Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Five Guys Burgers is renovating the rest of the building that Monterry is in in the Vista into their third Columbia area restaurant. They are hiring now. The building will have 9-foot windows and will keep an existing skylight in the ceiling for natural lighting. They have a high rating from Sagat or something like that, a New York food critic outfit. That'll be nice for the folks staying in the new Hilton if they want something lower scale than Ruth's Chris.

Five Guys Burgers is renovating the rest of the building that Monterry is in in the Vista into their third Columbia area restaurant. They are hiring now. The building will have 9-foot windows and will keep an existing skylight in the ceiling for natural lighting. They have a high rating from Sagat or something like that, a New York food critic outfit. That'll be nice for the folks staying in the new Hilton if they want something lower scale than Ruth's Chris.

It's very good and will most likely be packed for lunch. People won't go for the atmosphere though, as it is white walled, order at the counter and they call your number. Maybe they will at least serve beer. They also give you enough fries per order to feed a family... literally, and entire family.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems as though another parking garage is coming to the Vista. This was from city council minutes from Aug. 9th from the Columbia Star:

Among other actions, council voted to approve the design contract for the parking garage on the northwest corner of Lincoln and Lady. The design contract was with LPA Group Inc. for $591,500. The anticipated cost of the garage was $8,450,000, which was $13,000 per parking space for 650 spaces.

Now I'm trying to envision this parcel. Is the northwest corner of Lincoln and Lady vacant? I thought it was Meritage once was. I do believe that the northeast and southeast corners are vacant however.

Does anyone knows what's going up on Huger St. on the right off I-26 where you can go straight or to Elmwood or you can bare right on Huger, right before the bellsouth building. There was a lot for sale for the longest and know it has a big sign that says "SOLD". I know that's prime real estate property and something is going there. Does anyone know????

Edited by 803metlife

Does anyone knows what's going up on Huger St. on the right off I-26 where you can go straight or to Elmwood or you can bare right on Huger, right before the bellsouth building. There was a lot for sale for the longest and know it has a big sign that says "SOLD". I know that's prime real estate property and something is going there. Does anyone know????

I believe the lot was purchased by some hotel developers. There was a mention of it in The State a while back if I'm not mistaken. I think someone posted the article on here...

It seems as though another parking garage is coming to the Vista. This was from city council minutes from Aug. 9th from the Columbia Star:

Now I'm trying to envision this parcel. Is the northwest corner of Lincoln and Lady vacant? I thought it was Meritage once was. I do believe that the northeast and southeast corners are vacant however.

Meritage is at Gadsden and Lady. The parking lot referred to is one block closer to Assembly. It is catty-corner from Willy's which is next to Blue Marlin. We already knew about this parking garage. If I'm not mistaken it will have retail and maybe even housing (if memory serves me correctly and they stick with the plan) in front of the garage. By thte way, Meritage is being reworked into a wings and ale restaurant. They are working steadily there every day.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I emailed the developers of one of the hotels coming to the Vista (Sree Hospitality). Here's the response I got:

Thank you for your interest in our hotel project. We have not set a groundbreaking date yet, and are currently in design phase of the development. To ease your concerns, we are incorporating a design that will fit nicely with other existing structures in the Vista area, so it will not be a prototype design from an existing hotel. We have chosen a brand, and it will be affiliated w/ Marriott Hotels. We expect to open the hotel in the Spring/Summer of 2008.

I would hope they would choose Courtyard over Residence Inn or Fairfield Inn.

• 3 weeks later...

Some prime Vista property is in the process of being cleaned up. The developers aren't saying for sure what will be built there, but they say some sort of mixed-used development is likely.

169000506000.gif

For about 100 years, a coal tar residue has been buried on the site, the former location of a gas manufacturing plant, the Columbia Gas Light Co. The cleanup is costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and involves scooping up the nonhazardous residue and hauling it to a Northeast Richland landfill. The next step in cleaning up the property includes cleansing the groundwater, which will last for about a year. Workers will put in a naturally occurring substance that cleans the groundwater.

The parcel is a little over 1

OK, we finally find out what's coming to this parcel. Game day condominium pioneer Gary Spillers plans to build one of his patented “Gameday Centers” on Lady Street. It would be the city’s first condo hotel. He plans to build a 130-unit, six- to seven-story condo hotel and market it to Gamecock fans and state lawmakers. Prices could run as high as $1 million.

Great project indeed, but that $1 million figure--is the demand there? Last I heard that figure was in reference to the Lofts at Printer's Square, and thus far we haven't heard a peep about that development.

This project is going to be really nice but a million dollars might be too much. But after all they are targeting law makers and USC fans so you might have open room for this market. With the building boom going on down town SCANA will be sorry they left.

This is a long distance from Williams-Brice. Why would someone pay $1mm for a condo there, when for half the price, they can buy the nicest units in the projects that are actually at the stadium?

With a condo hotel, the rooms would be rented to hotel patrons when the owners were not using them. That would help support the debt, but not anything close to $1mm.

I assume that most of the units are priced well below the $1mm figure, and that is just the penthouse units at that price.

Most legislators are not wealthy enough to buy million dollar units either. I would file this project under 'believe it when I see it."

Never underestimate the demand of wealthy USC alumni for gameday condos. They have spots in Clemson that sell for exhorbitant prices (not $1 million) and they are little more than a nice air conditioned room to "tailgate" in. Its all targeted at wealthy alumni.

The other article in The State details the type of person who might buy into the gameday condo phenomenon:

The average demographic is this, developers say: A 57-year-old, white, male Gamecock fan who has been a season ticket holder for about 15 years. He

This is a long distance from Williams-Brice. Why would someone pay $1mm for a condo there, when for half the price, they can buy the nicest units in the projects that are actually at the stadium?

With a condo hotel, the rooms would be rented to hotel patrons when the owners were not using them. That would help support the debt, but not anything close to $1mm.

I assume that most of the units are priced well below the $1mm figure, and that is just the penthouse units at that price.

Most legislators are not wealthy enough to buy million dollar units either. I would file this project under 'believe it when I see it."

It's only about 2 miles from Williams-Brice and it is smack dab in the middle of Vista activity. The Hampton Inn across the street is booked solid 24/7/365 and this hotel will be too. As far as wealthy USC alumni, there are thousands of people that have bought cockabooses, condominium tailgate clubs and condos around the stadium. The tailgating condominium concept began at USC with Carolina Walk condo parking and the cockabooses, which have sold for up to $300,000. I'm a USC alum, but I can't keep up with that kind of spending. Alot of people can, though.

Great project indeed, but that $1 million figure--is the demand there? Last I heard that figure was in reference to the Lofts at Printer's Square, and thus far we haven't heard a peep about that development.

Retraction--from the Sept. 6th City Council meeting minutes:

Ordinance No.: 2006-041: Granting encroachment to Lofts at Printers Square for installation and maintenance of balconies and landscaping at 530 Lady Street First reading approval was given on August 23, 2006.

The Lofts at Printers Square also now has a website: http://www.loftsatprinterssquare.com/index.shtml

Edited by krazeeboi

I hope so too.

Now where exactly is 530 Lady? What else is on that particular block?

I know we keep saying it, but Lady surely is shaping up nicely. It's just good to see that the streetcaping is nearing completion!

This is the southwest corner of Lady and Pulaski, right next to Trustus Theatre and Publix where the Athlete Factory is, which will be torn down. It moved to the old Tapp's building on Main Street. Eye on Gervais is there, also, and its owner is developing the Lofts, I believe.