Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

That building has some goon concepts, Krazee, but I hope that whatever gets built there is a signature building, with something more... pleasing to the eye on the corner. Some sort of "turret" or clock-tower or something would look great in that spot. I'd also like to see more open space on the corner (like a small plaza area) so that pedestrians have plenty of room.

I'm not saying I'd like to see that exact development come to the corner of Assembly and Gervais, but something along those lines. It looks like this proposed Montgomery development has more than its fair share of EIFS which should not be the case for a development like this in Columbia. I also agree about a small plaza area.

^Precisely. I cited this as an example of the type of development that should go in that spot (and the one across from it). This is a project planned for downtown Montgomery:

HyattPlace1.jpg

Wow know what something like this might be better on the Corner of Assembly and Gervais. i might Just change my Design Around. i will make a few changes. and see if it will look better.

I Made a Update to my Design. its smaller. its Mostly Retail on the bottom 2 floors and a apartment/condo on the upper floor.

the name of it is The Leaf. the Garage Half is behind on the corner of lady and Park street. its 8 Stories tall. but taller by the Fin that slops out.

5105907703_5b4c74d176_b.jpg

Edited by growingup15

On November 11th DDRC will be considering design approval for an office building with retail space on the ground floor on the old Huger Street bus barn property. They don't have renderings in the attached material.

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/tasks/sites/coc/assets/File/Dev_Services/Agendas/DDRC/PDS_DDRC_Packet_2010_11_11_Huger_St_1409.pdf

I imagined that lot to be combined with the Kline Steel site for a big development, like an aquarium or something like that. Looking at the proposal, I see that it will have surface parking and a drive-thru, which is far from optimal but not surprising given the lack of development of the immediate area. At least those features won't have frontage on Huger according to the DDR application. Sounds a bit like the Red Rock development that was proposed about 2 years ago on the other side of Huger near the McDonald's but never got off the ground:

SenateStbldg.jpg

On November 11th DDRC will be considering design approval for an office building with retail space on the ground floor on the old Huger Street bus barn property. They don't have renderings in the attached material.

http://www.columbia.sc.gov/tasks/sites/coc/assets/File/Dev_Services/Agendas/DDRC/PDS_DDRC_Packet_2010_11_11_Huger_St_1409.pdf

It appears as though the firm designing the project, MCA Architecture out of Greenville, is the same one that designed the AT&T (then BellSouth) building on Huger.

This sounds very underwhelming: surface parking, one-story, "an entrance that principally addresses the parking lot,

not the primary pedestrian street". This is prime real estate for something super dense and urban. I hope the rendering will look better than it sounds.

In other news, Paul Philadelphia Eatery (next to Flying Saucer) has closed. A sign indicates a new business called "The Big Ugly" is coming soon. Anyone have an idea what kind of business this is?

"With this proposal being a single story/non-infill, structure, the emphasis on openings is

applied on all sides visible from the public right-of-way." - Section 5.3.3.

I shouldn't jump to conclusions until I see actual plans, but giving the information, I'm skeptical it'll be something to get excited about. I hope I'm wrong. :unsure:

"With this proposal being a single story/non-infill, structure, the emphasis on openings is

applied on all sides visible from the public right-of-way." - Section 5.3.3.

I shouldn't jump to conclusions until I see actual plans, but giving the information, I'm skeptical it'll be something to get excited about. I hope I'm wrong. :unsure:

Ahhh, thanks for pointing out the height. One-story office buildings usually aren't anything to get excited about. I think a higher use should be encouraged for that site but I don't know if the city could actually do anything about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Some photo updates, taken 11/27.

The (relatively) new Tin Roof venue on Park. Now all that's needed is for the adjacent surface parking area to be developed along with the old fire HQs building, and that will be a nice jumping area:

5214422397_37c17bd953_z.jpg

Construction on the old Columbia Supply Building, which will house a Jason's Deli:

5215028102_4994bda22a_z.jpg

The completed SC Bar Conference Center:

5215024312_fce465c424_z.jpg

5215025204_af172c923d_z.jpg

5214433387_626152a36e_z.jpg

5214430913_ed1ec95b95_z.jpg

The completed twelve14 Pulaski building. I like the way this turned out. Nice small infill project with good street presence, and it breaks up the red brick facade pattern along Gervais a bit:

5215027256_7dd21d0edc_z.jpg