Where to buy decent used furniture?

jstalin

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking for some place(s) to buy decent used furniture... I'm on a budget with two mortgages for a little while and need to make every dime stretch.

This is probably going to be considered a violation of forum rules, but...

I have had excellent luck at various thrifts (Red Shield on 28th near Art Van, especially). U-M Property Disposition was my mainstay for a long time. I'm told there's one at MSU. Does GVSU have one? (Can't be a world-class university without it.)

There are more ideas in the old thread that's called living on a budget or some such. It was roaring along in August or September...

Looking for some place(s) to buy decent used furniture... I'm on a budget with two mortgages for a little while and need to make every dime stretch.

Estate Sales and Auctions.

An example of my auction findings: dining room table is a rustic 6' work table from a local print house that went out of business. Refinished it, but retained it's rustic look. I also have a stable of Steelcase chairs from that same sale...got them sandblasted and recovered the orange vinyl seats.

Estate Sales and Auctions.

An example of my auction findings: dining room table is a rustic 6' work table from a local print house that went out of business. Refinished it, but retained it's rustic look. I also have a stable of Steelcase chairs from that same sale...got them sandblasted and recovered the orange vinyl seats.

I agree. Estate sales and auctions. And they can be fun, especially the ones out in the boonies.

Sometimes ebay has some great deals, too, believe it or not. Just be sure you know what the shipping charges are. I got a fabulous Asian opium bed and wardrobe inlaid with mother of pearl. Gems you wouldn't find anywhere around here.

The thrill is in the hunt.

Also check out the Bargain Corner in the GR Press.

This is probably going to be considered a violation of forum rules, but...

I have had excellent luck at various thrifts (Red Shield on 28th near Art Van, especially). U-M Property Disposition was my mainstay for a long time. I'm told there's one at MSU. Does GVSU have one? (Can't be a world-class university without it.)

There are more ideas in the old thread that's called living on a budget or some such. It was roaring along in August or September...

Hmm.. not finding a "Red Shield" in the yellow pages... is that the name of the place?

I'm pretty sure it's the Salvation Army Store - their logo is a red shield. There's one between East Paris and Patterson on 28th.

That's the one! The whole back half of the store is furniture, gently used.

The one on Division has a whole lower level full of furniture.

The consignment place on 28th has done my living room for about $50.

Try "Second Time Around" located on 29th street in Kentwood. They have a wide selection consisting of a mixture of used funiture and new items offered at deep clearances. The family and I purchased a few sticks of furniture from them before and had no problems.

A good place to go these days is at Goodwill thrift stores. Lots of furniture products that are sold at Meijer(s) and Target are donated to them. Many of the items are slightly dented, returns, discontinued or just unsold items. A lot of them are sold for pennies.

I remember we had a gigantic green sofa we baught at Goodwill ten years ago. It was big. It was green. It was 8' long of 1970's style that took up half the living room.

Thanks everyone - I checked out Second Time Around last night and they have a nice selection and good prices. I also went to the Mel Trotter store on 29th and they had a few items. The Slavation Army on 28th had only a few things as well. I'll check out the salvation army in division to see what they have this weekend. So far it looks like Second Time Around is the place to go to.

Just checked out the re-deux web site.. looks like they have a sale on the 17th.. I'll check it out.

Does anyone know which Goodwill has the most firniture? The one I've been to on Plainfield doesn't have any.

29th Street, which is the biggest one. Also the one up Alpine has a decent amount. (By "lots," there might be a couple of headboards, three chairs, and two dressers.)

If you look in the homestuff aisles, there's sometimes RTA items from Target still in the box. Usually for about the same price as a Tarzhay sale.

Don't try Value Land (off Alpine) for furniture; they are phasing it out, and not accepting any more donations. But lots of lamps, curtains, homestuff.

Thanks everyone - I checked out Second Time Around last night and they have a nice selection and good prices. ...

You're likely to find a happy surpise at the checkout. I always have. "This has to be marked down another 40% over the listed price." The oldest items are along the walls, and just-got-there priced-as-marked stuff is in the middle. Check all the nooks & crannies, too. I've found disassembled headboards along the wall between the couches and desks.

Be sure to bring a tape measure and your dimensions. And, if it matters, be sure you can lift something before deciding. (I was surprised, and not happily, by the e-center I'd selected.)

Their hours can be a bit capricious, so don't get the hankering to stop in on a random evening.

You might try the place directly across the street as well. New 2 You, I think it's called. They have a small space and a lot of stuff packed into it. Estate furniture. Even more capricious hours (close at 7??). But some good finds.

Dang, now I want to go shopping.

Archived