Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

• 2 weeks later...

Police headquarters, on Washington Street in the Vista, is antiquated, and a new headquarters is needed.

It seems logical that the Vista will eventually expand north of Lady since the area south of Pendleton will be dominated by USC and there is not much land prime for development along Gervais or Lady in the core of the district. The police headquarters sits squarely between Finlay Park, the Vista, and downtown, so it would seem to be a great location for new office space or apartments. The one challenge with that site is that the municipal court would probably stay in place after the move unless the city got a good enough deal for the land. Given the pace of development in the Vista, I think there will be plenty of interest if the city decides to sell the site.

http://www.thestate.com/2015/02/12/3985310/5-year-plan-for-columbia-police.html

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

Columbia is getting a look at what could be the future of Finlay Park. It's a crown jewel of the city architects say is falling apart. This is a first look at what a new and improved Finlay Park could look like; a state of the art, modern, recreation and entertainment venue but there's one big obstacle, the cost.

The architect hired by the city says when Finlay was originally built, corners were cut. That's why his plan is more than rehabilitation, its reconstruction. The plan comes with a price for taxpayers, a $19.5 million price tag.

Councilman Cameron Runyan is aware of the all the problems: deterioration; safety issues and code violations; and overwhelmingly a lack of compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

http://www.wistv.com/story/28108627/renovations-coming-to-finlay-park-but-it-comes-at-a-cost

I apologize if someone has already answered this, but who knows what is going into the space at the corner of Gervais and Pulaski, which was once Carolina Wings? On a similar note, I noticed today work is being done at the corner of Gervais and Park for the arrival of a Panera Bread.

Update

Proposed/planned:
Moe Levy's building
Kline Property (4-6 stories)
Main Flatts (5 stories)
apartment building surrounding McD's in the Vista (4 stories)
Aloft Hotel at Lincoln & Lady St. (5 stories)start time expected spring early summer
Student housing at Gervais and Harden(4-6 stories)

Approved/close to construction:
phase 2 of USC's development around Blossom (6-7 stories)
Student Housing tower on Assembly (12-15 stories)
Parking Garage on Blossom (5 stories)
Finish Assembly Street Improvements
Huger Street Improvements
Greene Street Bridge over RR tracks/reno of Greene Street
William Street Continuation
Coliseum Reno
Nursing Care Center, 2200 Harden St
Palmetto Compress
USC Soccer Complex

Under Construction/Topped Out/Almost complete:
Agfisrt Reno
City Market redevelopment
Clarion Reno/constuction (6 stories)
620 Blossom(student housing) (4-5 stories)
710/724 Pulaski(student housing) (4-5 stories)
USC Alumni Center(3 stories)
Olympia Apartments (3-4 stories)
Phase 1 and 3 of USC's development on Blossom(6-7 stories)
Addition to a restaurant on Lady Street
USC Law Center
Hyatt hotel (6 stories)
USC indoor/outdoor practice field
Former USC indoor practice field Reno
500 Blossom(student housing) (4 stories)
520 Pendleton(student housing) (2-3 stories)
Williams Brice Plaza
Columbia Common (Nothing taller then steeple on Babcock building)
Carolina Wings reno

Recently Completed:
Adluh Flour Reno

A couple of new businesses are soon to open in the Vista. "Jonez" is opening in April, and appears to be an R and B/soul music place. The other, as had previously been announced is "Twin Peaks", which apparently is a glorified Hooters. I'm not sure I'm too excited about the direction in which some of the Vista's development is headed, but I'm hoping both places will surprise me in a good way. 

• Like 1

A couple of new businesses are soon to open in the Vista. "Jonez" is opening in April, and appears to be an R and B/soul music place. The other, as had previously been announced is "Twin Peaks", which apparently is a glorified Hooters. I'm not sure I'm too excited about the direction in which some of the Vista's development is headed, but I'm hoping both places will surprise me in a good way. 

have any links to this?

I apologize if someone has already answered this, but who knows what is going into the space at the corner of Gervais and Pulaski, which was once Carolina Wings? On a similar note, I noticed today work is being done at the corner of Gervais and Park for the arrival of a Panera Bread.

That's the twin peaks: http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/locations/ 

I've never been to a twin peaks, but they seem to be an ok fit for the Vista. I've driven by the one in Buckhead in Atlanta, and seems to be a good fit there. 

SCANA is putting the land it owns next to the Kline site up for sale--the same land where four years ago, its principal subsidiary SCE&G was planning on building a customer service center with five drive-thrus which never happened. 

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/53875-sce-amp-g-gets-ok-to-sell-huger-street-property?rss=0

SCANA is putting the land it owns next to the Kline site up for sale--the same land where four years ago, its principal subsidiary SCE&G was planning on building a customer service center with five drive-thrus which never happened. 

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/53875-sce-amp-g-gets-ok-to-sell-huger-street-property?rss=0

sweet I can see this being a major player in downtown. I would love to see something like a condo mini-mall hotel complex into one building at the corner. something like 5-8 stories tall. or something Epicentre Style like in Charlotte

Edited by growingup15

Speaking of the Kline site, have any new renderings been released? A few years ago, there were some good ones for what was being proposed at that time. All I'm aware of now is the preliminary sketch showing where the hotel will sit, office, apartments, etc. Also, how about some renderings for the apartments/condos slated for the area behind McD's directly across the street?  

Edited by colasc

Yeah everything has been quiet with those two sites. I doubt the SCANA property will develop until the Kline site is at least under construction, but it's great that it's open. I wonder if the same company developing Kline is interested in using it as a phase two?

^That would be good. Or combining both sites and building an attraction like an aquarium--I know it won't happen but it would be cool if it did.