Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

I went down to Lady Street yesterday after work, and I was pretty impressed. Golf clap to Columbia. Thge only place that really needs work is that block next to Huger Street.

It was the first close look at I had at the live/work units, and I was impressed. I wouldn't pay whatthey are asking for them, but it i a neat idea.

The view on Lady looking up towards Assmebly was really nice. I wish I had my digicam to snap a few pictures.

I agree about the Kline Steel project. It will extend Lady across Huger and that should be quite the intersection once all the projects are complete.

developer told a friend of mine they were dealing with site cleanup issues and that was taking a while. No idea how accurate that is but i did notice a backhoe had been unloaded there when I drove by yesterday

I saw three men, one with blue prints in his hand, on the sidewalk in front of the Hiller Hardware building on Lady Street yesterday afternoon. The State this morning says developers intend to make that development, including the buildings across the street, a place for destination shopping.

Now that they are building several parking garages in the Vista area, does anyone know if these buildings will include ground-level shops and other places that will give it "life" on the street? For example, the parking garage associated with the new Hilton hotel. If that is not being built with little shops and businesses on the street, then that area will be very depressing, especiallly with the Transportation Department building next door. It would be a missed opportunity for enlivening that part of the Vista.

Now that they are building several parking garages in the Vista area, does anyone know if these buildings will include ground-level shops and other places that will give it "life" on the street? For example, the parking garage associated with the new Hilton hotel. If that is not being built with little shops and businesses on the street, then that area will be very depressing, especiallly with the Transportation Department building next door. It would be a missed opportunity for enlivening that part of the Vista.

The Hilton parking garage will have retail, 2 or 3 spaces I think, facing Lincoln St and the Convention Center. Not sure about the others.

• 1 month later...

How do you guys feel about the American Apparrel, Savoy, and Wild Wings buildings not being built up to the actual sidewalk and the strip of "island parking" that exists between the buildings and the street?

Its not too bad really but it definately changes the feel of the area to be more like a small strip mall.

Also, to be exact the building American Apparel doesn't have a parking lot between it and the street.

Also, to be exact the building American Apparel doesn't have a parking lot between it and the street.

Thanks for the correction; I knew the Wild Wings building and the ones next to it did, but I wasn't sure if that extended all the way down to the American Apparel building. At any rate, it isn't bad, but I don't really prefer it. I hope new buildings are built right up to the sidewalk.

• 2 weeks later...

Those buildings were constructed when setback was still the rule in that area. If they were just now going before the architectural design board, they would have to be built up to the curb to meet masterplan guidelines. Incidently, the parking garage/retail complex that is to be built at Lincoln and Lady has been approved architecturally. Construction should start before too long. Also, the parcel at the end of the strip of stores anchored by The Backpacker is for sale, the parcel that fronts Lady Street, across from Renaissance (sp) Plaza.

Do you know if there are any renderings of the parking garage avaialble, CorgiMatt?

I noticed that there are several parcels for sale downtown these days. Wish I had some free-flowing pockets to snatch a few of them up.

No, I don't know where you can go to see a rendering. I saw the architectural review board hearing on Cable channel 2, but they didn't even show it on there. Their camera work in those meetings is very primitive and they seldom show renderings. I've been meaning to email city council about that, because the viewer seldom gets to see renderings of anything in their meetings either.