Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

If market conditions favored building the hotel on the portion of the property that faces Lady at the same time as Center Vista itself, there would be no doubt that this would be the project of the year. I think it might turn out to be Columbia's version of Charleston Place (on a less extensive scale).

If market conditions favored building the hotel on the portion of the property that faces Lady at the same time as Center Vista itself, there would be no doubt that this would be the project of the year. I think it might turn out to be Columbia's version of Charleston Place (on a less extensive scale).

True, but with 3 hotels already opening downtown this year (The Sheraton, Staybridge Suites and the Springhill Suites) and the Hilton and Courtyard Marriott last year, it is wise for them to wait a year or two.

Yeah i agree with the "sooner than later". I've noticed when i'm in Columbia [especially weekends] that hotels are fairly booked. I've seen first hand that the occupancy numbers are definitely up. I road by the Comfort Suites and the parking lot was full. The Hampton Inn is always full...and the Hilton and Courtyard Marriott always seem nicely filled. If just those hotels are an indicator...then I think other hotels will fare well. Time will tell....but i would love for it to be an Aloft or some type of destination hotel right there in that back lot behind Center Vista

Yeah i agree with the "sooner than later". I've noticed when i'm in Columbia [especially weekends] that hotels are fairly booked. I've seen first hand that the occupancy numbers are definitely up. I road by the Comfort Suites and the parking lot was full. The Hampton Inn is always full...and the Hilton and Courtyard Marriott always seem nicely filled. If just those hotels are an indicator...then I think other hotels will fare well. Time will tell....but i would love for it to be an Aloft or some type of destination hotel right there in that back lot behind Center Vista

An Aloft Hotel would probably be a good fit for that location. I can't wait to see what kind of restaurant goes into the CenterVista retail space.

An Aloft Hotel would probably be a good fit for that location. I can't wait to see what kind of restaurant goes into the CenterVista retail space.

Matt (or anybody) -- Have you been to the Aloft in Charleston yet? It's near the airport -- so not exactly the best location -- but it's one of the few that's actually open already. I still wish they had gone with the Aloft concept at Lady and Huger instead of SpringHill Suites.

Edited by emerging.me

^But I think the parcel behind Center Vista would be a better location for an aLoft than the Huger/Lady location. It would be closer to the center of the action.

Even better, they might go with an Element, also by Starwood. That brand is just as trendy as aLoft but more eco-conscious; each hotel is required to be LEED certified. Everyone's getting an aLoft, but Element is still a little under the radar.

^But I think the parcel behind Center Vista would be a better location for an aLoft than the Huger/Lady location. It would be closer to the center of the action.

Even better, they might go with an Element, also by Starwood. That brand is just as trendy as aLoft but more eco-conscious; each hotel is required to be LEED certified. Everyone's getting an aLoft, but Element is still a little under the radar.

I agree about the location. An Element or an aloft anywhere around there would be great. I wasn't aware of the LEED requirement for Element -- just read the press release... very cool.

CORRECTION: I see the opening of Charleston's aloft has been pushed back to September, so obviously it's not actually open yet.

Edited by emerging.me

• 2 weeks later...

I rode my bike down Lady St. today and it was bustling with activity. Some things I saw:

- The new Springhill Suites Hotel is moving along with the foundation already poured.

- M Vista restaurant was packed for lunch.

- The Ale House / Shoppes at Lady look to be nearing completion. The brick work and red awnings have really transformed the Hiller Hardware building.

- A yellow zoning sign is placed in front of the Kline Steel Site on the Huger St side. I just wasn't brave enough to cross Huger St in lunch hour traffic. Does anyone have an idea?

- Eye on Gervais has moved to Lincoln St (their sign was being put up) next to Palmetto Candy. So hopefully the construction of the Lofts at Printer's Square is just around the corner.

Edited by BrasilnSC

I rode my bike down Lady St. today and it was bustling with activity. Some things I saw:

- The new Springhill Suites Hotel is moving along with the foundation already poured.

- M Vista restaurant was packed for lunch.

- The Ale House / Shoppes at Lady look to be nearing completion. The brick work and red awnings have really transformed the Hiller Hardware building.

- A yellow zoning sign is placed in front of the Kline Steel Site on the Huger St side. I just wasn't brave enough to cross Huger St in lunch hour traffic. Does anyone have an idea?

- Eye on Gervais has moved to Lincoln St (their sign was being put up) next to Palmetto Candy. So hopefully the construction of the Lofts at Printer's Square is just around the corner.

The yellow zoning sign at Kline is for discussion of a proposed sign according to the writing on the notice. I hope it's not for a billboard.

When I first came across the webpage for the webcams of the projects under construction by Cox-Schepp, which is constructing SpringHill Suites, I thought it was just a mistake that the same rendering was also depicted for a SpringHill Suites in the far-flung Ballantyne area under construction here in Charlotte (both are designed by the RBA Group). However, I rode by the construction site today and it looks like the very same rendering is on that construction sign as it is on the one at the Columbia site. How tacky and, IMO, unprofessional would it be for an architecture firm to use the same design for two projects in two cities not even that far apart.

When I first came across the webpage for the webcams of the projects under construction by Cox-Schepp, which is constructing SpringHill Suites, I thought it was just a mistake that the same rendering was also depicted for a SpringHill Suites in the far-flung Ballantyne area under construction here in Charlotte (both are designed by the RBA Group). However, I rode by the construction site today and it looks like the very same rendering is on that construction sign as it is on the one at the Columbia site. How tacky and, IMO, unprofessional would it be for an architecture firm to use the same design for two projects in two cities not even that far apart.

That would be unfortunate, wouldn't it?

^ that is very common practice and it is usually not the decision of the architect. The hotel chains have prototypical designs (much like restaurant chains). Deviations from those designs have to be submitted for approval. An owner who is looking to build something fast and obtain quick approval would likely not deviate far from the propotypical designs. Usually, its the local reviewing authority that "encourages" more unique designs.

Edited by Infinite1

I had lunch at the new M Vista today and it was quite good. The menu is different than the other Miyo's/M Cafe locations as it focuses much more on healthy dining.

Yes, I really enjoyed the new M Vista. Great interior design, interesting menu, but rather expensive for small dishes. The place was hopping, so it looks like Columbia's tastes are getting more sophisticated. Speaking of which, check out the new Moroccan restaurant on Devine. It is terrific.

^ that is very common practice and it is usually not the decision of the architect. The hotel chains have prototypical designs (much like restaurant chains). Deviations from those designs have to be submitted for approval. An owner who is looking to build something fast and obtain quick approval would likely not deviate far from the propotypical designs. Usually, its the local reviewing authority that "encourages" more unique designs.

For some hotels, I know this can be the case, but usually downtown hotels have unique designs. The only exception I can think of are some downtown Marriotts.