Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

• 1 month later...

Rumored:

Student housing at Gervais and Harden

Proposed:
Kline Property (4-6 stories)
Main Flatts (5 stories)
apartment building surrounding McD's in the Vista (4 stories)

Approved/planned/close to construction:
Aloft Hotel at Lincoln & Lady St. (5 stories)
Agfisrt Reno
phase 2&3 of USC's development around Blossom (6-7 stories)
Student Housing tower on Assembly (12-15 stories)
Williams Brice Plaza
500 Blossom(student housing) (4 stories)
520 Pendleton(student housing) (2-3 stories)
Palmetto Compress
Parking Garage on Blossom (5 stories)
Finish Assembly Street Improvements
Huger Street Improvements
Greene Street Bridge over RR tracks
William Street Continuation
Columbia Common (Nothing taller then steeple on Babcock building)
Coliseum Reno

Nursing Care Center, 2200 Harden St

Under Construction/Topped Out/Almost complete:
City Market redevelopment

Clarion Reno/constuction (6 stories)/destruction

620 Blossom(student housing) (4-5 stories)/land cleared, ground/underground work being done
710/724 Pulaski(student housing) (4-5 stories)/parking garage first floor started/crane up
USC Alumni Center/all framing done, exterior work
Olympia Apartments (3-4 stories)/brick work, indoor work
Keenan Building Reno
Sheraton Convention Center
Phase 1 of USC's development on Blossom(6-7 stories)/4th-5th floor main building, 3rd floor parking garage, 2 cranes up
Addition on a restaurant on Lady Street
USC Law Center/land cleared
Adluh Flour Reno
Hyatt hotel (6 stories)/finishing of brick, inside work
USC indoor/outdoor practice field
Former USC indoor practice field Reno

Recently Completed:
First Community Bank Reno
Agape HQ
Century 21

The Hub

AllSouth HQ (3 stories)

Office furniture store reno

Darla Moore School of Business (4 stories)

Music Farm

Greek Village new houses

Museum expansion

Edited by SouthernBorn
  • Like 1

I'm wondering whether there will be traffic signals installed at the intersections around the new dorms going up by the Colonial Life Arena, Coliseum, Moore School area? Currently there are stop signs on Lincoln, but cross traffic does not stop. I can foresee this becoming increasingly dangerous as the new structures bring in even more crowds of people (on foot, in cars, etc).

• Like 1

Where are the new Greek houses located?

What do the planned Huger St. improvements consist of? TIA.

Had heard the new Greek houses (not the existing ones across Blossom St) will be near the Palmetto Compress Warehouse, which is also being developed for housing/retail, I believe. I'm unaware of the details of Huger St improvements.

Had heard the new Greek houses (not the existing ones across Blossom St) will be near the Palmetto Compress Warehouse, which is also being developed for housing/retail, I believe. I'm unaware of the details of Huger St improvements.

The compress won't be student housing. Last I heard it was going to be office, hotel and retail space. The new Greek house is within the current Greek village and is finished. Huger street improvements include the bridge over the railroad tracks and will be like the assembly street improvements without the median.

Those are the last words I've heard.

It's strange that they chose not to build sidewalks on the bridge. I know there is a sketchy crossing down by the train tracks, but with all of the new residents on the other side they are going to have to build something. I imagine the Greene Street extension will help further solve the problem whenever it is built.

It's strange that they chose not to build sidewalks on the bridge. I know there is a sketchy crossing down by the train tracks, but with all of the new residents on the other side they are going to have to build something. I imagine the Greene Street extension will help further solve the problem whenever it is built.

If I'm not mistaken it's supposed to be built in conjunction with the current student housing project at Pulaski. It was proposed with it in the DDRC submission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Proposed:

Main Flatts (5 stories)

Student housing at Gervais and Harden(5-7 stories)

Agfisrt Reno

Palmetto Compress

Coliseum Reno

Williams Brice Plaza

Clarion Reno/constuction (6 stories)

620 Blossom(student housing) (4-5 stories)

710/724 Pulaski(student housing) (4-5 stories)crane up

USC Alumni Center

Olympia Apartments (3-4 stories)

Keenan Building Reno

Sheraton Convention Center

Phase 1 of USC's development on Blossom(6-7 stories)2 cranes up

USC Law Center(3-4 stories)

Adluh Flour Reno

Hyatt hotel (6 stories)

Recently Completed:

Edited by SouthernBorn

Proposed:

Main Flatts (5 stories)

Student housing at Gervais and Harden(5-7 stories)

Agfisrt Reno

Palmetto Compress

Coliseum Reno

Williams Brice Plaza

Clarion Reno/constuction (6 stories)

620 Blossom(student housing) (4-5 stories)

710/724 Pulaski(student housing) (4-5 stories)crane up

USC Alumni Center

Olympia Apartments (3-4 stories)

Keenan Building Reno

Sheraton Convention Center

Phase 1 of USC's development on Blossom(6-7 stories)2 cranes up

USC Law Center(3-4 stories)

Adluh Flour Reno

Hyatt hotel (6 stories)

Recently Completed:

I don't understand why nothing can be taller than the Steeple on the babcock. Honestly I think that whole area is prime for mid rise and maybe a couple high rise buildings.

I haven't seen anything about a parking garage on Blossom and I'm not sure which restaurant on Lady you're referring to, but I made the updates. The Huger renovations and Greene extensions were included in a submission to the state Infrastructure Bank, but I am not sure if they are actually approved.

Same list for 4 months first times somebody's said something. Parking garage was in a city council meeting 4-5 months ago. Addition is at huger and lady. Greene extension is included with William street continuation. Neither of those last I checked were included. The bridge over for the train tracks on huger is with the infrastructure bank.

I don't understand why nothing can be taller than the Steeple on the babcock. Honestly I think that whole area is prime for mid rise and maybe a couple high rise buildings.

I can definitely see why there will be no buildings competing in height with the dome of the Babcock Building on the grounds of Columbia Common. There are historic places within cities in which we sometimes just have to forego high-rises to pay homage to grand old buildings. 

I can definitely see why there will be no buildings competing in height with the dome of the Babcock Building on the grounds of Columbia Common. There are historic places within cities in which we sometimes just have to forego high-rises to pay homage to grand old buildings.

I for one personally think there are too many places in the city. Or some people just choose to build low.

Same list for 4 months first times somebody's said something. Parking garage was in a city council meeting 4-5 months ago. Addition is at huger and lady. Greene extension is included with William street continuation. Neither of those last I checked were included. The bridge over for the train tracks on huger is with the infrastructure bank.

I must not noticed it before. I'm assuming it's between Lady and Geddes where the old warehouse was for sale? That site was primed for redevelopment and I suppose it's as good a place as any for a parking garage. I read an article (which I included in the description of the Williams and Greene Street extensions) that said it would be included in a request to the infrastructure bank, but I haven't seen anything formally approving them. Unless I am mistaken, they are also on the penny sales tax road list As nice as it would be to have access to the river, Williams Street doesn't seem as big a priority when there is still so much land to develop in Innovista. That said, Williams is a prerequisite for a waterfront park being build, though this also seems to be a lower priority to the city at the moment. Greene on the other hand is a huge priority for connectivity now that a ton of student housing is being built across the train tracks. Traffic on Blossom will be a nightmare if they don't build another access road.

It's somewhat analogous to the building height limits in Paris and Washington, though on a smaller scale. I really hate that Atlanta has three different skylines, it makes the city seem disjointed. I don't know that there's even enough demand for mid- or high-rises in Columbia Commons, but I'm glad they imposed the height rule. There are plenty of gaps in the skyline on Main Street to merit limiting development in other neighborhoods.

Scrolling was painful, but I saw the whole thing. This renovation and the renovation of the Babcock Building (Columbia Common) alone will be huge in scale as far as downtown Columbia's redevelopment is concerned.

I've said either on this forum or elsewhere, or both, that the woman who bought the PCW has a track record and puts her money where her mouth is.

Would that be Rosie Craig? If so, I agree. She was one of the Vista pioneers, spurring the renovation of the DuPre Building. Hope this project succeeds!

• 1 month later...