Can Pittsburgh support an NBA franchise?

mercurypa

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBA came to Pittsburgh last night. The Cleveland Cavalier's and Mark Cuban's Dallas Mavericks played to an exhibition game in half-full Mellon Arena. Here's some media reaction:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=ApN...?gid=2006102505

"The Cavaliers are trying to build a fan base in Pittsburgh, a two-hour drive from Cleveland. Cavs games are regularly televised locally, and the club has begun marketing in a region where the University of Pittsburgh has sold out its home games for four seasons."

Personally, I'll never root for a Cleveland team! Not even their NBA squad! Boo! haha

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_476684.html

"There remains considerable doubt as to whether Pittsburgh is willing to warmly welcome the NBA beyond a once-per-year practice game.

"I love coming to Pittsburgh," said Cleveland Cavalier Donyell Marshall, a Steelers fan. "But this is a college basketball town." "

"A preference for team play over individual performance also might make the NBA a hard sell on fans in this region.

Witness the popularity of the men's basketball program at Pitt, where teams are praised for their fortified toughness."

I totally agree with that. Pittsburghers have never cared for flashy hot-dog antics in sports.... which is why I don't think this market would ever be receptive to the NBA in its current state.

No, Pittsburgh isn't about flash or idolizing individual players (Big Ben). The reaction this is as expected for this area. A half-full arena for another cities' team still shows there is interest in basketball. I am more interested in diversifying our area and expanding choices for future residents, and not just those who have been here forever. I don't even care about these sports myself, but I am in favor of brining choice and change to the area.

Archived