Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

I'd pretty much thought the Columbia Supply renovation/Center Vista was dead. It's good to see that it's not. I also didn't know that a Chili's was originally planned for that building, but now it will be another restaurant. I wonder which one. I also hope that within the next year or two, the office portion will see construction.

xy_BACB447E-1012-43FC-80C3-A95402DE31C4__.jpg

I'm hoping that "Miller-Valentine Group" signage is just a placeholder in the rendering for the actual name of the restaurant.

I was talking about this development today with someone in the know. I don't think they have a tenant yet, but the project is supposed to start in the next couple of months.

I was talking about this development today with someone in the know. I don't think they have a tenant yet, but the project is supposed to start in the next couple of months.

That's good news.

The graphic that was posted doesn't reflect the changes being made which are reflected in the latest DDRC agenda. Those changes include reopening two existing but blocked-in entries at the front of the building and moving the west side entry to the restaurant to the north end of the side of the building.

newColumbiaSupply.jpg

Here's an article from The State about a four-story building proposed for Lady Street at Lincoln in front of the new parking garage. It will have retail on the ground floor and offices on the top three floors. It is not expected to be ready until spring, 2010 because there is no rush due to the present state of the economy. The article also touches on the fact that some projects in the Vista are being delayed (not cancelled) because of the economy.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/610461.html

I wonder if there will be any movement on this project at all this year.

Just saw a rumor on Twitter that Tako Sushi (a sushi and burrito joint in one -- there's one in Aiken) may move into the Doc's Gumbo Grille building on Assembly. Anyone tried it? Sounds novel.

Here's the link to their website: Tako Sushi.com. They have a location on South Main in Greenville. I've never eaten there, myself.

My partner and I used to eat at Doc's Gumbo Grill weekly and Doug the owner told us Taco-Sushi was taking his place. We commented on how gross the combination of tacos and sushi seemed, but I guess there's a market for it. Doc's incidentally is supposed to be reopening on Rosewood Drive at some point, but I'm not sure it's going to pan out.

My partner and I used to eat at Doc's Gumbo Grill weekly and Doug the owner told us Taco-Sushi was taking his place. We commented on how gross the combination of tacos and sushi seemed, but I guess there's a market for it. Doc's incidentally is supposed to be reopening on Rosewood Drive at some point, but I'm not sure it's going to pan out.

There's a Tako-Sushi in greenville...found the menu online.

I think it may actually be pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I passed by the future Taco Sushi on Assembly at 9 p.m. tonight and some men were out front working on it. The former Hush now has an alcohol application notice in the window and the Hush sign is gone. They continue to work on the new Charleston-based oyster bar at Gervais and Park. And the building that used to be John Paul Armadillo looks to be getting close to opening as a new restaurant owned by Garibaldi's.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a 4 story building would have fit in well and blocked the 4 story garage better. I understand we are in a recession, but things are slowly picking up. I find that to be a lame excuse for reducing the size of the building. If the economy is an issue, why even build now?

Edited by BrasilnSC

I believe the new place is spelled Tako Sushi, it doesn't have a Tex-Mex flair. :)

After looking at the link to the menu, apparently I was wrong. Tex-Mex/Sushi sounds like an odd concept, but I'll try it and have an open mind. With the 2nd Garibaldi's, Tako Sushu, the Tin Can place, the Oyster place and what's going into the Hush location, there will be a lot of new restaurant options in the Vista soon.

After looking at the link to the menu, apparently I was wrong. Tex-Mex/Sushi sounds like an odd concept, but I'll try it and have an open mind. With the 2nd Garibaldi's, Tako Sushu, the Tin Can place, the Oyster place and what's going into the Hush location, there will be a lot of new restaurant options in the Vista soon.

And even more to come I hear! The restaurant biz is going strong in the Vista.

Looks like the commercial spaces to front the new Lady Street garage will only be two stories now instead of four, thanks to current economic conditions.

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/tasks/sites/coc/assets/File/Dev_Services/Agendas/DDRC/PDS_DDRC_packet_2010_03_02_Lady825.pdf

I don't like the idea of a 2-story building there. Birch should hold off on building all together.

• 2 weeks later...

So how are the various Vista projects (twelve14 Pulaski, 521 Gervais, SC Bar Conference Center, etc.) coming along? Has the Lofts condo building opened yet, and if so, any retailers on the ground floor?

twelve14 is down to finishing exterior touches and interior work. I think it looks awesome. Primary tentant, TD Ameritrade, has a "coming soon" banner in the window. Upstairs will be a "clubhouse" for the group of doctors who own the project -- also available for event rental, I think. Rear building will be a spa. Eco, I believe it's called.

Lofts building is STILL slowly making progress. Does not appear that anything is imminent.