Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

^^ I hear you. Wasn't that the whole point of the minibottles?

Originally, but it quickly became known differently! You get a shot and a half with a minibottle drink so you are getting more bang for your buck. I had family memebers that loved to go bar hopping in SC because they knew their drinks weren't getting watered down. In many ways....i do miss the mini bottle because you didn't have to rely on lucking up on getting a good bartender in hopes of getting a good drink. I use to tip just for the sake of tipping, but now.... i actually tip based on batending skills...lol...

Supposedly, but many drinks were much more expensive with minibottles.

Exactly....supposely...because this was only true when it came to making specialty drinks like long island iced teas and other drinks with multiple liquors needed. For the most part the prices stayed the same some actually went up. I now get into the habit of drinking liquor prior to going out and then drink on beer while i'm in the bar or club. And i don't care for beer that much....lol...

Mini-bottles meant that you could get a drink in Myrtle Beach or Walhalla and it would be the same. I know I used to get liquor when I went out but now I don't, because beer is the only way I know for sure what I'm getting. Obviously the DUI stats played a much larger role in the process, but for those of us who drink responsibly it is a let down. Oh well :)

Anyway, sorry for that little tangent! Lets try to get back on topic :)

There is news regarding the brownstones proposed on Pulaski Street. There is a bulldozer clearing that land this morning and there have been surveyors there all week so this project must be approaching construction. I'm anxious to see how these condos will look when completed; they are a great addition to Pulaski Street.

It's good to see this development bring a suburban company into the core. I'm sure we'll hear about more tenants, especially restaurant/retail, shortly. I also see that tenants have the option to either lease or buy space. This was an encouraging quote:

"The new uses, the plaza and the retail will create a substantial area of activity that will draw people from the new and existing hotels and convention center, as well as the greater Columbia area," [Fred Delk, executive director of Columbia Development Corp.] said. "This outdoor amenity will become a gathering spot and will again complement the new Starbucks, the art galleries, the residents, and specialty retail already here."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They've started putting up the framing for the second floor to be added to the Hiller Hardware building that's going to be the Carolina Ale House or something like that. And they're continuing to cut new windows into the front of the building on the ground level. There's a small crane on site now.

Finally, after the better part of a decade, they just put hardy plank siding on a two-story house on Gadsden Street, halfway between Lady and Washington. It was only partially sided, with black tar paper showing on 50% of the building for years. It looks nice. It blends in very appropriately.

^That's Staybridge Suites, but thanks for the update with that one; I wonder what it will look like? I haven't seen any renderings for it.

SpringHill Suites will be built at Huger and Lady.

Thanks, Krazee, I can't keep everything straight. I thought we had a rendering for Staybridge on here somewhere. I'll look for it. There is no activity at Lady and Huger, which is a much better location.

Edited by waccamatt

M in the Vista next to American Apparel should open soon. They have their sign on the building. She's the same one who owns the Miyos restaurants and M on Sumter. Also, a new restaurant called Paul's Philadelphia Eatery is renovating the space between the Flying Saucer and Monterrey on Park Street. They have a notice of request for alcohol sales up now.

M in the Vista next to American Apparel should open soon. They have their sign on the building. She's the same one who owns the Miyos restaurants and M on Sumter. Also, a new restaurant called Paul's Philadelphia Eatery is renovating the space between the Flying Saucer and Monterrey on Park Street. They have a notice of request for alcohol sales up now.

Cheese steaks anyone??? :)