Happy National Coming Out Day!

waccamatt

Today, October 11th, is National Coming Out Day in the United States for the Gay and Lesbian community. I chose to use the day to discuss with co-workers why a no vote is important on SC's discriminatory amendment number one next month. There are vote no yard signs all over my in-town neighborhood, but the battle will be won in the suburbs.

National Coming Out Day

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My family was always very open to gays and lesbians because my mom's best friend from childhood is a gay man. He's a gay man in a great relationship with someone he loves very much and damnit they have the cleanest house I've ever seen! ;);)

But seriously, if anything positive has come out of all the gay marriage debate, it's that the issue is getting talked about and that the GLBT community can get their message out... it's about equality.. something everyone deserves.

I truly feel sad for people that for whatever reason are not able to come out. Living a double life is a heartbreaking way to spend our short time on this planet.

The closet will be a memory some day. I hope the day comes very soon.

I agree wholeheartedly. The closet is but a distant memory to me, but it is a terrible place to reside.

Today, October 11th, is National Coming Out Day in the United States for the Gay and Lesbian community. I chose to use the day to discuss with co-workers why a no vote is important on SC's discriminatory amendment number one next month. There are vote no yard signs all over my in-town neighborhood, but the battle will be won in the suburbs.

National Coming Out Day

Good luck voting against that amendment next month. If was a SC resident I'd certainly vote no. They did the same thing in Georgia and I felt bad for the lesbian couple who showed up my doorstep giving me a pin to wear, because I knew it would pass (though it's being challenged in the courts!!!). Maybe one day we can get over this insignificant stuff obsessed over by conservatives and move onto real issues.

Maybe one day we can get over this insignificant stuff obsessed over by conservatives and move onto real issues.

It amazes me that this country is so quagmired in concerns over "ethical" threats facing this country when we have this disastrous mess overseas in Iraq, issues now with North Korea, and the inability to address basic needs of millions of our own citizens. I agree with you completely!

While my "coming out" experience wasn't the best in the world, I encourage everyone to come out of the closet as soon as possible. It doesn't get any easier with time, just make sure you're emotionally and financially ready to handle coming out to friends and family, especially if you depend on them for any basic part of living your life (shelter, food, education, etc.) Like said in an earlier post, our life here is to short to spend most of it in the closet. :thumbsup:

Archived