Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Rick Luber, the new CEO of the CVB (CVB is umbrella that includes the convention center), is pushing hard to rein in a lot more conventions through increased advertizing and the new slogan. Hotel rooms will be needed for him to realize his goal.

I missed those Fire Station renderings the first time. Glad you reposted! :) I'm such a nitpicker... that gaudy signage takes a giant dump on the simple '50s modern architecture.

I think the signage is exquisite. Love it.

Rick Luber, the new CEO of the CVB (CVB is umbrella that includes the convention center), is pushing hard to rein in a lot more conventions through increased advertizing and the new slogan. Hotel rooms will be needed for him to realize his goal.

The problem is that the CVB already needs additional funding for marketing purposes in order to fill up all the new hotel rooms that are currently being built throughout the city. CVB funding is expected to drop about $300,000, bringing the budget to $1.4 million. More than half of the funding--$1 million--comes from the city, which has cut its tourism funding, from a 2006 high of $1.23 million, to pay for other needs. There was a recent article in The State about it.

I heard a juicy tidbit tonight. I had dinner with a buddy of mine that is doing the graphic design for the "Touch of the South" place. He had a meeting with them this week, and they told him that the lot across the street is going to be a "W" hotel. This is pretty reliable info, but I have no idea when an official announcement might come.

If true, that would be phenomenal.

It still hurts to look at the last set of renderings for the Kline site prior to the project being put on hold. That would (will?) have been one heck of a development.

Those renderings were never publicized, right? I heard a lot about them and am still SO curious. I know they were very very modern, right?

Wow, a W at Senate and Park? I thought there was going to be an alumni thing, or is that the other side of the block?

Thanks for the link. Very nice. I'm guessing 5 years from now Cola might be ready for it to start up again. I'd live there if I could. It's not as far out there as I expected after hearing comments about ultra ultra modern. It's just normal big city modern.

Thanks for the link. Very nice. I'm guessing 5 years from now Cola might be ready for it to start up again. I'd live there if I could. It's not as far out there as I expected after hearing comments about ultra ultra modern. It's just normal big city modern.

I agree. For the record, the first rendering I saw was (I assume) an earlier version of the Huger facade. It was basically the same program, but with some sleek, sexy ultramodern curves.

I missed those Fire Station renderings the first time. Glad you reposted! :) I'm such a nitpicker... that gaudy signage takes a giant dump on the simple '50s modern architecture.

I'm with you on your signage beef. That giant pineapple has got to go. The building really lends itself to a wonderful mid-century signage treatment. Hope that gets revised as the design moves forward...

Ha! C'mon Krazee, Googie is great! :)

What I'm talking about here though is just something *very* clean and simple. Ideally, it would just be lettering like the old Fire Station signage.

People in this city need to learn good (modern) design! While we're at it why don't we just throw some fancy schmancy Roman columns on it, or let's see how many gables we can get up on that roof!?! Come on, people. :)

A business is known by its brand, which also includes a logo or emblem. I wouldn't want to change my business's logo or emblem just because it's going on a building, and since the developers are doing EVERYTHING right here, I think the perceived "clash" is well worth it.