Wachovia Capital Center

JTsaysToYou

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Wachovia owns the building...but the owners are selling it for $100 mil - the biggest price ever paid for a Wake county building. I'm pretty sure its going to remain the Wachovia Capital Center.

I could be wrong, but the last I heard, the Wachovia Capital Center was owned and managed by Spectrum Properties, LLC. I wonder to whom they are selling.

First Union/Wachovia owned the Capital Center when it was built. They later sold it to Spectrum properties, but leased several floors, the bank branch part of the lobby, and maintained naming rights -- their name on the outside of the building. Wachovia has never been the only buisness in the building. If Spectrum can get higher rent from smaller tenants, more power to them, and Wachovia may look elsewhere.

It is crazy speculation, but if they want to stop paying rent, they could tear down and rebuild right on F Street. Wachovia's real estate arm still owns 223 Fayetville Street, the building they used to occupy before the First Union merger. The city owns the buiding next door (One Exchange) and possibly could sell that to lure Wachovia into building bigger. Those two buildings would have one big footprint/anchor in the center of the 200 block of the street. That could be the next big thing, but is probably a pipe dream.

When moving from One Exchange, the city could take a chunk of the new Reynolds Tower (or Site 1) and be a medium to large tenant in either of those buidlings. Reynolds would be close to the current City Hall building...

If Wachovia does not want to build/develop, they could move to the Reynolds tower if the price was right and their current lease with Spectrum was up.

I think the city bought One Exchange because it was relatively inexpensive and they would save the rent. Site 1 and Reynolds will likely be class "A" office space, so the city would probably not be able to afford it.

Ironically, in 309 Hillsborough, the city has a 4 story building that would be razed (about time ;) ) for the new Reynolds Tower, so they'd have to come up with additional office space from somewhere.

First Union/Wachovia owned the Capital Center when it was built. They later sold it to Spectrum properties, but leased several floors, the bank branch part of the lobby, and maintained naming rights -- their name on the outside of the building. Wachovia has never been the only buisness in the building. If Spectrum can get higher rent from smaller tenants, more power to them, and Wachovia may look elsewhere.

It is crazy speculation, but if they want to stop paying rent, they could tear down and rebuild right on F Street. Wachovia's real estate arm still owns 223 Fayetville Street, the building they used to occupy before the First Union merger. The city owns the buiding next door (One Exchange) and possibly could sell that to lure Wachovia into building bigger. Those two buildings would have one big footprint/anchor in the center of the 200 block of the street. That could be the next big thing, but is probably a pipe dream.

When moving from One Exchange, the city could take a chunk of the new Reynolds Tower (or Site 1) and be a medium to large tenant in either of those buidlings. Reynolds would be close to the current City Hall building...

If Wachovia does not want to build/develop, they could move to the Reynolds tower if the price was right and their current lease with Spectrum was up.

If Wachovia owned the land and building, they could tear down and build something new, rennovate, etc.

Wachovia *doesn't* own the land, but *does* own the building, resulting in the current stalemate:

- The land owner can't rebuild because Wachovia's building is in the way.

- Wachovia has no incentive to do anything with the building (rebuild, upgrade, sublease, etc.) because its lease is up shortly.

• 3 months later...

Wachovia Center in downtown Raleigh is sold...

Argus Realty Investors of San Clemente, Calif., paid New York-based DRA Advisors $153.4 million for the 29-story building at 150 Fayetteville St. -- the most ever paid for an existing Triangle building, according to data from brokerage CB Richard Ellis.

"It's a statement for the market as a whole," said Ben Kilgore, a broker at CB Richard Ellis, which represented the seller. "In particular, it's a vote of confidence for downtown Raleigh."

I didn't think Alexander Place has 750 spaces, but I guess it does. Maybe that number includes some spaces in the deck across Wilmington street too?

It would be nice if they could build a tower on Alexander Place, but the article does not say anything about that.

• 2 months later...

Some of you may have seen my diatribe about faceless buildings killing any possibility of pedestrian life in Atlanta. We have a few places that hint at such brutality (such as Wilmington Street's north and south ends). One such place is actually the base of one of our most prominent buildings, the Wachovia Capital Center.

The tower's base has three sides exposed; one on each of Salisbury, Hargett, and Fayetteville Streets (as seen on this map). Unfortunately each face only includes a lobby entrance. The rest of these three facades is covered in pretty, tiered planters. These planters look nice, but add no functionality to the area. Luckily, though, it looks like the building's first floor could be renovated to include street-level retail and restaurants.

Fayetteville Street has little possibility for more retail space (as we've discussed before). Wouldn't this be a prime location for a business?

wach_tower.jpg

There is of course Carolina Bakery on the back (north) side ofthe building but it barely presents itself to the street. This tower took out something like 6 hundred+ year old buildings many with viable businesses at the time and most were 2-3 stories. So much for a nice big contiguous historic district.....this tower belongs in some extension of the downtown grid (south maybe?) and certainly, as you point out Dana, needs modern viable commercial space.

Archived