Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Well a Ruth's Chris is coming, so that should help somewhat.

You have any more brands in mind DS?

Krazee, no brands would be best--the best restaurants are home-grown, IMO. Just look at Charleston--those renown restaurants are centered around and/or run by notable chefs. Ruth's Chris will be very nice, though, especially for conventioneers who are looking for a familiar name. That area also has Damon's, which is in other cities, as well as small chains such as Mellow Mushroom or some even bars like Flying Saucer which has locations in Raleigh, Atlanta, and more.

Digital, the selection of Restaurants in Five Points and the Devine Street corridor is quite good: Garibaldi's, Saluda's, Dianne's on Devine, Baan Sawan, Mediterranean Tea Room, Al Amir, Za's, Devine Foods, Sushi Yoshi, etc. The Vista does need more ethnic restaurants like Five Points.

Waccamatt, thanks for reminding me of those--you are right there. We have sophisticated shopping and restaurants on Devine and to a certain extent, 5 Points, but limited or no sophisticated nightspots there, IMO. It would be wonderful to have a district with all three: The Vista is the most logical place. Hopefully, the influx of travelers coming for the new Hilton and Convention Center will bring that balance we're all yearning for!

Krazee, that's right--a little of both, just so there's a balance. Let's learn from Charleston's and other cities' experience with this sort of thing. Perhaps keep out the big-box chains like Gap, but allow the boutique chains like Puma or Brookstone. Those would be cool. It's up to The Vista Development Corp. or whatever it's called, I guess, to see to it that this balance happens.

DS that is exactly what I was getting at. The small boutique stores like puma, kenneth cole,...would create the increase in traffic that is needed. The smaller stores will have ample space to fit in and it will instill confidence in visitors to not only shop at the chain stores, but also the locally owned stores sprinkled in between them.

I also agree that the vista could use more upscale dining choices. I love Dianne's, but I am fearful that those who don't have any contacts in Columbia may miss out on it because of its location. Restaraunts in the vista are in direct sight and in walking distance of the tourist spots (state house, convention center, ...).

So what do y'all think of the name "The Shoppes at Lady Street"?

Personally, I think that name REEKS TO HIGH HEAVEN for several reasons:

1) It brings to mind suburban plazas with fake facades, trying their best to be a REAL downtown, and it doesn't need that because it IS a real downtown.

2) The name sounds hokey and misleading. What will visitors and other potential shoppers think when they hear that name? A Catherine's Stout Shoppe, a purple hat store, and a "Precious Moments" collectibles shop, that's what.

3) The neighborhood and district already has an excellent and well-known name: The Vista. If he wants the shopping to be differientated, just call it Lady Street. :huh: I hope the developer isn't planning to homogenize the disparate buildings that now exist into a unified pseudo-suburban look. That would be the ultimate insult to the cool funky industrial/warehouse feel to the street.

4) It is completely unimaginative as a name, in short . . it S-T-I-N-K-S!

That's my opinion . . -_- . . what do y'all think?

DS I completely agree and those points ran across my mind (specifically the first one) when I read the name, but I was too interested in the concept itself. The corridor (or a particular section thereof) doesn't need a name, and if so, it certainly shouldn't be that (and what's up with the old English words anyway? It's so cheesy).

Someone should email him about that.

I agree; it doesn't need a name, like a shopping center. Just develop the stores and let them stand out on their own.

I agree, however I'll wait until I see the final product before I complain. Projects always have names, but if this one has a road sign and a parking lot out front, I will be unhappy with it.

I hope the name is just the name of the project, an that they dont plan on pushing it as a name for the long term. -_- Like it was said the area doesnt need a name. If a name developes let it be one that the visitors deem it to be. :thumbsup: If anything the word Vista should be somewhere in there. Lady St. is longer than the few blocks in the Vista, therefor if named should be differentiated! :whistling:

Two points:

I think the design of any new buildings will be acceptable. Ben Arnold is the developer of the Vista Lofts, which is an excellent example of contemporary architecture complimenting the historical architecture in a historic district.

Secondly, many have decried Columbia's overall lack of name-brand retail presence in the city, but if retail on Lady shows promise, it is possible that some of the brands that will eventually come to Columbia will come to locate downtown instead of the suburbs.

There's a Hood Construction sign on the building where John Paul Armadillo steak house was, on Assembly between Gervais and Lady. The Garibaldi group is putting a seafood restaurant in there. It is supposed to open in January. Also, Five Guys is now working on its new Vista restaurant across from the Hilton Hotel. They were at a standstill, but they are going at it now. By the way, I have looked closely at the brickwork and windows on the Hilton, and I think it is going to be a rather attractive building. As said in another thread a while back, the picture on the street does not look as good as the picture on the invitation to the groundbreaking, and the building materials in person are looking good in my opinion. Finally, for now, Wild Wings is now open at Lady and Gadsden and was already packed last Sunday for lunch.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I saw something yesterday that struck me as vintage progressive, diverse Columbia. There's a new hair salon on Lady Street in the ground floor of Renaissance (sp) Plaza, and when I drove by yesterday I saw a hairstylist, who happened to be white, styling the hair of a black customer. I like it that you can see inside so clearly (no reflective glass), and it made me feel like Columbia is definitely in the 21st century. That is the type of scene I think makes us look very cosmopolitan. It was almost as though they were posing for a picture for an article about Columbia's good race relations.

I think I might have to run down to see how Lady Street looks now, if they are almost done. I didn't want to get tied up in the construction before.

OT: Came down Main Street this morning, and it seems like a night and day difference between the new streetscaping and the old. I sure hope they find the money to finish the job.

While its a rest. and not exactly retail, the new Wild Wings is going to add great street level pedestrian activity to Lady St. I ate there for the first time yesterday, and it's a great place. It's huge. TV's everywhere, lots of tables and bar seating. I think WWs will go a long way in bringing in the traffic that will support the retail.

OT: Came down Main Street this morning, and it seems like a night and day difference between the new streetscaping and the old. I sure hope they find the money to finish the job.

Absolutely. I think the true test of Main's revitalization will occur with the remainder of the streetscaping project, since this is where the majority of the storefronts are clustered and that area (north of Hampton) has the greater potential to generate pedestrian activity. Facade improvements will go a long way in revitalizing Main as well.

Do only people of Asian descent own convenience stores? That's a bit stereotypical, isn't it, Tem?

If you guys have ever been to Charlotte on Trade street there is a very nice semi-upscale convenient store close to Johnson & Wales, and is owned by Asians, didnt mean it in a bad way, i just think that they are really good at what they do and they keep their businesses so clean!