CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

You guys will love this article. One of the writers for the travel section for an Orange County, California newspaper, wrote a long article listing all his favorite world wide travels from 2006....favorite hotel, favorite bar, favorite city, etc, etc.....each has one or two runners-up.

He listed Chattanooga, TN as his FAVORITE CITY with Greenville, SC / Salt Lake City / Bishop, CA as runners-up for favorite city. He also listed one of favorite lunches as Hot Dog King in Greenville. Read the entire article.....Greenville is in some GREAT company! :thumbsup:

Nice to see this kind of press for Greenville from the West Coast....especially the LA area. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...el/16328293.htm

As you said, that is GREAT company for our fair city to be amongst. :yahoo:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A really good article on the plan to increase tourism in the area:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../701020331/1056

Thanks for posting this, gsupstate! The mountain adventure park sure does sound interesting. I can't wait to see the tree canopy. :shades:

I'm rather bummed that the rails-to-trails project likely won't be completed by the end of 2007, but at least some progress will be made on it. :thumbsup:

Perfect Storm brewing for Tourism ???

Sanford wants to double Tourism Marketing

Swap could open Vista

Outdoors outlook for 2007

With all of these things starting up simultaneously, it's not to hard to see that in 4-5 years the amount of tourism in Greenville and the Upstate could take a very big jump.

This whole thing is reminding me of Charleston in the 1970's, when it went from a state-wide tourist spot to a regional then national tourist destination. Of course eventually even an international destination.

Very exciting indeed !! :yahoo:

I would say Greenville is rapidly emerging as a regional destination today, with so many visitors from neighboring states and beyond already in town everyday. The national appeal is on its way up as well, with major events such as the BMW Charity Pro-Am and the US Pro Cycling Championships, not to mention several annual regional events growing in appeal nationally - such as Fall for Greenville and Artisphere. There are many other reasons to consider that possibility that Greenville will definitely grow into a more prominent tourist destination, but none match the potential that our wonderful natural setting in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains offer. With finely tuned vision and fortitue, Greenville will continue to impress and attract all people who truely love life. :shades:

Thanks! I'll apply that layer and see what it says. I thought my voter registration card also tells me what district I'm in, but I see that it doesn't.

But yes it does ... it's just on the part that most people tear off. And of course if your card predates any redistricting, then it wouldn't necessarily be correct now.

I would say Greenville is rapidly emerging as a regional destination today, with so many visitors from neighboring states and beyond already in town everyday. The national appeal is on its way up as well, with major events such as the BMW Charity Pro-Am and the US Pro Cycling Championships, not to mention several annual regional events growing in appeal nationally - such as Fall for Greenville and Artisphere. There are many other reasons to consider that possibility that Greenville will definitely grow into a more prominent tourist destination, but none match the potential that our wonderful natural setting in the beautiful foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains offer. With finely tuned vision and fortitue, Greenville will continue to impress and attract all people who truely love life. :shades:

I think it would be wonderful if Mast General would create a "tourist history wall" and display all their "Guest Books" from the day they opened. Mast puts out a new book each time one fills up. If you guys have ever looked at the book there in the entrance, people from all over the world have signed it. It does give a good idea of the scope of Greenville's tourism. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

A lot of different leaders from around the area in different organizations and government agencies are stepping up to the plate and trying to make the Greenville MSA a tourist destination similiar to Charleston. Here is more information on the on going developments with this project: http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EWS01/703100342 Thoughts and opinions?

That is a very nice article, basically updating what the original plan talked about. I am enthusiastic about Greenville's booming tourism industry. It is awesome to see so many (and I mean MANY) visitors from other states on a non-stop basis. Greenville's secret is out and nothing can be done to hide it. Now it is up to us to continue adding the World-class elements that will bring people in from around the globe for many more decades. :shades:

This quote from the article perfectly summarizes the "can do" attitude of our city:

GreenvilleCanDo_01b2.jpg

I would add that it is our responsibility to get out and make these things happen. While Greenville has been rolling along and gaining a reputation around the nation, we must carry the torch into every corner of the World we travel, even if it is somewhere in Greenville County. We should constantly show our pride in this great place and tell others about the opportunities they can find here.

This quote from the article perfectly summarizes the "can do" attitude of our city:

GreenvilleCanDo_01b2.jpg

I would add that it is our responsibility to get out and make these things happen. While Greenville has been rolling along and gaining a reputation around the nation, we must carry the torch into every corner of the World we travel, even if it is somewhere in Greenville County. We should constantly show our pride in this great place and tell others about the opportunities they can find here.

Who IS Paul anyway?

I think the part about increasing marketing efforts locally ties in well with recent talks of efforts to better market the state as far as tourism is concerned (both coastal and non-coastal areas). A statewide marketing effort combined with local efforts should result in a nice boost in tourism for both Greenville and the Upstate.

He is the Greenville County Clerk of Court, according to the county government website.

As well as being the current Clerk of Court, I'm pretty sure that Paul Wickensimer used to be on County Council.

He was on County Council for about 10 years, he has been Clerk of Court of Court for about 5 years or so, done a fine job of it I understand.

GreenvilleCanDo_01b2.jpg

This is why I fell in love with the place. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting the comment Skyliner. :thumbsup:

This plan is totally do-able and in fact long overdue. The recognition of just how much Tourism could be increased, and the benefits it could have, has been exponential in the last few years. The key is to keep the momentum going and continue to build on it.

I am old enough to remember when Charleston's tourism was a small fraction of it's current level. So to me, there is nothing pie-in-the-sky about this plan.

Adding these attractions would be a major increase to the quality of life of RESIDENTS as well as tourists.

Maybe the 'Go Experience' visitor's Center should be a component of the Woolworth/B of A redevelopment. Having a re-done Piazza Bergamo, a Borders, a movie multiplex and/or an independent film theater combined with the Go Experience visitor's Center would be the destination that brings the entire DT area (and particularly the CBD part of Main) to a whole new level.

This plan is totally do-able and in fact long overdue. The recognition of just how much Tourism could be increased, and the benefits it could have, has been exponential in the last few years. The key is to keep the momentum going and continue to build on it.

I am old enough to remember when Charleston's tourism was a small fraction of it's current level. So to me, there is nothing pie-in-the-sky about this plan.

Adding these attractions would be a major increase to the quality of life of RESIDENTS as well as tourists.

Maybe the 'Go Experience' visitor's Center should be a component of the Woolworth/B of A redevelopment. Having a re-done Piazza Bergamo, a Borders, a movie multiplex and/or an independent film theater combined with the Go Experience visitor's Center would be the destination that brings the entire DT area (and particularly the CBD part of Main) to a whole new level.

I really like your idea, vicupstate. The Woolworth/B of A site seems perfect for the Go Experience and Visitor's Center. It also seems like a logical place for our Greenville merchandise store. :thumbsup:

I really like your idea, vicupstate. The Woolworth/B of A site seems perfect for the Go Experience and Visitor's Center. It also seems like a logical place for our Greenville merchandise store. :thumbsup:

While I don't think there are any bad locations on Main Street for a GO Center, I would rather see it placed on the Reedy River somewhere, with a family tubing station. :D I wonder if the interactive "Swiss Family Robinson-style" tree is still planned? That would definitely be a draw as well.

Basically I am saying that I love the idea and hope it is built on or near Main Street somewhere (that's where the vast majority of pedestrians are, afterall), but think the interactive part could be much larger than the indoor demonstrations and retail. It could easily become a family outdoors center with plenty of fun options to enjoy right there. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if the perfect location would eventually be at the future Cleveland Park West site, on the Reedy River. You've got a fantastic running/biking/tram trail connecting other parts of the city and county, you've got tons of potential in the river, plus the large open park would be a perfect gathering place for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages. Perhaps a visitors center (City Hall?) could link the GO Center to Main Street and a trolley or two could be specially designated to transfer people between the two.

I'm thinking out loud, so these are nothing but vague concepts. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good to see George the Train doing well, but I wonder if it would be better moved to West End or an area around Downtown instead of it's current home at the Pavillion. Could be a kid friendly tourist draw for families in West End if done right. Imagine George running by Linky Stone Childrens Park....connecting to West End Field or Falls Park. Throw in some creativity (tunnels, rail line following the greenway, overpasses, etc)....could be kind of cute and fun. Another building block for family entertainment. :dontknow:

http://www.wyff4.com/news/11511937/detail.html

Archived