Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

^That would be good. Or combining both sites and building an attraction like an aquarium--I know it won't happen but it would be cool if it did.

Another full-block attraction that generates negligible foot-traffic would be a move in the wrong direction, as well as a sizable monetary gamble. Columbia is swimming in giant, empty buildings, but years behind the curve in terms of areas that can generate sustained energy. If the market is right, the block could communicate directly with the Vista and has the potential to expand the contiguous city straight to the river. Another attraction would be an impediment to that, and instead the activated parts of the city would be moved further away the river while big seasonal lots take up the entire area

Edited by Spes

Another full-block attraction that generates negligible foot-traffic would be a move in the wrong direction, as well as a sizable monetary gamble. Columbia is swimming in giant, empty buildings, but years behind the curve in terms of areas that can generate sustained energy. If the market is right, the block could communicate directly with the Vista and has the potential to expand the contiguous city straight to the river. Another attraction would be an impediment to that, and instead the activated parts of the city would be moved further away the river while big seasonal lots take up the entire area

"swimming in giant, empty buildings" (?) Can you elaborate, please? Give examples?

"swimming in giant, empty buildings" (?) Can you elaborate, please? Give examples?

As should be clear from the context, by "empty" I mean buildings that do not have an active, daily purpose. E.g. the Columbia Metro Convention Center, the Koger Center, the Carolina Coliseum, the Colonial Life Arena, the SC Bar Convention Center, and soon the USC Alumni Center. Each of those event centers doesn't draw activity on a daily basis. Moreover, EdVenture and the SC State Museum don't exactly create the kind of traffic that spills over into the activity of the area. 

It should be noted that this isn't prescriptive, in that these are all nice buildings that serve a purpose (save for the Coliseum). However, jamming another giant attraction into that spot would only take up valuable space near the river without bringing daily, sustained crowds that would make the area a permanent part of the city's fabric. I think with proper planning and economic luck those lots could be a major extension of the Vista that would make it a pretty good area. For chrissake, it's downtown land in a major metropolitan city a stone's throw from the water. Not to mention that any other attraction would be a bigger gamble on a single use likely involving taxpayer money rather than just opening the area to private development. 

I didn't mean another museum or any other subsidized attraction. I was thinking something recreational like a Lucky Strike (bowling with a cool bar/lounge), a movie theater with a bar/restaurant, or something else that would draw a wide cross section of people. Of course it would be couple with shops and restaurants given the size of the lot.

Edited by carolinagarnet

I'm not necessarily talking about a subsidized attraction, and it's not exactly uncommon to locate an aquarium near a river; as a matter of fact, Chattanooga's aquarium has played a very central role in its riverfront revitalization and its downtown is often held up as a model in that regard. In terms of how an aquarium on that site relates to the rest of downtown, much of that would depend on the design of the building. If it's well-designed, it would be a valuable asset, and it should also be kept in mind that the Innovista plan includes opening up the riverfront to be connected with the rest of downtown. But again, it's a pipe dream.

Renderings of the soon to be built Aloft hotel on Lady St, have been released, and are being reviewed by the city. I'm not crazy about what I see, but even without any architectural tweaks, it will be better to have than not.

Renderings of the soon to be built Aloft hotel on Lady St, have been released, and are being reviewed by the city. I'm not crazy about what I see, but even without any architectural tweaks, it will be better to have than not.

are there any online to see now?

Construction of the Vista’s first boutique hotel, a 108-room, $18 to $20 million project, is to start in April, the owner said after Columbia’s design commission approved the plan Thursday.

The Design Development Review Commission voted unanimously in favor of an Aloft Hotel at Lady and Lincoln streets, but left some design details to city staffers to work out with the hotel company.

I emailed some thoughts to the director of planning with the City and she sent me an updated rendering with the following note.

(There are) some conditions on the approval. Here is a revised image they submitted at the meeting, which gives a bit better understanding of how lighting will brighten the corner. Also, the darker material is aluminum so, while dark, it will have a reflective quality to it.

post-3545-0-43560400-1426277070_thumb.jp

I emailed some thoughts to the director of planning with the City and she sent me an updated rendering with the following note.

(There are) some conditions on the approval. Here is a revised image they submitted at the meeting, which gives a bit better understanding of how lighting will brighten the corner. Also, the darker material is aluminum so, while dark, it will have a reflective quality to it.

Is that Krista Hampton? If so, she is great! She is very sharp, and believe me, understands new urbanism, and the importance of preserving the past. If she gives a project a thumbs up, I will endorse it without question.  

It's interesting that people in the area are complaining about losing their Capitol views. There's probably not much recourse since the area is zoned for that density and height. 

yeah its like the city itself is much greater than the stupid statehouse. i expected some taller buildings to pop up there because of the density of The Vista now. whats going to happen when a same size condo goes up next to theirs view of the statehouse. what they are going to complain and leave?

Honestly I think they should Have buildings get taller the closer they get to the river. and have the riverfront lined with tall mid rises and high rise buildings. kinda like a Beach front.

Newk's Eatery, Grill Marks, a coffee/wine shop and a microbrewery (along with apartments) will all fill the old City Market on Gervais. It should all be finished within the year.

I read a story on the state today called The Next New Columbia. and this is really exciting. http://www.thestate.com/2015/03/14/4046896/the-next-new-columbia-as-activity.html#wgt=rcntnews

its not bad, good for something quick.

I doubt it will happen because Grill Marks is coming but The Cowfish in Charlotte would be great for the Vista.  It would be a lot better than Grill Marks.

Well, maybe we will get one. Columbia Commons is supposed to have leases signed with a slew of restaurants and other retail, which are unrepresented in Cola, and in many instances, anywhere else in SC. The Vista has been getting a lot of chains, but I'd love to see a few more unique, local shops. Apparently the rent is so high, only the established chains can afford to locate there.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a report today, that a new landowner in the Vista is seeking rezoning to allow for apartments and mixed use at Lady and Park. That is a great parcel, and would be close to the new Aloft, and all the other great stuff popping in the Vista. I feel sure he will get his wish, as right now, it is only surface parking.

75ft on new construction is what, 5 stories? He would still be bound by the Vista design overlay, but building 6 or 7 stories (especially given the step up on the Hyatt) would provide a nice increase in density.

This change would make it to where there is no building height restrictions. Edited by SouthernBorn

This change would make it to where there is no building height restrictions.

The site’s current M-1 light industrial zoning with a design development overlay already allows for residential use but has a 75-foot height restriction. A change to C-4 central area commercial zoning with a design development overlay would remove the building height limit.

Many of the neighboring properties in the Vista and Main Street are also zoned C-4 or C-5 with no height restrictions.

My understanding is that even though there are no official height restrictions, the Vista design development overlay would prevent them from building something out of character for the district. We're not going to see a 15 story building here.

75ft on new construction is what, 5 stories? He would still be bound by the Vista design overlay, but building 6 or 7 stories (especially given the step up on the Hyatt) would provide a nice increase in density.

I think an apartment there would be nice but I think 10 stories would be a good step up since its closer proximity to The Downtown Business District Skyline. I think 10 or more stories would be nice there. a mixed used Stores below with a garage above and then apartments above that

Who knows what microbrewery will be locating in the mixed use development that is the old city market antique mall, on Gervais? So far we know the names of two restaurants, and that there will be a wine/coffee shop, as well as apartments.