restaurants in the SBC

dimebag1980

IKEA is a pipe dream, but we can always hope! To put it into perspective, Orlando is just now getting their first IKEA store.

Nice list, though, and I agree with all of those. Expo Design Center might well be matched - if not topped - by the new Home Design Center being built off 70th Street across from the Clarion Hotel (formerly Sheraton.) Look for big things from that store, and to be honest I expect it to take off and become a chain. But only time will tell, and that is IF it loves up to the hype.

I'd like to add:

Dave & Busters (which actually could happen if Arlena Acree didn't give up on it)

Cheesecake Factory

Pottery Barn

Macy's

Williams-Sonoma

And something so small and simple, but something I've always wanted here:

Orange Julius!

My list could go on and on, but I'd need a little time to sit down and really think about it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I have never been to Dave & Busters but what I understand isn't it a Chuck E Cheese for guys? I know IKEA is a pipe dream, but that's what we do, we dream! I would love to see Pottery Barn and Macy's. Orange Julius or Jamba Juice would be cool, it shouldn't be that hard to get. We just need somebody who want's that franchise to step up.

IKEA is a pipe dream, but we can always hope! To put it into perspective, Orlando is just now getting their first IKEA store.

Nice list, though, and I agree with all of those. Expo Design Center might well be matched - if not topped - by the new Home Design Center being built off 70th Street across from the Clarion Hotel (formerly Sheraton.) Look for big things from that store, and to be honest I expect it to take off and become a chain. But only time will tell, and that is IF it lives up to the hype.

I'd like to add:

Dave & Busters (which actually could happen if Arlena Acree didn't give up on it)

Cheesecake Factory

Pottery Barn

Macy's

Williams-Sonoma

And something so small and simple, but something I've always wanted here:

Orange Julius!

My list could go on and on, but I'd need a little time to sit down and really think about it.

Ah c'mon!!! You're in LOUISIANA! Who needs Cheesecake Factory? What you want (and thanks for asking :thumbsup: ) is a Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro, if you don't already have one. S'port needs to be unique cause it'll never compete with Dallas. So leave the chains for the cities who have nothing better - let's go local!

And Pottery Barn, Macy's, Williams-Sonoma... laddee frickin dah. :D

Ah c'mon!!! You're in LOUISIANA! Who needs Cheesecake Factory? What you want (and thanks for asking :thumbsup: ) is a Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro, if you don't already have one. S'port needs to be unique cause it'll never compete with Dallas. So leave the chains for the cities who have nothing better - let's go local!

And Pottery Barn, Macy's, Williams-Sonoma... laddee frickin dah. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we decided to try Cantina Laredo last night.

It was after 7:00, so we were getting a late start on dinner, but we headed out anyway. About 30 minutes later, we pull up to the restaurant, go inside, and speak with the hostess. The wait was going to be over an hour!!! Pffffft no, sorry, Cantina Laredo, not this time. So we ended up going just down the block to Imperial Cathay instead.

My first impression of Cantina Laredo, however, which I really didn't expect: lots of stuck-up assed people. Not the employees, but the customers. Shouldn't these people have been at Superior's Steakhouse, Chianti, The Sea Grille, Bistro 2301, or somewhere like that? Cantina Laredo's prices remind me very much of Outback Steakhouse... certainly nothing for people to act snooty over. Puh-lease!!

Once the crowds die down and the snooty people return to their $$$ expensive restaurants, I'll give Cantina Laredo a try.

^^ Has anyone else here had any luck getting into Cantina Laredo?

One thing that impressed me about this restaurant, aside from the fact that it's extremely nice both inside and out, is that the owners said this is currently their only restaurant in Louisiana. :) It's not often Shreveport-Bossier gets a restaurant or store chain before many south Louisiana cities, so this is extra-special in that regard.

^^ Has anyone else here had any luck getting into Cantina Laredo?

One thing that impressed me about this restaurant, aside from the fact that it's extremely nice both inside and out, is that the owners said this is currently their only restaurant in Louisiana. :) It's not often Shreveport-Bossier gets a restaurant or store chain before many south Louisiana cities, so this is extra-special in that regard.

When I read the article that mentioned this company owns El Chico, I was quite surprised. I'm not a fan of El Chico, but it's a very successful chain. It is, however, completely unlike the Cantina Laredo concept.

And I was also excited to see they own Spaghetti warehouse. Honestly, that large building that was constructed at the foot of the Texas Street Bridge in the "Red River District" would make a great location for that particular restaurant and could do wonders for the District. People know that name and would actually go out of their way to eat there.

If that doesn't happen and nothing ever becomes of that building, find me the funding and I'm going to build a nice mixed-use development along Commerce Street! :)

I was also suprised to see they own El Chico. Now, I have never eaten at the Spagehetti Warehouse, but I have heard of it. I think that one big name restaurant in downtown Shreveport could spark that district. The problem is getting them to buy into it. I think that downtown needs to feel more safe, to me that is the major problem.

BTW, I wish you could find someone to fund your ideas!

Spaghetti Warehouse's food is good in my opinion... but it's the name and atmosphere that I think people really like. I enjoy eating at their Dallas location at the West End.

Safety is a major concern in downtown Shreveport, and I think you have to find a way to separate the "good" attractions from the criminal element that walks those streets.

The cameras they've added down there are a good start; but there are cameras in banks and at ATMs, and people are still mugged at ATMs all the time and banks are still robbed quite often. And in most cases, the perp is captured because his ugly mug was caught on camera and he made no attempt to conceal his identity. Why? He's not afraid of the law... and that's why cameras are merely a "good start" but are far from a solution.

On Christmas Day I was driving down Mansfield Road through Southern Hills, and I noticed yet another Greek restaurant! I don't know what is up with this area and Greek restaurants, especially considering our Greek population has actually declined drastically over the years.

There's a TINY building just off the corner of Mansfield/Jewella that I recall used to be a photo stand. You remember those places, right? They were just little buildings where you dropped off your film back in the 80s, and they'd develop it for you. It's in one of those. Most recently it was a fast-food Italian place, and now fast-food Greek.

Archived