Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't there an annoucement a few months back about a hotel going there?

The Hotel development is going further down Huger near the Pavilion Towers. I haven't heard anything about the property I'm talking about. If you make the right on Huger ,coming off Gervais ST. Right beside publix's there's a sign that says sold. I don't think it's a hotel because it's infront of the Kline Steel property and a hotel is going to be built there.

The Hotel development is going further down Huger near the Pavilion Towers. I haven't heard anything about the property I'm talking about. If you make the right on Huger ,coming off Gervais ST. Right beside publix's there's a sign that says sold. I don't think it's a hotel because it's infront of the Kline Steel property and a hotel is going to be built there.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's a hotel...there IS one going down Huger across from the Pavilion, but there was talk about this hotel across from Kline also a few months back.

A hotel is going to be built on the northeastern corner at Lady and Huger where there is a real estate sign that says "sold," and one is going to be built on the northwestern corner of Huger and Richland just off I-126. I rode by the warehouse at Huger and Lady next to Trustus the other day after someone mentioned there was a sold sign there, but I didn't see the sold sign. I'll have to ride by again.

As Corgi said, if it is the NE corner of Huger and Lady, then a hotel was announced for that property a few months ago.

Edited by waccamatt

OK then, then I recall correctly. I thought you guys were talking about the old buiding just west of Trustus; I think it had a "sold" sign on it at some point as well.

You're talking about the old cigar and candy warehouse. Something was announced for that property, too, but I don't remember what it was. Unless something is a major develpment, there is too much going on to keep track of everything.

A Starbucks will possibly be coming to the Vista in the ground floor of the former American Industrial Supply Co. building at Gervais and Lincoln streets. Local architect Scott Garvin, who is renovating the building, says although Starbucks Corp. has not yet signed a lease agreement, a verbal commitment has been made and space is being outfitted for Starbucks. Garvin is confident Starbucks will anchor the historic warehouse, and he plans to add patio seating along the Lincoln Street side of the building.

Garvin & Stevenson LLC bought the former American Supply Co. building for $1.7 million in fall 2005 and began renovating it in July. Garvin said he expects the renovations to be done by fall 2007.

Besides a planned coffee shop, there will be space for at least four other retailers on the building

A Starbucks will possibly be coming to the Vista in the ground floor of the former American Industrial Supply Co. building at Gervais and Lincoln streets. Local architect Scott Garvin, who is renovating the building, says although Starbucks Corp. has not yet signed a lease agreement, a verbal commitment has been made and space is being outfitted for Starbucks. Garvin is confident Starbucks will anchor the historic warehouse, and he plans to add patio seating along the Lincoln Street side of the building.

Garvin & Stevenson LLC bought the former American Supply Co. building for $1.7 million in fall 2005 and began renovating it in July. Garvin said he expects the renovations to be done by fall 2007.

Besides a planned coffee shop, there will be space for at least four other retailers on the building’s bottom floor, Garvin said. The building has been renamed Gervais Place.

That's great!!

The Starbucks announcement just goes to show that it is hard to pinpoint a downtown epicenter in Columbia. Five Points already has one. If everything downtown were located along just Main Street and on side streets within a block of Main, I wonder if there would be a Starbucks at both ends.

The Starbucks announcement just goes to show that it is hard to pinpoint a downtown epicenter in Columbia. Five Points already has one. If everything downtown were located along just Main Street and on side streets within a block of Main, I wonder if there would be a Starbucks at both ends.

I kinda like having multiple epicenters in Columbia. Gives the feeling of a lot of little towns stitched together.

I don't see why not... for example Greenville has 2 subways, one at each end of Main and soon, I believe, will have a Port City Java at each end, as well...

That's more great news for downtown Columbia. There is so much construction going on right now between the downtown area and around the stadium. I've noticed a sign has gone up at the Lofts at Printer's Square, too. I would expect that construction to begin very soon. I highly recommend Savoy, a locally-owned men's shop on that stretch of Lady Street. American Apparel has also located there recently as have a number of stores in the live/work units of Renaissance Square. This will tie in nicely with the Publix and retail stores on Wayne Street, Trustus Theatre and the announced Springhill Suites and Gameday Condotel in the vicinity.