CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

S.A.I.L. is the largest youth swimming program in the nation. I doubt it was due to lack of interest. the WAC has been extremely useful since day one, but the addition of so many olympic pools in newer subdivisions probably has an affect to some degree.

To some extent that would make sense. One of the things that was refreshnig moving here from Florida is that there are neighborhood pools in practically every subdivision rather than in everybody's back yard. It's a much more efficient use of water. However, the thing that's really got me scratching my head is that these were autumn and winter classes which have been cancelled and the pool at Westside is indoors. I'd really be curious to know what happened there. Team Greenville still seems to be going strong and the pool's still open for business (from 9am - 11am ONLY), but all of the classes are history. I suspect it was some budgetary shortfall that forced the cutbacks.

Around the city, yes. But, please, please, please, let's not have this on PM. Maybe I am missing something and just can't see how this could be tastefully done... JMHO. Although, I DO agree that ridding the face of graffiti is a grand idea. :D

If anybody can pull off "tastefully done" with a laser light show on Paris Mountain, it's our community. :thumbsup: But, if it's any consolation, I hear ya.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

My neighborhood has been re-districted and I now have a new County Councilman (Willis Meadows) instead of Joe Dill, whom we have had since we've lived here. I'm just curious whether Mr. Meadows supports this plan or not. :unsure: Anybody know? I know Joe Dill was a supporter, but can I count on Willis Meadows to represent me?

My neighborhood has been re-districted and I now have a new County Councilman (Willis Meadows) instead of Joe Dill, whom we have had since we've lived here. I'm just curious whether Mr. Meadows supports this plan or not. :unsure: Anybody know? I know Joe Dill was a supporter, but can I count on Willis Meadows to represent me?

Haven't a clue. You can watch a video of a campaign appearance here: http://www.theuyr.org/meadows.wmv

But I wouldn't read the tea leaves too much, unknown I guess is the best answer.

He was just elected, so there is no way to know at this point, unless you ask him. Let him know your thoughts.

He was just elected, so there is no way to know at this point, unless you ask him. Let him know your thoughts.

I plan to do just that as soon as I can figure out how to get in touch with him. We'll see what he has to say. Hey vwsam, you should chime in and let him know your thoughts as well, man! :thumbsup:

I plan to do just that as soon as I can figure out how to get in touch with him. We'll see what he has to say. Hey vwsam, you should chime in and let him know your thoughts as well, man! :thumbsup:

I met him - he lives in the neighborhood somewhere....

This goes along with tourism....

Just reading a post at a competing UP site (not sure if we are suppose to post links, so I won't), and one of the posters was an Atlanta resident. Paid Greenville a huge compliment.....said he had stopped on the way back from Asheville and spent the day. Loved downtown. He also went on to say the Atlantans who are "clued-in" know about about downtown Greenville and do the same. Nice to see our Atlanta neighbors using Greenville as part of a weekend getaway. :)

Just reading a post at a competing UP site (not sure if we are suppose to post links, so I won't), and one of the posters was an Atlanta resident. Paid Greenville a huge compliment.....said he had stopped on the way back from Asheville and spent the day. Loved downtown. He also went on to say the Atlantans who are "clued-in" know about about downtown Greenville and do the same. Nice to see our Atlanta neighbors using Greenville as part of a weekend getaway. :)

They stop in traveling from places like Asheville, the mountains, and Charlotte. Not at all surprising, since so many Atlanta metro license plates can be seen around town everyday. Great compliment and it goes right along with the city's plans to make downtown (the hub of regional tourism) even better than it already is! I noticed 2 new ads for the Upstate in the travel section of the latest Southern Living magazine. One was the Pendleton region, the other is from the Greenville CVB. Check out the new 3-day weekend packages on their website.

Could the acronym for the competing website stand for "Sexy South Carolina"? ;)

Not at all surprising, since so many Atlanta metro license plates can be seen around town everyday.

Amen to that. I see Fulton, Dekalb, Gwinnett, etc. all around town every time I go out. I've been having a hard time discerning whether these were just visitors or people who have relocated to Greenville from Atlanta, though. Every time I speak to folks from my Atlanta Office, they seem to be pretty well clued in about Greenville and what's going on here, so I do suspect we get quite a few visitors.

• 1 month later...

J. Dill will return, Meadows replacing M. Kinsbury, if I am not mistaken. What areas were re-districted? I missed that.

J. Dill will return, Meadows replacing M. Kinsbury, if I am not mistaken. What areas were re-districted? I missed that.

My neighborhood, was at one time in Joe Dill's district. Now, Willis Meadows is our county councilman, so something must have changed. Either that or they've been directing me to the wrong voting booths all along. :lol:

You guys will love this article. One of the writers for the travel section for an Orange County, California newspaper, wrote a long article listing all his favorite world wide travels from 2006....favorite hotel, favorite bar, favorite city, etc, etc.....each has one or two runners-up.

He listed Chattanooga, TN as his FAVORITE CITY with Greenville, SC / Salt Lake City / Bishop, CA as runners-up for favorite city. He also listed one of favorite lunches as Hot Dog King in Greenville. Read the entire article.....Greenville is in some GREAT company! :thumbsup:

Nice to see this kind of press for Greenville from the West Coast....especially the LA area. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...el/16328293.htm

My neighborhood, was at one time in Joe Dill's district. Now, Willis Meadows is our county councilman, so something must have changed. Either that or they've been directing me to the wrong voting booths all along. :lol:

The county's gis website has a feature that allows you to see which district you are in. Search for your property, then go to layers. Under Political, you will find Greenville County Council District.

www.gcgis.org/webmappub

The county's gis website has a feature that allows you to see which district you are in. Search for your property, then go to layers. Under Political, you will find Greenville County Council District.

www.gcgis.org/webmappub

Thanks! I'll apply that layer and see what it says. I thought my voter registration card also tells me what district I'm in, but I see that it doesn't.

Archived