Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

I think that trying to remain a warehouse district in form (but not in function) limits much of the architectural possibilities in the Vista. The design standards have done a lot of good in the short term, but I wonder if in the long term they are going to limit potential opportunities?

I don't think so, considering that the Kline project got approval, and it is definitely a departure from the traditional Vista architectural form (in a really good way).

I think the city and DDRC would be open to designs that are fresh and creative, yet in keeping with the Vista vibe... the problem is likely that there are so few developers around here that have the awareness, interest and ability to bring something truly cool to the table.

Precisely. But I think that will eventually change. The Kline development (once again), if built, would definitely represent a positive step in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the details on this one:

The first phase will renovate the building for a cooking school, a store selling products made in South Carolina, a restaurant or gourmet deli and possibly a firefighting-themed museum in a fire tower that sits behind the building.

Apartments, condos, office space and a rooftop martini bar will be built in a six-story addition as part of the second phase.

I haven't seen much progress on the Battery at Arsenal Hill since they put the road down. Aren't there supposed to be something like 34 houses in there? Its an awful small lot for that many houses.

They have a lot of curbing and pipe stub ups over at Canalside. Progress seems to be pretty swift over there.

There are several cottages built on the highest point of the development and a two-story or higher house next to the church.

Has anybody taken a close look at those things? The cluster home idea is a nice one, but IMO these are just awful. The design is not what it should be, and the craftsmanship... it's no better than what you would find in a Mungo home.

Edited by emerging.me

Oh, I was coming down Laurel towards Huger and couldn't see them. My bad.

e.m, you've seen them up close? I was afraid that might be the case....

Yeah... we are still looking for a home in the city, so I've been tracking that development. The larger homes may end up being nicer, but those little ones aren't great, IMO. Look like quickie builds to me.

I haven't actually gotten out and walked up onto the porches of them, but IMO they look great. If you want a cottage and the urban experience, voila. I'm sure the materials are hardy plank or whatever or they not? I think they are quite charming. My partner said the same.

I like the details on this one:

Sounds like a really good mix of uses, especially for an existing building. Now if that parking lot at the southeast corner of Park and Senate would get developed, that would be one happenin' intersection.

On another subject, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he wished that Gervais were more pedestrian friendly, and I replied that I think that it is indeed pedestrian friendly, but the fact that it is a major thoroughfare, particularly for Lexington County commuters, somewhat works against that perception. Perhaps, at this point, Gervais should get upgraded a bit. Here are my suggestions: remove the planted medians (I'd love to keep them, but I don't think that could happen with everything else I'm proposing here), extend the sidewalks a bit, plants more trees along the sidewalks to make for an eventual consistent canopy, add bike lanes, and enhance the crosswalks--essentially give it more of a Main Street flavor, without the parking along the street. Thoughts?

Krazee, I think Gervais could be made more pedestrian-friendly (and friendly for those on bikes) by adding bike lanes and enhancing the crosswalks as you suggested. However, I think I'd vote for keeping the parking and the medians. Both slow down traffic (to the extent possible), and removing them would make it more of a speedway, defeating the purpose of making it otherwise more pedestrian/bike friendly. How about adding more benches, as well as more bike racks? Also, the streetscaping needs to be extended up the street to Five Points.

That's a good compromise. I suggested removing the medians so that the sidewalks could be widened, bike lanes could be added, and more trees planted. If the medians stay, then I think that would reduce capacity, and that's not necessarily what I'm aiming for here--just for more of a "Main Street" feel for Gervais, and that includes features to calm traffic. I'm not aware of any Main Street that has planted medians, which tend to be wider than brick-paved medians, such as those on Main, so I don't think removing the ones on Gervais would necessarily work against traffic calming if everything else is in place. And yes, benches and bike rakes (which come along with the package) work as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Vista Lights was very heavily attended last night. My favorite part was that Center Vista had the Columbia Supply building open and served food and beverages. They had big renderings of their future complex and I got a fantastic brochure. The pics in the brochure are so true to life they look like the building is already in place. The alley is going to be great!

Great to hear the event was well attended, as it usually is, and even better to hear about the Center Vista exhibition. Is there any artwork in the alley, Corgi?

I left my brochure at work. Do you mean does the rendering of the alley show any artwork as in public art? I'll have to look again.

I was driving down Gervais today and noticed a banner on the outside of the building with Jillian's in the back (next to RA and Tsunamis). It was advertising a new bar called Wet Willy's. Because of the drinks that were on the banner I assume this is part of a chain of Daiquiri Bars located on Beale Street, in Charleston, Savannah and several other places. Arnold Properties moved out of that building to a new location several months ago - I'm glad it was able to fill up so fast.

I was driving down Gervais today and noticed a banner on the outside of the building with Jillian's in the back (next to RA and Tsunamis). It was advertising a new bar called Wet Willy's. Because of the drinks that were on the banner I assume this is part of a chain of Daiquiri Bars located on Beale Street, in Charleston, Savannah and several other places. Arnold Properties moved out of that building to a new location several months ago - I'm glad it was able to fill up so fast.

That's wonderful to know! I've been to the one in Savannah and Charleston and i think the Charleston location was better because they played a better variety of music. The Savannah location only plays pop 80's music which leads to a weak crowd many times! I think that Vista location is a perfect place for a Wet Willies...as the area grows the crowd in that spot will also!!!

Ahh good point! Now all we need is for the Liq stores to stay open pass 7 and I'm SET! :alc:

Agreed....and i think it's going up for vote for Sunday sales of beverages...but i would like for them to add to the ballot a later closing time. It really hinders most people....i honestly believe that's why people go to the bars so early in Columbia....i mean i've been ticked off plenty of times getting off at 5:30pm....leave the workplace grounds at 5:45 and then get stuck in traffic only to get to the beverage store with only 5 to 15min to spare and having to rush. I remember it being a long line once and they weren't getting people out fast enough....it was 3 people in front of me and the clock it 7p and they said they couldn't sale anymore because it was 7p....people were crushed...and i would have been too if my cousin wasn't stationed at Ft. Jackson at the time. I don't get how NC and GA has way later times than SC.....my brother has driven from Columbia to Augusta before just to get some liquor because he got off at 6:45 and knew he wasn't gonna make it in time. I would be content with a 8pm Monday thru Thursday and a 10p on Friday and Saturday. Sunday could be a 2p to 6p thing. I said i'd be content with those times...not elated...lol

Gotta love watered down liquor.

Exactly....because i remember going to a certain bar and getting 3 drinks and feeling a little tipsy....now at the same place i get the same 3 drinks and don't feel anything. I know it's the law change because i still buy minibottles here and there and i get more bang for my buck!