Street signs

krazeeboi

• 1 month later...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red Stripes Needed on Stop Sign Poles

The other day I was driving and I noticed that someone had candy striped a stop sign in reflective tape; boy did it stand out. In fact, I know why someone did that, as it was not a place you might expect a stop sign and probably a death had occurred there or some serious accidents. I was not from the area and I had to get on the brakes a little to make the stop due to the way the road was designed. Why do I bring this up? Well, simple; what if we did this on all stop sign poles? Your headlights would hit them and reflect back. You would notice them sooner and there would less chance of people running the stop signs either on purpose or out of lack of attentiveness.

The cost to do this is very low and the chance to save lives and injury is very good? Did you know that 40,000 Americans die each year in automobile deaths, did you know that most of these deaths occur at intersections?

What if we tried this as a test in a couple of states and then in a year let

The sad thing is many local DOT's and possibly state DOT's look at problem areas and apply what is believed to be a fix and never look back. I know the city where I live at actively reviews all changes made to signage, traffic lights, intersection alignment, etc, etc, to see if the change accomplished the desired goal. I wish every DOT department followed up like that...

there's nothing worse, in my opinion, than the age old trick of throwing up a stop sign at an intersection where a bad accident occurred. it doesn't utilize any studying or take into account that there was one idiot that drove through at ridiculous speeds. they put up a stop sign to appease the nearby residents and leave it at that. no study is performed to determine if it's a necessary stop sign.

there's nothing worse, in my opinion, than the age old trick of throwing up a stop sign at an intersection where a bad accident occurred. it doesn't utilize any studying or take into account that there was one idiot that drove through at ridiculous speeds. they put up a stop sign to appease the nearby residents and leave it at that. no study is performed to determine if it's a necessary stop sign.

Stop signs are actually pretty uniform throughout the world now days. In Austria, stop signs are pretty much identical to American stop signs.. and they've adopted the verb "stoppen" (pronounced shtoppen) to deal with it.. compared to the other German world "halten" which means to halt :)

Did anyone else see the reports a few months back about the town in Italy that experimented with removing all stop signs, yield signs, traffic lights, lane markings, etc., altogether? Apparently the number of accidents actually dropped a bit, because drivers were forced to be more alert and aware of what other cars were doing.

Red Stripes Needed on Stop Sign Poles

The other day I was driving and I noticed that someone had candy striped a stop sign in reflective tape; boy did it stand out. In fact, I know why someone did that, as it was not a place you might expect a stop sign and probably a death had occurred there or some serious accidents. I was not from the area and I had to get on the brakes a little to make the stop due to the way the road was designed. Why do I bring this up? Well, simple; what if we did this on all stop sign poles? Your headlights would hit them and reflect back. You would notice them sooner and there would less chance of people running the stop signs either on purpose or out of lack of attentiveness.

The cost to do this is very low and the chance to save lives and injury is very good? Did you know that 40,000 Americans die each year in automobile deaths, did you know that most of these deaths occur at intersections?

What if we tried this as a test in a couple of states and then in a year let

In my town...they just remodeled the whole historic downtown a few years ago and added street signs that are all purple with white lettering...and the city's logo on the side. They also have a couple wayfinding signs for parking and buildings which are all purple and white.

Never saw purple on a street sign until now :lol:

They more than likely made it purple because of the school colors being purple and gold...unfortunately I don't think gold would contrast well as the letters with the dark purple.

In my town...they just remodeled the whole historic downtown a few years ago and added street signs that are all purple with white lettering...and the city's logo on the side. They also have a couple wayfinding signs for parking and buildings which are all purple and white.

Never saw purple on a street sign until now :lol:

They more than likely made it purple because of the school colors being purple and gold...unfortunately I don't think gold would contrast well as the letters with the dark purple.

Archived