restaurants in the SBC

dimebag1980

How about I start this new thread with me sharing the following post I just made in the Baton Rouge subforum:

On the subject of TGI Friday's, there may be hope for Louisiana afterall! In my typical inquisitive fashion, I decided to scour Google's cached records to see what I could find and here's something that caught my eye.

Click the link below and scroll until you see 'LA - Shreveport':

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:CKNldE...lient=firefox-a

:D Apparently this ad was posted as recently as August 12!

FYI: the above link may only work for Firefox. If it doesn't work for Internet Explorer, I can try and get that fixed.

I just figured this would be a great thing to share since I was just talking about Friday's ditching Louisiana altogether!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is no one else excited that TGI Friday's may be on its way!?!? :D

Maybe I'm too excited about the possibility, but I'd pretty-much written them off since they'd closed all their Louisiana locations over the years. I think they're a great chain and I'd welcome them back to this metro area with open arms!

Is no one else excited that TGI Friday's may be on its way!?!? :D

Maybe I'm too excited about the possibility, but I'd pretty-much written them off since they'd closed all their Louisiana locations over the years. I think they're a great chain and I'd welcome them back to this metro area with open arms!

Well I didn't want to rub it in that we already had one. :P

Well I didn't want to rub it in that we already had one. :P

:lol: Rod, rub it in, it's all good! We had them years ago but the last one closed more than a decade ago. Over time they'd had 5 locations in Shreveport before leaving altogether. It will be nice to see them return.

One of my favorite restaurants is called Blind Tiger, and it's a former TGI Friday's downtown. You can still sit at the bar and recognize it as a TGI Friday's... except for Fridays' signature red and white, it looks the same.

Okay, I just got home from dinner. It was a nasty drive home on 220 and 20 because of the rain and fog, but it was worth it for the dinner I had. :D

Tonight we decided to try Don Juanz Baja Beach Tacos... and we were very pleased. I guess I didn't assume that it was a taco stand, but it is. It's very similar to Moe's Southwest Grill, except locally-owned. It also has a full bar, and I can't remember if Moe's has one or not. The owner, Don, takes great pride in his new restaurant and is VERY involved in the business. He was running around like crazy to make sure everyone was satisfied.

All in all, I give Don Juanz a thumbs-up. I used to run a pretty popular website dedicated to Shreveport-Bossier restaurant reviews, so I like to think I know what I'm talking about. :D

Anyway, there's only one thing that bothers me about Don Juanz... will it last? Yes, it was busy, and yes it had that cool, California feel. It actually felt very much like a really cool, hip beachfront taco stand and seems to have all the makings of a good chain. But my concern is in what is to come. Directly across Airline Drive from this eatery is a new shopping strip, which will be home to another Moe's Southwest Grill. Don doesn't seem too concerned about it, but I'd venture to guess that it does make him a bit uneasy since his eatery is a very new start-up and Moe's is a very well-known, established chain.

Quick poll of a few competing area chain restaurants. I'm curious what everyone here would pick?

Fatburger or Cheeburger Cheeburger

Cheeburger Cheeburger for me!

Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, or Carrabba's

Macaroni Grill for me, almost every time

Raisin' Cane's or Popeye's

This one is a toss-up for me. I really love Popeye's chicken, biscuits, and mashed potatoes with Cajun gravy... but I also salivate for Canes' toast. Overall, I must say I'd have to choose Popeye's if it didn't leave me with that "greasy" feeling everytime!

Fatburger or Cheeburger Cheeburger

Cheeburger Cheeburger is great. Though to be fair I've not had Fatburger

Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, or Carrabba's

Oh no contest. Hand's down Carrabba's. I didn't realize this was even debatable! :P

Raisin' Cane's or Popeye's

Since moving from Baton Rouge to a metro in the far-flung environs of the northern south, I have developed withdrawal symptoms since being deprived of Cane's. I admit. I'm addicted to Cane's.

One can only hope! But we've already got similar concepts (that can't hold a candle) to Cane's -- Zaxby's and Abner's. But I personally would keep at least one Cane's location in business! :P

I'll tell you what you're missing out on, and that's DeAngelo's. It too is based in Baton Rouge and it's awesome. Hands down best Italian. Only they don't seem over-eager to open new stores at the same rate Cane's is. But next time you're in BR, chase one down.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still holding out for PF Chang's.

In addition, I'd also like to see O'Charley's, and please someone bring Bennigan's back to the market. I hated it when they closed. I also wish Tony Roma's was still around. I thought they were doing so well, and then one day they just shut the doors. What a huge blow to those of us who LOVE good ribs! :D

This Logan's Roadhouse better have good ribs!!

Also, now they really need to announce TGI Friday's for the North Airline Drive center. The whole point of this center is so people in suburban north and east Bossier don't have to drive all the way to southeast Shreveport, so hopefully Stirling can jump in and bring them to their center as well.

Going back to the Canes talk...I think that the idea for Canes came from Zaxbys, but I'm not sure. I now the 1st one I every saw was when I lived in Savannah 6 yrs ago and I know the Canes founder when to the Univ of Georgia. It's just a hunch though.

I have been to Logans several times. I can't tell you about the ribs, but they do have good steaks and hamburgers. Actually really good hamburgers. It's one of those peanut shell on the floor places. I do doubt the ribs could be as good as Tony Roma's though. I loved the Carolina Honeys. They were awesome. And on a Tony Romas note, I was told months ago by a friend that travels to Dallas a lot that a Tony Romas that they go to over there had closed also.

Going back to the Canes talk...I think that the idea for Canes came from Zaxbys, but I'm not sure. I now the 1st one I every saw was when I lived in Savannah 6 yrs ago and I know the Canes founder when to the Univ of Georgia. It's just a hunch though.

I have been to Logans several times. I can't tell you about the ribs, but they do have good steaks and hamburgers. Actually really good hamburgers. It's one of those peanut shell on the floor places. I do doubt the ribs could be as good as Tony Roma's though. I loved the Carolina Honeys. They were awesome. And on a Tony Romas note, I was told months ago by a friend that travels to Dallas a lot that a Tony Romas that they go to over there had closed also.

Click this link and tell me if this looks like Canes food. The difference seems that Canes has kept it simple. I looks like Zaxbys has gone crazy with it's menu. I did find that this company started in 1990 and it has 5 locations in Athens GA. As I said earlier Todd Graves said he went to UGA.

http://www.zaxbys.com/mealdealz.html

You can be the judge but it seems like this was the inspiration.

Click this link and tell me if this looks like Canes food. The difference seems that Canes has kept it simple. I looks like Zaxbys has gone crazy with it's menu. I did find that this company started in 1990 and it has 5 locations in Athens GA. As I said earlier Todd Graves said he went to UGA.

http://www.zaxbys.com/mealdealz.html

You can be the judge but it seems like this was the inspiration.

Archived