Anybody else had their credit card # stolen recently?

Vitamin_N

Hey all,

This is kind of a long shot, but here goes... a co-worker and I both recently had our credit card numbers stolen (just the numbers, not the cards). All of the fraudulent charges were done at places in Charlotte, so it seems like the thefts were done locally, not via internet/data theft.

It may just be coincidence, but it seems odd that both of us had our numbers stolen at about the same time. We were wondering if maybe our credit card numbers were stolen while we were eating lunch together, since that's the only time both of us would have had our credit cards exposed and vulnerable at the same place. Toward that point, has anybody else here who works downtown (or uptown, whatever) and eats out for lunch had their number stolen in the past couple of weeks, or do you know of somebody who has?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luckily I havn't had any of those problems, but have you reported this credit card # theft to CMPD?

No, I haven't... I was wondering if that would be worthwhile at all.

In other news, I just found out that a co-worker's friend who works uptown has had her # stolen twice in the last month. That's just ridiculous.

Yes I have had my credit card number stolen recently. It was stolen in late August and over the month of September $600 worth of charges were charged onto my card. My card was not stolen either, just the numbers. I do not work uptown, but I do work in Dilworth and eat in fast food places that are close to uptown. I used my credit card for a short time because my debit card was unfortunately deactived because my bank was senidng me a new one. By the way, I need to get an elected official to sign my applicatio for me to become a notary. What is the best way to find one and have them sign it?

Yes I have had my credit card number stolen recently. It was stolen in late August and over the month of September $600 worth of charges were charged onto my card. My card was not stolen either, just the numbers. I do not work uptown, but I do work in Dilworth and eat in fast food places that are close to uptown.

Were the fraudulent charges local or out-of-state/online? And have you bought anything at the airport recently? That's another common thread we've discovered.

Two weeks ago Vonage left me a voicemail from their fraud department asking me if I had opened an account with them recently. I called them back and said no I did not. The Vonage rep said "I didn't think so... something just didn't add up, which is why we contacted you". She wouldn't get into specifics but she told me the card they used and that the IP address was in Romania. They canceled the account and refunded the money. Of course I called Chase to cancel the card. That was the only bogus charge on it, thank goodness.

What's odd is that I don't carry the card in question, and haven't used it in over 6 months. I'm assuming someone in Europe obtained a list of stolen numbers... or some e-commerce site was hacked and the credit card numbers stolen.... happens all the time. But I'll likely never know how the card number got compromised. And how did the card thieves get my work # (which is what Vonage used to contact me)? :unsure:

I'm thankful to Vonage for their diligence!

That's pretty amazing that Vonage put two and two together. Usually it's a mindless computer putting everything together without noticing sore thumbs. I'm glad to see some companies out there are still reviewing files by hand.

I had a fraudulent charge on my Amex card about a year ago. It was for some credit check company in Arizona. I called Amex and they immediately got rid of the charge without even asking any questions. I didn't expect them to trust me without going into detail about the situation. Because of their excellent service with the first card, I opened another account with them after closing the first.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived