Huge Charleston panorama

waccamatt

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a very nice pano, reminds me of the time I traveled through there. Charleston,WV looks like it would be a decent place to live in.

Hi everyone, I thought I would share a huge pano of Charleston I compiled after spending the night there on Sunday.

chas%20wv%20pano%20jpeg.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
*scratches head*

Maybe I'm misreading your tone. It seems to me there's been quite a bit of change. An empty lot downtown turning into a thriving (and yes, it is thriving -- more and more people are coming to eat, shop, and see movies) shopping center, one which is leading to businesses opening across the street on Third Avenue, and now on Fourth Avenue as well.

Both Cabell Huntington and St. Mary's have expanded tremendously, and Marshall has built at least fourteen new buildings in the past 13 years, with at least four more planned for the next two years.

The old Owens-Illinois plant has changed face significantly -- though the glass plant closed, it has been replaced with several small manufacturing operations.

Add to this the new high school on the interstate, the slowly developing Kinetic Park, and the new office buildings in the west end.

I see the city changing a lot, and the rate of change is accelerating. Friends who have moved away and return for visits emphasize this, finding it to be a different place than the one they left.

What is your perspective on it?

• 6 months later...

I realize this is an older thread, but I still wanted to comment on the shot. It's extremely hard to do large panos, and the attempt was a good one - nice to see Charleston. I grew up there and left when I graduated from the now gone Charleston High School in 1984. I now live in Atlanta and it's just worlds different. I think they build the equal of a downtown Charleston (and more) every single year here. For some that's good, for others, bad. Sometimes it's nice to see a place that doesn't build a 50 story building every week. ^_^

Archived