restaurants in the SBC

dimebag1980

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I am surprised that nobody has already posted this so let me be the first.

This week was a rough one for restaurants in Shreveport.

First, Don's Seafood will close it's doors at 4 pm today.

I will miss this piece of local history known for it's crabcakes.

Secondly, Kon Tiki closed on Friday.

I only went there once and i did enjoy it.

It will reopen as a Trejo's Mexican and they will keep some of the old Kon Tiki dishes on the menu.

Lastly, On the Border will close next Wednesday.

Only visited them a couple of times after they opened and didn't think much, they are a national chain

so you get what you pay for. Based on some writings on the ShreveportTimes site it appears that they

had many management and employee problems. When a restaurant gets that bad, close it.

Sorry to bum out anyone who hasn't heard the news,

Mudbugger

Honestly, I have never been to Don's or Kon Tiki. Maybe I was missing out, but I do not know any better. I will say it is sad when two long time businesses close. As far as On the Border goes, I will definitely not miss that place. I went there years ago after it first opened and didn't like the food. After that I never went back. I guess it was not my style. Overall, I am not sad about any of these closings, apologies to those that are.

On the Border will not be missed by me. I've purchased meals there and had many a meal purchased there for me, and never once did I have a pleasant experience. Don's and Kon-Tiki will sorely be missed. Those two are not places where I dined often, but I had been to each many times and enjoyed them both very much.

I don't know if I'll exactly miss the food from Don's, but there is a part of me that's sad to see it close. As a kid, I remember being quite a treat to go there from time to time. There's a bit of nostalgia and history that will missed... Before the multitude of dining options that have sprung up within the last 10-12 years, Don's had quite a niche in this area in regards to fine dining. As I've gotten older, I haven't eaten there as much; partly b/c of the food (has declined in little bit in quality over the years, IMO), and partly b/c of the options we have now. But like i saying, Don's is/was a big part of the cultrual fabric that is Shreveport.

Archived