CVB unveils plan to make Gville a major Tourist destination.

vicupstate

The train did used to downtown but I would love concepts like that to be used in urban and suburan settings. I always have been fascinated by the features and layout of amusement parks but at the same time I hate to go because of the high prices for admission, food, etc. While not exciting as the high budget feature roller coasters I always enjoyed the old timey trains because of the old time machienery, the smell of the creosote in the railroad ties, the sound of the whistle and the speed that allows you to take things in at a slower but respectable pace. I enjoy the "mine train" style roller coasters as well. I guess I'm just a freak for that creosote and wood smell. I'd love for a more adult size train to go back and forth between parts of town.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I was the only freak that loves the smell of creosote. :lol:

When they spray a parking lot with the new black covering over an existing paved lot, it must contain creosote, because I always notice that same smell.

Jet exhaust is a great smell too.

I thought I was the only freak that loves the smell of creosote. :lol:

When they spray a parking lot with the new black covering over an existing paved lot, it must contain creosote, because I always notice that same smell.

Jet exhaust is a great smell too.

I like the smell of new plastic. I think it goes back to my childhood, and the memory of opening a He-Man or Marvel Comics plastic action figure. :lol:

I like mine trains, too. :thumbsup:

The train did used to downtown but I would love concepts like that to be used in urban and suburan settings. I always have been fascinated by the features and layout of amusement parks but at the same time I hate to go because of the high prices for admission, food, etc. While not exciting as the high budget feature roller coasters I always enjoyed the old timey trains because of the old time machienery, the smell of the creosote in the railroad ties, the sound of the whistle and the speed that allows you to take things in at a slower but respectable pace. I enjoy the "mine train" style roller coasters as well. I guess I'm just a freak for that creosote and wood smell. I'd love for a more adult size train to go back and forth between parts of town.

It used to be at MacPherson Park, correct?

• 1 month later...

Tourism looks to be well on it's way. While walking with my coffee this morning in West End, in the span of about 3 minutes:

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01518.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

I see an assortment of license plates every time I go downtown. I often wonder, though...HOW MANY OF THESE ARE TOURISTS AND HOW MANY ARE PEOPLE THAT HAVE RECENTLY RELOCATED INTO THE AREA FROM THESE OTHER PLACES? :dontknow:

This plan is awesome. :yahoo:

Here are the renderings from the presentation.

267434154_6077957566.jpg

267434157_726fd8bdb5.jpg

267434160_9dfa2b052d.jpg

267434163_f65b184b31.jpg

267434164_4d5d4417b5.jpg

Was looking back through these renderings, and overall like what they show. Anyone know what (and where) the second one is showing exactly? Is it where and what the Go center would be? Also, anyone heard anything about when the GO center will happen (if)?

I see an assortment of license plates every time I go downtown. I often wonder, though...HOW MANY OF THESE ARE TOURISTS AND HOW MANY ARE PEOPLE THAT HAVE RECENTLY RELOCATED INTO THE AREA FROM THESE OTHER PLACES? :dontknow:

:offtopic: It wouldn't surprise me with people not changing vehicle registrations, but SC is such a bargain for car taxes and insurance, I don't know why anyone wouldn't. I remember seeing scores of people from everywhere but SC at the Laurens Rd DMV finally waiting until their licenses expired to change over. Of course, I just had to spend $145 to change my drivers license from SC to MA. I'm still kicking myself, alas, the joys of living in the Peoples Republic.

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly what the 2nd rendering shows.

I realize these are just crude drawings, but is that what the old library would look like if redseigned? I like the foot bridge a lot! And what is across from the old library? It looks like a building, or two, but nothing like the current BB&T building.

Nice article BTW. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Charlotte's CVB has a pretty good campaign going right now... "Shhhhhharlotte" usually shown with various people (Panther players, Bobcats players, NASCAR drivers such as Jimmy Johnson, Homer the Dragon (the Knight's mascot), etc. with a finger over their mouth, as if telling you to hush and keep Charlotte a secret."

All that aside, my point is that this campaign is brilliant and a campaign like this would have worked well for Greenville. Of course, if Greenville started with "Ch" instead of "Gr," it would have worked much better (and no wise comments about Martin or Charlie Sheen, either!) :lol:

Charlotte's CVB has a pretty good campaign going right now... "Shhhhhharlotte" usually shown with various people (Panther players, Bobcats players, NASCAR drivers such as Jimmy Johnson, Homer the Dragon (the Knight's mascot), etc. with a finger over their mouth, as if telling you to hush and keep Charlotte a secret."

All that aside, my point is that this campaign is brilliant and a campaign like this would have worked well for Greenville. Of course, if Greenville started with "Ch" instead of "Gr," it would have worked much better (and no wise comments about Martin or Charlie Sheen, either!) :lol:

Shhhhh*t! :lol:

I have seen that campaign, it's really clever.

How about Grrrrrreat for Greenville. tony-new.gif

Has there been much progress with the new plan unveiled by the CVB? I have not heard too much about it lately.

After checking out SSHHHHHARRRR(UGH!)LLOOTTESS CVB website, It made me take a another look at ours and find it a lil bit dissapointing considering all this unveiling going on. While being fairly informative, its not very well designed at getting the big bullet points across to first time visitors when they hit the home page. How about they unveil a plan to fix that?

I also think our local and not so local tour guides need to step up and try to work on packages with local hotels like the Hampton, Hyatt, and Westin. If they do already, forgive my ignorance. I see links to weekend packages on the CVB site, but they lead to email addresses. If I didnt know what to look or ask for, that would not do me much good. Sure would be cool to see some flashy white water rafting, tubing, fishing, hiking, biking, music, theatre, etc links with various packages and hotel, Inn, and B&B recommendations somewhere centrally located somewhere.

While on this topic, why not market this to LOCALS too? I bet many people that live here could benefit from knowing more about what Greenville has to offer.

(ranting over) :wacko:

After checking out SSHHHHHARRRR(UGH!)LLOOTTESS CVB website, It made me take a another look at ours and find it a lil bit dissapointing considering all this unveiling going on. While being fairly informative, its not very well designed at getting the big bullet points across to first time visitors when they hit the home page. How about they unveil a plan to fix that?

See Skyliners post several posts above in this thread. The CVB will launch a new website on September 1 (about 2 1/2 months away). :thumbsup: So yes, they are unveiling. Stay tuned.

A nice folded brochure from the CVB was inserted into last week's Greenville Journal. It includes lots of information about various ways the organization is working to improve and promote Greenville's attractiveness around the nation and the world. Beyond that, much has been happening behind the scene and we can expect to see the implementation of individual elements included in the master plan soon. If you really want to have a voice in this city's future, plan on attending at least a portion of next week's charrette. :shades:

See Skyliners post several posts above in this thread. The CVB will launch a new website on September 1 (about 2 1/2 months away). :thumbsup: So yes, they are unveiling. Stay tuned.

...if it was a snake, it would have bit me! Thanks for pointing out what was right in front of my face! :wacko:

I can't wait to see it and hope it turns out well.

One thing I think might be a good idea for cities in s.c. is to have more commercials aimed at out of state tourism. Often when i'm out of town I've notice commercials for other states. Such as Asheville, N.C. , Daytona and Orlando Fla, I even saw a commercial once for Charleston, West Virgina. But I've never seen a commercial for any city in S.C. besides Myrtle Beach. I think this would be a good ideal to promote more out of state tourisms.

Archived