What's Going on in Hattiesburg?

jetjockey75

A few weeks ago I read an article that said police officers are quitting Hattiesburg's force right and left. And this morning, one of the talk radio shows said something to the effect that violence is getting out of hand down there; apparently a couple of people have been shot to death only two blocks from the police station. What's going on down there?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really bad mayor has let the police chief run out of control. Apparently the leadership here is horrible.

We had a great police chief in Columbus, but the micromanaging City Council basically ran him out of town. I guess the last straw was that he wanted to hire 10 more officers to get the department back up to full strength, and to give all officers raises to bring their salaries up to the level of other area PDs. Our incompetent, goofball council just COULDN'T STAND an expert telling them the best way to run his own department (especially since he is not from Columbus originally). And this is only the tip of the iceberg. Like you, I can't wait to get the hell out of here !!!

Move to Oxford and commute for three hours. Most people there think the police do too much.

Well, I had thought of moving over to Starkville, but something is going on there with gangs. Apparently, last Sunday night they had a big gang battle right on the main drag (Hwy 12), involving "hundreds" of people according to the media. :shok:

I wouldn't have imagined that in Starkville! It's amazing how things do change so quickly. By the way, it's great to see more people participating in the Mississippi forum! Keep it up guys! Tom

I'm not sure why so many gang bangers showed up there at once; I don't think they normally have a huge crime problem in Stark Patch.

I'm new to this board, but I hope more MS residents show up. We have lots of things to discuss!! :thumbsup:

Basically, some of the officers were sent to Iraq, then the pay wasn't that great for the ones who were still there so more left to take jobs elsewhere. Then the police chief said all the police officers who had left were rascist and left because they didn't like working for a black man (explain that the african-american cops who left). Then someone broke into City Hall and stole some hard drives and now there's a problem with gangs shooting people up. Some guy was kidnapped from his front yard one day while he was cutting his grass because he didn't have more than $10 on him (so the guy was kidnapped, taken to an ATM where he was forced at gunpoint to take more money out). Basically, the current mayor let the city go to pot b/c Hattiesburg used to be a really, nice, safe community. It was getting nominated for All-American City status and such. Of course, given the fact that the current Mayor had a financial supporter who was recently arrested by NARC agents because he was involved in drug trafficing didn't help things.

Oh and the local newspaper refuses to push the mayor's buttons on the city's problems (I've met Dupree, he was openly bragging about how he forced the Hattiesburg American to change it's city government reporter because he refused to talk to the old one.)

• 1 month later...

Hattiesburg High School Restoration Swings Into Gear

THe restoration of the former Hattiesburg High School is moving into high gear with the replacement of the original clay tiled roof. A grant from the MDAH has bade this possible. This ought to be a handsome project when finished.

The Hattiesburg American

• 3 weeks later...

What's Going on in Hattiesburg?

The Bad:

The mayor and city council dont work together.

The police department is suffering greatly under poor leadership.

A handful of residents in Hattiesburg scream RACE everytime they dont get what they want.

The city and The University of Southern Mississippi dont work together.

New growth and development has been poorly planned.

Many misaligned roads that cause traffic to route in unusual patterns.

No efforts mentioned to do any city "beautifcation" in newly developed areas. (landscaping and street lighting would be nice)

Housing developments that dont look anything like a "neighborhood" with any character, but rather over priced cow pastures that you have to drive miles down very dark, country roads to find.

The Good:

The addition of the new stores at Turtle Creek Crossing

The efforts to restore downtown Hattiesburg

The developements along I-59 (new theatre etc.)

The Cloverleaf Business Center and Wal-Mart saved south Hattiesburg!

Several new developments east of Hwy.49, heck, east of I-59! always appreciated

Suggestions:

Redevelop the area around USM... we are a university city, lets look like one!

Fix the key intersections in town that dont work well (and please, fix Hardy Street, this year!, not '09, '10, or 50 years from now)

Lamar county and the city of Hattiesburg need to work together to better plan growth and cooperation

Please someone paint stripes on the roads again, its really getting hard to dodge people going down the wrong way.

Please get street lights on Hwy. 98 and other roads in Lamar county (this is not just a city problem but county also)

Landscapeing in the city needs refreshing. City needs a facelift.

I love Hattiesburg and I could go on and on with suggestions. Lots of things would be accomplished if our mayor and other city employees would do what they are supposed to do.

Welcome to Urban Planet! It's great to see new life around here! I look forward to your observations in the future. As for Hattiesburg, it has been a long time since I have visited the city, but it appears to have a very good future. Once again, don't be a stranger to the board!

I agree with most of what you say usmguy, beautification along Hardy Street, from downtown to I-59, is a must - Redevelopment around the university is also a must - I would further suggest linking USM's campus to another asset of the city, Forrest General's campus - This could be explosive for the area

Regarding the mayor, he is apparently not for any of your previous suggestions - My question is, "What is he in favor of?" - Redevelopment in downtown is happening mostly through private investment and the HHDA, not city hall - This is frustrating for one from, and currently living in, the Hub

Oh well...

seems that there are a good number of new hotels being constructed, i can think of three right now, but none near the campus. i hate to say, but the area around the convention center look really rough. not much has been done to attract new development around our "crown jewel" office building. The old K-Mart center would make a better convention center (renovated of course).

I agree, the area between USM and Forrest General with high visibility from major roads, could be a very classy, very nice section of town.

It would mean a whole lot if the mayor would just talk to the people. We have no idea what his opinion on anything is. I about fell out of my chair when he was on WDAM commenting on the new generators at the water plants. I think thats the first time hes ever commented on anything.

I just wish he would answer the citizens, let us know what his plans are or if he cares one bit that our homocide rate is comparable (by population) to Jackson. He knows things are messed up and doesn't know what to do about it. The only residents he cares about are in his targeted voting demographics. I just wish citizens would stop playing politics and be realistic.

Honestly, why is there no "loud mouth" representative for the common sense side of Hattiesburg? All that ever gets press is the crazy accusations by the same handful of people / organizations.

The train station is undergoing renovation and is really beginning to look wonderful. I don't think there is any demand for hotel space in downtown, but apartments/condos and offices could make fill up the larger buildings. Thanks to mostly private investors, downtown is looking better each year.

• 1 month later...

New Developments for Purvis

I was surprised to see this article detailing several new developments in tiny Purvis. I suppose that since Katrina, it's not so tiny anymore. A 56 unit development of luxury condos? A four screen movie theater? This is more than I might have thought would be popping up here, but I expect that this is, directly or not, a result of Katrina's diaspora. All I really knew about Purvis was that the Amtrak Crescent used to stop there years ago. Maybe they could resurrect their train station....

The Clarion Ledger

• 2 months later...

The train depot is now complete. They celebrated it's grand opening on April 21st with a black tie gala. The depot looks wonderful and anyone making a stop down in Hattiesburg should definitely check it out. It's a wonderful addition to Downtown Hattiesburg, and Hattiesburg as a whole.

Archived