Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

Good question; I'm not sure. The existing ordinance would require 45 parking spaces, but the developer wishes to provide only 8, and they would be interior to the development with a curb cut on Gervais.

Here's the DDRC application with renderings included: http://columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20140710/gervais705_eval_july2014.pdf

I did some searching on the city's zoning and planning documents, but I didn't find what I was looking for. I'm glad the developer is not conforming to the city's rules, but it seems amazingly out of date and such an unnecessary process for this location, IMO. The Vista is very much set up this way with private parking lots for businesses and whatnot, which I suppose gives it some of its own character, but it sets up a dangerous precedent. Thoughts?

The city is in the process of thoroughly updating its zoning ordinances to include any changes in parking requirements that they conclude are appropriate.  I attended and participated in the forum for input from the public two weeks ago, and I gleaned nothing from the city's feedback presentation that suggested people are saying more parking is needed.  I don't remember that issue even being mentioned.  The need for infill development and connectivity were front and center, but apparently not enough people belly-ached about parking for the city to even mention it.  

Based on comments I've heard from city officials, they know its time for the city to grow up and let patrons of downtown businesses be big boys and girls and find parking where they can find it and hoof it to their downtown destinations, because that's what we do in cities.  In other words I'm pretty sure the number of required parking spaces for businesses is going to be decreased.  Also, in several businesses' requests to the zoning board for parking spaces, I think I've noted recently that some have requested some off-site spaces in parking garages.

The city should work with the state and SCANA on parking requirements as these two entities represent most of the surface lots in the city. At this point it probably does not make financial sense to consolidate the disparate lots into garage parking, but that will change as more people and businesses move into the downtown core.

Just building parking garages in the vista wouldn't be completed without making it mixed use garage.

As for underground the only garage with underground parking but not being used is the garage behinds The Hub on main. Not full underground but has underground parts.

I think the big open surface parking on the corner of Assembly and Gervais next to mellow mushroom should be turned into an epic mixed used garage. 2 floors on the bottom should be business/retail and 5 levels above parking. Completely equip with electric changing stations.

I see bigger things for the parcels at Gervais and Assembly.  And if I have ever said on UP.org that I think buildings there should be limited to four floors, I've changed my mind.  They should be tall enough to hide the parking garage behind the Capitol Center from the highest point on Meeting Street in West Columbia from which you can see the garage.  Basically I guess I'm saying they should be the same height as that parking garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Greenville developers are going to build 280 apartments with retail below, a hotel, and an office building at Gervais and Huger on the former Kline Iron site.

The combination of the site’s access to places of work, the Riverfront Park/Three Rivers Greenway, as well as the restaurant and entertainment venues in the Vista is unparalleled.” - quote from the developer in The State

http://www.thestate.com/2014/07/22/3577700/nearly-300-apartments-coming-to.html?sp=/99/205/&ihp=1

You beat me to it- incredible! This has long been one of the best undeveloped parcels in the city. The mixed used concept is probably the best fit for this site as it provides a key link between the Vista and the river. The variety will ensure that the street is active throughout the day and night. I think a restaurant/bar would do very well in the base of the residence on Huger.

The S.C. State Museum will open its new facility on Aug. 16 in Columbia, with an observatory, planetarium and a 4-D theater.

All three of these elements, plus a multidisciplinary museum focusing on art, history, natural history, and science and technology, will be housed under one roof.

The 75,000-square-foot renovation and expansion project will be known as Windows to New Worlds.

I think the Cupertino, CA Aloft looks more like what I would like to see, classic with a little modern, and this is a 4 story hotel for comparison--

I don't think DDR would let a hotel like this, but wanted to show it because its a 4 story Aloft hotel--Birmingham, AL

The Lexington, MA Aloft is 5 stories, but has a good bit of brick and may fit in

Edited by SCastroman

The Vista is truly on fire; it's becoming hard to keep up now. This is being proposed for the McDonald's block at the corner of Gervais and Huger:

A four-story apartment building is in the works for Columbia’s Vista neighborhood, according to documents filed with the city planning commission.

The project is planned for a 2.3-acre parcel on a block bounded by Senate, Gervais, Williams and Huger streets.

Developers, who are not named in the documents, are seeking permission to rezone the property for mixed-use urban from mixed commercial. The commission is scheduled to take up the application at Monday’s meeting at City Hall.

The application said the developer is seeking to rezone the property “for the purpose of allowing for the construction of a four-story residential complex containing studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom facilities, together with on-site parking garage for non-student use.”

• Like 1

Even though this list is for all of DT, just wanted to put this list that we compiled over on CD here.

And Krazee/Mutiny you beat me to it. Was just about to put the announcement on here.

Proposed:
Kline Property (4-6 stories)
Clarion Reno/constuction (6 stories)
Main Flatts (5 stories)
apartment building surrounding McD's in the Vista (4 stories)

Approved/planned/close to construction:
Aloft Hotel at Lincoln & Lady St. (5 stories)
Agfisrt Reno
City Market redevelopment
phase 2&3 of USC's development around Blossom (6-7 stories)
Student Housing tower on Assembly (12-15 stories)
Williams Brice Plaza
500 Blossom(student housing) (4 stories)
520 Pendleton(student housing) (2-3 stories)
Palmetto Compress
Parking Garage on Blossom (5 stories)
Finish Assembly Street Improvements
Huger Street Improvements
Greene Street Bridge over RR tracks
William Street Continuation
Columbia Common (Nothing taller then steeple on Babcock building)
Coliseum Reno

Under Construction/Topped Out/Almost complete:
620 Blossom(student housing) (4-5 stories)
710/724 Pulaski(student housing) (4-5 stories)
USC Alumni Center
The Hub
AllSouth HQ (3 stories)
Olympia Apartments (3-4 stories)
Museum expansion
Keenan Building Reno
Sheraton Convention Center
Greek Village new houses
Phase 1 of USC's development on Blossom(6-7 stories)
Addition on a restaurant on Lady Street
Music Farm
Darla Moore School of Business (4 stories)
USC Law Center
Adluh Flour Reno
Hyatt hotel (6 stories)
USC indoor/outdoor practice field
Former USC indoor practice field Reno
Office furniture store reno

Recently Completed:
First Community Bank Reno
Agape HQ
Century 21

• 5 weeks later...
All pictures are mine.

14909175897_06d1d486b4_m.jpg
Hyatt Place.
15095375092_eab4cee34e_m.jpg
USC Alumni Center.
15072726566_368dcd18e6_m.jpg
USC Alumni Center.
14909169578_1ae69ca98a_m.jpg
Crane is up for the new USC student housing behind the Coliseum.
15092725931_12c7a9d0eb_m.jpg
USC student housing.
14909074429_83be27842d_m.jpg
New Olympia apartments.
14909152310_ac64f60984_m.jpg
New Olympia apartments.
15095409892_53115b8a23_m.jpg
Building is gone for 500 Blossom. (Couldn't get a shot on 520 Blossom(?))
15095770095_6f8d005288_m.jpg
Pendleton Street student housing.
15095767555_fa3717226b_m.jpg
Pendleton Street student housing.
14909104629_c67be6647f_m.jpg
AllSouth new HQ. (Sorry for the bad picture.)

Thought people who post on here but don't live here would want to see how some of the the projects are progressing.

Sorry for not resizing...still working how to do it.
  • Like 1

The state is selling a parking lot on Huger, diagonally across from the new building behind McDonalds. The stretch of Huger from Gervais to Blossom is long and will take a while to infill, but a residential development on this site would go a long way toward bridging the gap.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/04/3657744_state-selling-prime-vista-real.html?sp=/99/205/&rh=1

Edited by carolinagarnet