Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Yeah, I'm glad that it's an all-brick facade. The hotel's massing was grossly exagerrated in the renderings. I wish something (shops, a restaurant) could have filled in the rest of the block along the Lady Street side.

Is it just me, or is it hard to believe that the Lofts at Printers Square is actually getting built?

I like the way the garage is turning out. Having commercial space on both sides is a really good touch, although I doubt that the uses on the Washington Street side will actually be commecial.

Another shot of The Pizza Joint:

The_Pizza_Joint.jpg

I had no idea Club Fusion got some new makeup. I actually like the new getup:

Club_Fusion.jpg

It was a pink/rose color before:

Vistacornerbldgs.jpg

That new paint scheme for "Ice"... whatever it is... is EXTREME!! Wow. I am all for funkiness, but that is sort of nauseating. When did you take the pic?? I have an office right down the street and hadn't noticed the change -- don't see how I could have missed it!

Re: Lofts at Printer's Square... Yes, I am in disbelief that the project is actually moving forward. I don't believe any of the units have sold, but I did some asking around... There are apparently VERY DEEP pockets behind the project, so even in the current lending climate there was nothing that was going to stop the thing from going forward. I have a developer friend who jokingly says that it's going to be more of a sculpture than a residential structure. I have no doubt that it'll be pretty to look at, but it's also sort of a microcosm for all of the issues I have with Columbia's downtown renaissance.

The black accents I can live with. The red has got to go. Apparently color is not part of what has to pass muster in the Vista, or they painted it without permission, thinking it's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. I rode past and saw indications that it is no longer a gay bar, that the clientele has changed. Bright red brings out people's tempers, and I'm afraid it will become a hot spot in a bad way. All that notwithstanding, the building now screams to the point of separating itself visually from everything else in the Vista.

I wouldn't be surprised if the proprietors of Ice are told to paint over the garish red with a more subtle color. It is a bit too out there, IMO.

I am glad to see the neglected building get some attention, however. The inside is more upscale, a vast improvement over the nasty, sticky carpet, and overwhelmingly trashy Club Fusion. I wish this new urban nightclub much success . . after they tame the paint job a bit, that is! :lol:

I just remembered what the new paint job reminds me of: Gerald's Tires, a chain in the Charleston area painted garish reddish-orange and black to stand out amongst the suburban landscape.

It might be okay for a loud service station in the slummier parts of a city, but this paint scheme is certainly NOT appropriate for the Vista.

The opinions here about the new paint job here certainly run the gamut. At least there's something now worth talking about in the Vista from an aesthetic standpoint. :)

IMO there is a lot positive to talk about aesthetically in the Vista, and that building's new color ain't it.

• 2 weeks later...