CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

CVB unveils plan for Tourism

This is exactly the vision and the plan that Greenville needs to become another Asheville, tourism-wise. It's agreat idea and fortunately the County Councl seems at least open to the idea, if not totally sold on it.

I would assume this plan includes the Rails-To-Trails plan and perhaps the Kroc Center too.

Let's move forward with this.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CVB unveils plan for Tourism

This is exactly the vision and the plan that Greenville needs to become another Asheville, tourism-wise. It's agreat idea and fortunately the County Councl seems at least open to the idea, if not totally sold on it.

I would assume this plan includes the Rails-To-Trails plan and perhaps the Kroc Center too.

Let's move forward with this.

I hope you only mean "another Asheville" in terms of the amount of tourists attracted, because I don't want Greenville to go after the kind of tourism Asheville has. Asheville is unique, and serves a purpose for people interested in the mountains/Biltmore/etc., but I think Greenville has other qualities that make it a different destination for travelers.

I have to trust that these people know what they are talking about, because I never would have thought about building a tourism plan around Caesar's Head and improved city parks. To me, those things are great for QOL if you live in a city, but not exactly a reason to visit a place for a long weekend. It seems that more (and better) attractions are going to cause people to spend their time and money in an area - an "if you build it, they will come" philosophy. Otherwise, Greenville is going to seem boring for someone wanting to pack in the activities for 3 or 4 days (especially if you aren't an outdoorsy person).

We have to be creative, because Greenville doesn't have an extensively noteworthy history, or government, or a major university. You know?

Sure, having a great network of trails and parks is a Quality of Life thing, but it is also something that could attract visitors from nearby locations as well. Perhaps not for a long weekend, but moreso for a "day trip over to Greenville." If nothing else, this network may be used as a way to connect everything together for outdoor enthusiasts more than anything.

Considering unique attractions, perhaps we should leave the mountain climbing and mountain biking to Asheville; however, we do have our own share of natrual resources that serve as attractions. Caesar's Head and the MBWA are just a couple of them. There's also canoeing, kayaking, stream fishing, etc., to be done in our back yard. And, as far as state parks are concerned, Paris Mountain State Park is one that is, in my humble opinion, a jewel of a resource right in our back yard. It's also something that could be improved a great deal for our own quality of life as well as to be an attraction for visitors.

Not to steal an idea from Chattanooga, Pittsburgh, or Colorado Springs, but an incline rail service climbing from somewhere in Travelers Rest to a nicely-designed and well-maintained overlook at the top of Paris Mountain wouldn't be such a bad idea. Perhaps even a laser light show honoring Dr. Townes and our regional history could be projected on the crag on the side of Paris Mountain (after the spray paint were cleaned off, of course) on Saturdays throughout the summer (I know - Stone Mountain, GA already does this, but I'm sure we can come up with something unique).

Also, consider the reputation that we're quickly gaining amongst serious cyclists and runners. The USA Cycling Pro Championships was awesome, but don't overlook the Spinx Run Fest that's coming up at the end of October. Many of these athletes from around the area may very well find Greenville the ideal place for a weekend getaway.

And, let's not overlook the West End District, Falls Park, Baseball (during the summer time), and all that is becoming. That's enough right there to keep someone busy for a weekend.

The Video version of the WYFF story did mention the 'linkage' aspect of this. Linking up the DT/West End experience with Ceasar's Head, and other outdoor/mountain experiences etc.

There is actually PLENTY for a tourist to do on a long weekend, there is just no coordination or serious promotion of these places/events. The range could be from the very casual outdoor enthusiast / strolling shopper to the serious mountain biking/hiking/climber.

There are already dozeens and dozens of trails, overlooks, waterfalls, etc. in northern Greenville County, but again there is no promotion or coordination of these. The Rails to Trails will do a lot to link something together, but there would still be gaps, that need to be filled.

My use of Asheville is based on the mountain/outdoors/unique DT offering to the target market.

85% of what is needed is there, we just need to tie everythign together, fill in the gaps that exist and put some serious money into coordination and promotion.

My first two summers here, I spent probably half of the warm weather weekends at one trail/waterfall/hike or another. Of course, many were in Oconee or Pickens, but those areasa can be hooked into this too.

IMO, this is the most under-appreciated, overlooked asset that the upstate has.

There is actually PLENTY for a tourist to do on a long weekend, there is just no coordination or serious promotion of these places/events.

85% of what is needed is there, we just need to tie everythign together, fill in the gaps that exist and put some serious money into coordination and promotion.

I agree with you 100%. It all starts with an organized effort with a look and feel that ties together for a complete package promoting our area. It's just a matter of someone coordinating it all and having the budget to do it.

This may be something very simple, but we could really capitalize better on the South Carolina Welcome Centers on I-85, especially the one entering SC from GA. These are prime locations in wich to promote our area. I'm not sure what exactly can be done, but there is much room for improvement. Perhaps a rock climbing wall for kids and someone from the area there to assist and provide information to interested parties? Things along this line.

Additionally, I wonder if the rest area on I-385 down in Laurens County can be well stocked with a well organized line of matrials promoting Greenville to people who may otherwise be passing through to Atlanta or elsewhere?

I wonder if it might be more effective and better use of resources for the Greenville CVB to more actively cooperate with Oconee, Pickens, Henderson (NC), the isothermal region of NC, maybe even the Asheville area to form a regional tourist attraction area.

I think that's probably the next wave in tourism--regional tourism. I've heard such a concept mentioned for the Lowcountry, from Charleston through Beaufort and Hilton Head on to Savannah and the GA Sea Islands. Something like this has the potential to work in the Upstate and parts of western NC.

I think that's probably the next wave in tourism--regional tourism. I've heard such a concept mentioned for the Lowcountry, from Charleston through Beaufort and Hilton Head on to Savannah and the GA Sea Islands. Something like this has the potential to work in the Upstate and parts of western NC.

Reminds me of the Heritage Corridor in western S.C. This is an effective "regional tourism" attraction.

This whole plan sounds great to me. I would also love to see unique small clusters of shops/cafes setup along the trail at various points to encourage more traffic and more interest. Funny thing is that I had already thought of this before today. :thumbsup:

I really like RT's laser light show idea. That is incredibly unique, yet very true to Greenville's past. I even liked some of the ideas mentioned here for lasers being used around the city on a regular basis (if not every night). If tastefully done, I think it would look very cool and innovative rather than silly and juvenile.

Hmmm, anyone else hate the idea of the laser light show at (or ON) Paris Mtn? Makes me shudder. (Sorry RT.)

Heheh. :lol: I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Well, it's not exactly on all of Paris Mountain...just the exposed rock face (crag). Anything's better than all of that graffiti, no? Even if it were just done on special occasions such as holidays and for the bike races/etc., it would be pretty unique and cool.

If you would like to see info on of all this or/and download a copy of the transportation plan then go here: http://greenvilleforward.com/Main%20Pages/TRAC.htm

I try to keep ranting and raving to a minimum, but this deserves major raving. Everybody download both the slide shows (you'll need PowerPoint) on this page and flip through the various plans. You won't be disappointed.

That tourism presentation is definitely worth a rave!

Athough the city has done much to provide more wayfinding signs downtown, I still think overall street signage throughout the city is lacking and too small for most to read quickly while driving by.

I find the fact that visitors want a dueling piano bar interesting. I don't think the city of Greenville would go for that though, considering their recent history on places that serve alcoholic beverages. We had a couple of those back in Orlando: Howl at the Moon and Blazing Pianos. They were just a good place to go and drink and have a good time. I rather enjoyed Howl at the Moon when it was located on Church Street there.

I also find it VERY interesting that there is no reliable data on tourism for Greenville?!?!? You've got to be kidding me. That's half of the battle right there. How do you ever determine where you want to go if you don't know where you are?

I think they absolutely NAILED the "Core Values" for Tourism Development on Slide 17, which mirrors what we've been discussing here.

And, I must say that the word "GO" is something else that has been absolutely NAILED here, too (see Slide 30). That's the unifying theme that can be used to tie everything together, from attraction-specific tourist information brochures and regional visitor's guides to billboards and even post cards. They forgot "GO Shop" or "GO Run" though. ;)

I don't much care for what they've proposed for Caesar's Head though. (to borrow adrockc2's image posted above):

267434163_f65b184b31.jpg

That overlook is just a bit much and seems to have been suggested without anyone proposing this having actually visited the site itself. I'd much rather see something like that overlook constructed at the top of Paris Mountain with a regional interpretation center located there that directs people to take notice of Table Rock / Caesar's Head / etc. and provides them with more information and details on how to get there.

Of course, there's one major obstacle that I can see here. There's the little problem of what to do with Poinsett Highway betwween Downtown and Cherrydale. It's an eyesore and needs some investment and work to improve this as literally being a senic gateway between Downtown Greenville and the mountains. If I were a visitor, I wouldn't want to venture far beyond Stone Avenue without being struck with an overwhelming urge to turn around and go back. :sick:

One thing of note that really stands out personally to me from the TRAC Plan presentation is the suggestion that acquatic centers are developed (Slide 7). I find this extremely interesting as the acquatic centers we already have don't seem to be doing very well at all financially. My daughter, up until September, was taking swimming lessons at Westside Acquatic Center. When we went to sign her up for the next session of lessons which had been scheduled, we found that the schedule was gone and that no more classes have been scheduled. I sent e-mail to the e-mail address provided on the GCRD web site only to have it bounced back to me "address unknown." This doesn't bode well at all.

I agree that acquatic centers at key locations throughout the county would be a plus for Quality of Life. It'd be nice to have one up here in T.R.. In fact, Poinsett Park in Travelers Rest would be absolutely ideal for a second water park. However, with the perceived problems that the GCRD is having with operating existing facilities such as Westside Aquatic Center, I don't see how that's going to be possible.

It'd also be nice if Travelers Rest could somehow acquire the old T.R. High School property from Greenville County as well as the available property near the hold T.R.H.S. and create a "destination park" very similar to Heritage Park down in Simpsonville (Slide 23). That place is awesome. A couple of years ago, we very seriously entertained selling our home in T.R. and buying a house in a neighborhood right next door to Heritage Park...that's how much of a draw something like that could be.

I am just starting to look at the PowerPoint presentation, but I had to stop and post what I saw on slide #3:

"What have we learnt from our research & enquiry?"

I know I am being picky, and most people do not care about grammar, but anything released to the public should be spellchecked. Did nobody involved with this presentation know that "learnt" isn't a word?!?

Okay, back to viewing the presentation...

It'd also be nice if Travelers Rest could somehow acquire the old T.R. High School property from Greenville County as well as the available property near the hold T.R.H.S. and create a "destination park" very similar to Heritage Park down in Simpsonville (Slide 23). That place is awesome. A couple of years ago, we very seriously entertained selling our home in T.R. and buying a house in a neighborhood right next door to Heritage Park...that's how much of a draw something like that could be.

Again, my church uses the old TR High (presently used by Lakeside Middle while under renovation) for Sunday services. I can tell you that once the Middle school moves out at the end of this school year, that the city of TR has iplans for that building for city use. Which means we'll have to build our own building soon enough, but that's our problem.

But that is all I know at this point

I am just starting to look at the PowerPoint presentation, but I had to stop and post what I saw on slide #3:

"What have we learnt from our research & enquiry?"

I know I am being picky, and most people do not care about grammar, but anything released to the public should be spellchecked. Did nobody involved with this presentation know that "learnt" isn't a word?!?

Okay, back to viewing the presentation...

Wait until you get to "unspoilt." :rolleyes:

Again, my church uses the old TR High (presently used by Lakeside Middle while under renovation) for Sunday services. I can tell you that once the Middle school moves out at the end of this school year, that the city of TR has iplans for that building for city use.

:offtopic: Mayor Reynolds has told that he'd prefer to use the old T.R.H.S./current Lakeview Middle School as a community center and park-and-walk/ride for the trail. I could eventually see city government offices moving into the school as the mayor has described it, but I'd prefer to see the entire area used as a destination park similar to Heritage.

It's cool that some York County facilities/events were mentioned in the TRAC presentation in connection with the sports tourism niche that Rock Hill/York County has managed to carve out for itself. As a matter of fact, the US Disc Golf Championship is going on now on Winthrop's campus; it's been held here for the past several years. I really think the Greenville area is ripe for the development of a coordinated sports tourism sector.

One thing of note that really stands out personally to me from the TRAC Plan presentation is the suggestion that acquatic centers are developed (Slide 7). I find this extremely interesting as the acquatic centers we already have don't seem to be doing very well at all financially. My daughter, up until September, was taking swimming lessons at Westside Acquatic Center. When we went to sign her up for the next session of lessons which had been scheduled, we found that the schedule was gone and that no more classes have been scheduled. I sent e-mail to the e-mail address provided on the GCRD web site only to have it bounced back to me "address unknown." This doesn't bode well at all.

I agree that acquatic centers at key locations throughout the county would be a plus for Quality of Life. It'd be nice to have one up here in T.R.. In fact, Poinsett Park in Travelers Rest would be absolutely ideal for a second water park. However, with the perceived problems that the GCRD is having with operating existing facilities such as Westside Aquatic Center, I don't see how that's going to be possible.

S.A.I.L. is the largest youth swimming program in the nation. I doubt it was due to lack of interest. the WAC has been extremely useful since day one, but the addition of so many olympic pools in newer subdivisions probably has an affect to some degree.

I really like RT's laser light show idea. That is incredibly unique, yet very true to Greenville's past. I even liked some of the ideas mentioned here for lasers being used around the city on a regular basis (if not every night). If tastefully done, I think it would look very cool and innovative rather than silly and juvenile.

Around the city, yes. But, please, please, please, let's not have this on PM. Maybe I am missing something and just can't see how this could be tastefully done... JMHO. Although, I DO agree that ridding the face of graffiti is a grand idea. :D

Archived