Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Yes, I really enjoyed the new M Vista. Great interior design, interesting menu, but rather expensive for small dishes. The place was hopping, so it looks like Columbia's tastes are getting more sophisticated. Speaking of which, check out the new Moroccan restaurant on Devine. It is terrific.

Yes, I have been there twice already - very good.

On another note, everyone will be happy to know that the buildings on the site for the Lofts at Printers Square were beginning to be torn down today. I'm glad to see that project begin; I think it will have a very interesting design and add a lot of color to that area. Has everyone noticed how much development is following the completion of street-scape projects? Let's hope the same happens on the second section of Main Street and on North Main. With several good neighborhoods (Cottontown, Elmwood Park and Earlewood Park) surrounding the Main (north of Elmwood) beautification, I bet we will see a real development boom in that area within a few years of the streetscaping completion.

Even though streetscape projects in Columbia tend to exceed time and budget constraints, I will say that they do their job in terms of attracting new development. It would be nice to see the hotel behind Center Vista get built sooner rather than later. I think it will serve as an anchor for the corridor and will be a catalyst for development towards the eastern end of Lady.

The best thing about the Lofts is that they will be LEED certified. I think that might be a first for a private multiresidential project in Columbia.

For some hotels, I know this can be the case, but usually downtown hotels have unique designs. The only exception I can think of are some downtown Marriotts.

yes, but it is up to to the municipalities to demand uniqueness. MOST (not all) owners will take the path of least resistance.

^I thought the design was unique, since the hotel had actually been redesigned. I guess I'll have to wait and see the finished products. The SpringHill Suites in Ballantyne is a little further along than the one in Columbia. I'll try to make it over there in the near future and see what the exterior is starting to look like.

WOW.

Historic adaptive re-use, retail in the Vista (and not even on Gervais or even Lady), mixed use, tourist-related retail, future second phase, AND it's actually going to start SOON. How much more can you ask for in a project.

Mucho Kudos to the developer for seeing the potential in this site, when many wanted to level it. :thumbsup:

I have an idea, why not renamed Assembly Street after the developer? He has done more for Columbia in less than 10 years than the [General] Assembly has done for Columbia since the state was founded. Seriously, I certainly hope the C of C, the city and the Historic Foundation folks have honored him in a signifcant way. Visionary developers like that don't come along every day.

WOW.

Historic adaptive re-use, retail in the Vista (and not even on Gervais or even Lady), mixed use, tourist-related retail, future second phase, AND it's actually going to start SOON. How much more can you ask for in a project.

Mucho Kudos to the developer for seeing the potential in this site, when many wanted to level it. :thumbsup:

I have an idea, why not renamed Assembly Street after the developer? He has done more for Columbia in less than 10 years than the [General] Assembly has done for Columbia since the state was founded. Seriously, I certainly hope the C of C, the city and the Historic Foundation folks have honored him in a signifcant way. Visionary developers like that don't come along every day.

You can say that again. I can see a Prioreschi Way in Columbia's future.

Rick Patel of Sejwad hotels (based in Columbia, btw) deserves an honorable mention for the outstanding job he's done with renovating the old Palmetto Building into a boutique Sheraton Hotel with 2 restaurants, a cafe and a martini bar. He is also renovating the old Republic national Bank building across the street into meetig and banquet space for the hotel. Once they started the renovation on the Palmetto Building, they discovered it needed A LOT more work than originally expected. A less motivated developer would have abandoned that project. I'm looking forward to the rooftop sushi bar the most.

Edited by waccamatt

WOW.

The General Assembly's work is for the state, not for Columbia.

Now if that lot just across Senate from the old fire station could get developed with some street-level retail, Senate could turn into a nice little mini-corridor. Short term, an office/retail development could work. Long term, another hotel would be cool.

Yes, that would be awesome. Another hotel or a mixed-use development really needs to sprout up on the old Heart of Columbia property, too; it is a real eyesore.

• 2 weeks later...

It's going to be pretty exciting to see the Lofts at Printer's Square and the SpringHill Suites going up literally the same time right across from each other. It will create a nice gateway effect on the western end of Lady at Huger. Carolina Ale House looks pretty good; the rooftop dining will be pretty neat. As far as the Lady Street parking garage, I'm assuming that the retail spaces that will front Lady will get built last. Am I right about that?

It's going to be pretty exciting to see the Lofts at Printer's Square and the SpringHill Suites going up literally the same time right across from each other. It will create a nice gateway effect on the western end of Lady at Huger. Carolina Ale House looks pretty good; the rooftop dining will be pretty neat. As far as the Lady Street parking garage, I'm assuming that the retail spaces that will front Lady will get built last. Am I right about that?

I agree about the "Lofts" and the hotel going up at the same time. I know Trustus Theatre is excited, too. The Carolina Ale House does look good, but I wish it was a more interesting restaurant that was locating there. There is room between the garage and the street to build retail, it just looks like it will be separate from the garage itself. I think it's amazing how closely new developments have followed streetscaping. Look how much is opening on Lady Street just a year or so after the end of the streetscaping and look how much has opened on Main Street in the area that has already been streetscaped.

We ate at M Vista last night. It is beautiful inside and the food was very good. We sat at a table at the window looking onto Lady Street, and people were walking past the window off and on throughout our meal, because they had to park down by Renaissance Square and walk across the Lady Street Bridge. The restaurants between Gadsden and the bridge were very busy. The new hotel should provide a lot more foot traffic through there.

The main feature I like about the Lady Street parking garage besides the brick work is that the cars are supposed to be hidden by windows according to the rendering. The windows aren't in yet, but they are supposed to be square windows, not long rectangular ones.

• 2 weeks later...