Magnolia Circle

bic

Magnolia Circle

Project Description

The applicant proposes a 30-story tower (326 ft.) with an 8-story podium at the base. The mixed-use project consists of 200 condo units and 13,000 square feet of retail/restaurant space. A 384 space, 6-story parking garage will ocupy levels 2 through 7. One and two bedroom units will wrap the parking garage along Magnolia on floors 2 through 7. One, two and three bedroom units will occupy the additional floors through floor 28, and 4-four bedroom penthouses will be offered on floors 29 & 30.

The site is located on the south side of E. Livingston Street, jus south of the Orange County Courthouse, between Magnolia Avenue and Palmetto Avenue. There are two small commercial buildings currently on the site which will be demolished.

Building Height

The Land Development Code does not prescribe a height limit in this zoning district. Prior to building permit issuance, this project must obtain approval from the Federal Aviation Authority.

Proposed at 30 stories (326 ft.), the project will be surrounded by a proposed 18-story (240 ft.) building directly to the south, the 416 ft. Orange County Courthouse to the north, and the 426 ft. tall Vue, currently under construction. The 409 ft. Bank of America building is approximately 700 ft. to the west. Most other structures in the vicinity are two to four stories tall.

The setback of the tower portion of the building will be such that there will be a separation of approximately 50 ft. between the proposed 18-story tower to the south and this development.

magnoliacircle1oc4.jpg

magnoliacircle2kz6.jpgmagnoliacircle4ii7.jpg

magnoliacircle3vy2.jpgmagnoliacircle5kw0.jpg

magnoliacircle6ss0.jpg

magnoliacircle7kp4.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orlando has been fortunate up until now that virtually all new development has been unique and varied architecturally, concerned mainly with fitting a building into the context of its immediate surroundings. This project, an obvious ripoff of the Vue, strays from that trend into the Miami syndrome where so many towers look painfully similar.

I happen to think it's a pretty decent design, even if it is a complete knock-off of The Vue. At least it's not a bad design like the new BBIF proposal or Capital Plaza III (in my opinion, of course). We don't need every building to be radically different from its neighbors-- a little bit of homogeneity might just do the skyline some good as downtown continues its search for architectural identity. This one and The Vue should compliment each other nicely, though I don't know if I can same about the adjacent Palmetto (which would look more interesting if it wasn't in the shadow of a much more massive building). Speaking of which, I think this is the first time we've seen two separate proposals situated so near to each other that they would practically share a wall.

I don't mind it. The style is obviously very similar to the Vue; but dimensionally it is quite different, mainly at the pedestal. In fact, I know this is blasphemous to say on this board, but I kind of like it better than the Vue because of it's dimensions. I agree with bic's assertion that some homogeneity in our downtown isn't necessarily such a bad thing.

That being said, the flowers on the garage have to go.

I like the design; it molds into the end of Magnolia nicely. It will add great density to DT for the next phase which is post 55W, Dynetech, Paramount, Vue, etc...

I just don't understand why they didn't make it 35-40 story b/c of the height allowed for that block. The tradeoff: the 13,000 sq. feet of retail/restaurant space.

THat said, that sector of DT from Washington to the OC Cthse will be interesting when you factor in the Rosalind proposal and that other one at Orange and Livingston, the poor-man's ESP clone.

Is this a joke? How incredibly boring is this building? The property is calling itself Magnolia Circle and yet they building apears to be rectangular. Not to mention a carbon copy of the VUE.

Give me the Presidential or the once proposed Magnolia Towers on this spot and then I might get excited. But this...eh....

I kinda like the width of this building in that location, and I think it will compliment the vue like its little brother. If I was buying a condo I would seriously take a hard look at this one cuz I like the Vue so much.

Maybe that will help its sales. And of course I think it should be a little taller, maybe further along the development process they will add some floors like they did with Dynetech.

I kinda like the width of this building in that location, and I think it will compliment the vue like its little brother. If I was buying a condo I would seriously take a hard look at this one cuz I like the Vue so much.

Maybe that will help its sales. And of course I think it should be a little taller, maybe further along the development process they will add some floors like they did with Dynetech.

Help its sales? I dont see how being the ugly step child of a supierior building will help in its sales.

It would just leave people thinking... oh... if only I had purchased a condo at the VUE. But I guess I can settel for this.

gag me :sick:

It's not automatically an inferior building just because it's shorter than the one it looks similar to.

If I was in the market for an apartment/condo in Orlando, I would be seriously interested in this building based solely on the notion that I'm a big fan of The Vue's design (including floorplans) and this one looks like it might be very similar. There's no question that the developers are trying to capitalize on the popularity of The Vue and offer a comparable product. Hey, it's working on me and I don't even want to live in Orlando.

As far as comparisons to the Vue go, I think this proposal looks to be light years ahead of the Vue from street level... That big, hulking garage behind the Vue is an absolute monstrosity, and at least this project is trying to disguise some bare walls with liner units... It also looks like they're at least trying to line the exposed street level sides completely with retail as well... Whereas the Vue garage will create an ugly dead spot behind it, this seems to fit in better in an urban context...

Is this a joke? How incredibly boring is this building? The property is calling itself Magnolia Circle and yet they building apears to be rectangular. Not to mention a carbon copy of the VUE.

Give me the Presidential or the once proposed Magnolia Towers on this spot and then I might get excited. But this...eh....

Your post really makes me feel good about where downtown development has come in the past 5 or so years. 5 years ago, anything (and I mean anything) being built above about 20 floors would be something to cheer about. I recall when Chenney Place was announced, and it was like "WOW' people actually moving into downtown whoopee! And now just a few years later and it's ... that building looks like another building boo. Only 30 floors, so sad.

I couldn't disagree more but it's great to see how much has changed.

Is this a joke?

Archived