Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

The city's design board rejected a request from Twin Peaks to add neon lighting to its exterior. I am so glad they did, and was really disappointed when I learned Twin Peaks was going in that prominent space, in one of the gateways to the Vista. However, I have learned over the years to reserve judgment, so I will hope it pleasantly surprises me. I just don't think the Vista needs any more wing joints/sports bars..that market is saturated.

Any renderings yet for the Kline site development or the apartments across Gervais from it?   

• Like 1

The city's design board rejected a request from Twin Peaks to add neon lighting to its exterior. I am so glad they did, and was really disappointed when I learned Twin Peaks was going in that prominent space, in one of the gateways to the Vista. However, I have learned over the years to reserve judgment, so I will hope it pleasantly surprises me. I just don't think the Vista needs any more wing joints/sports bars..that market is saturated.

Any renderings yet for the Kline site development or the apartments across Gervais from it?   

Aw no neons. oh well.

and No renderings yet on the Kline Site yet. not that I know of.

A couple of new restaurants will be opening in the Vista soon, to include South Carolina's first "Tin Lizzy's Cantina". It is based in Atlanta where it has several locations, and will probably do well here. It, and a French themed "City Bar and Fondue" will be occupying space in the constantly changing 700-800 block of Gervais (where Tsunami, and the piano bar currently reside). I don't spend much time (well none, really) over there, but they are sprucing things up, and giving it a new name in hopes to draw more foot traffic to that area. The new hotels are spawning new restaurants/bars, or is it the other way around?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a resident of the Vista, I find most of the current and proposed development exciting. However, I am becoming increasingly concerned as developers have routinely managed to skirt existing planning guidelines that limit the height of new structures.

The most recent proposal is a rezoning request for a parcel at the corner of Park and Lady Streets. The developer seeks a designation that will remove all restrictions on building height. This plot is surrounded on all four sides by older one- and two-story buildings, with two sides of the parcel adjacent to the West Gervais Historic District.

http://www.free-times.com/news/preserve-the-character-of-the-vista-051315 

My opinion. we need to start going up. just look at Charlotte. they have a good mix of old looks ground level with Modern and ultra modern design atop. I think a tower at that corner will be amazing and will definately fill in more of Downtown and finally get rid of that Parking crater at that corner. I believe in the long run it will expand the vista out to become more of a place for the historical stuff on Gervais St but more Higher structures  on lady st and washington St in the near future. 

I really seeing the vista fusing with Main st and making Downtown Columbia into a massive entertainment work play live place just like in charlotte.

Anyone here agrees?

I used to live in Charlotte and I'll say that the city did a terrible job of maintaining historical structures. While it has started to improve, Uptown often feels very sanitary due to all of the superblocks without much ground-level presence. There are a few exceptions on Tryon, but in general there is not much in the way of retail. 300 South Tryon, Tryon Place, and a few other new buildings are trying to address the shortage.

Philadelphia is a great example of what a city looks like when it allows large buildings to envelop the State House. I would rather the city concentrate high rises on Main Street, north and south of the State House, and leave Gervais lower rise. Columbia might never have a lot of high rise density, but it can have a longer skyline. Considering that most people enter the city from 126 or US-1, this makes for a more impressive entry into Columbia anyway.

The other issue with having too much height is that the retail begins to feel overwhelmed by all of the development overhead. Consider shopping in Washington vs. shopping in New York. Washington has a height cap and fairly wide streets, both of which make retail feel more inviting. New York has a lot of skyscraper canyons that create windtunnels and make retail feel daunting. New York doesn't have a problem keeping these stores and restaurants open because of its insane population, but Columbia will never develop that level of density. I think it's best for the character of the neighborhood to keep buildings above, say 6 or 7 stores, on or near Main Street.

• Like 1

Here i drew an idea of how a 12-15 story tower would look at this corner. and I believe it will definately fill in this area and the skyline but wouldnt be too tall considering theres a 10 story hotel not far away and a possible 12 Story Dorm right across the street from the Hilton. i believe with the proper designing with old and new put together to give it that old historical look on the bottom 5 floors would make a big difference.

also you cant see it but i drew a garage on the Assembly/Gervais corner. I think a garage  with 2 floor of retail on the bottom levels of this corner would fit in also. it will bring more parking in the vista for new residents and visitors.

17025458893_0e05f236d5_b.jpg

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

When you drive through Columbia's Vista, you've likely noticed a lot of construction. Throughout the last 15 years the entertainment district has continued to expand.

From shops to restaurants and new places to live, the Vista continues its transformation.

Fred Delk with the Columbia Development Corporation says the growth in the Vista isn't slowing down. Right now, he says about one billion dollars worth development is being done and more projects are on the way.

More recently, Delk says the biggest developments that were added include the Darla Moore School of Business and renovations to the South Carolina State Museum. But Delk says the next major projects include residential spaces.

Delk says like other major cities, Columbia is building more options for residents to consider downtown living. With more people moving to the Vista he says it's ultimately helping local businesses and restaurants thrive. 

http://www.wistv.com/story/29099443/parking-not-keeping-up-with-vista-growth

Wheeler Development has begun pre-construction and design work on the historic Vista fire station, which developers have long hoped to repurpose for retail use.

Jeff Prioreschi of Capitol Places, which first purchased the property in 2008 for $1.45 million, said in March that a buyer had signed a contract to purchase the property. He declined to name the company at that time, and could not be reached for comment on this story.

“I would say it would happen,” he said in March. “If not, we will pursue and develop the property. But we do feel pretty confident it will move forward.”

The Virginia Beach, Va.-based Wheeler Development, which has a regional office in Charleston, has partnered withColliers International to find tenants for the property. The redevelopment will have up to 35,000 square feet available for users, according to Colliers, which has launched a leasing campaign to find restaurant, retail and office users for the property

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54538-wheeler-development-colliers-team-up-to-redevelop-historic-vista-fire-station

• Like 1

As a resident of the Vista, I find most of the current and proposed development exciting. However, I am becoming increasingly concerned as developers have routinely managed to skirt existing planning guidelines that limit the height of new structures.

The most recent proposal is a rezoning request for a parcel at the corner of Park and Lady Streets. The developer seeks a designation that will remove all restrictions on building height. This plot is surrounded on all four sides by older one- and two-story buildings, with two sides of the parcel adjacent to the West Gervais Historic District.

http://www.free-times.com/news/preserve-the-character-of-the-vista-051315 

My opinion. we need to start going up. just look at Charlotte. they have a good mix of old looks ground level with Modern and ultra modern design atop. I think a tower at that corner will be amazing and will definately fill in more of Downtown and finally get rid of that Parking crater at that corner. I believe in the long run it will expand the vista out to become more of a place for the historical stuff on Gervais St but more Higher structures  on lady st and washington St in the near future. 

I really seeing the vista fusing with Main st and making Downtown Columbia into a massive entertainment work play live place just like in charlotte.

Anyone here agrees?

As a resident of Charlotte, I find most of our development to be lackluster and not something to emulate. Yes we have tall buildings and an insane amount of development (in terms of sheer volume) but so much of it is low quality that we won't be a better city from an urban development perspective. Charlotte sold its soul to development long ago, and we've lost most of our history because of it. I sincerely hope that Columbia and other cities can learn to grow without copying Charlotte.

Hyatt Place is open for business.

DAC97558-DB28-42E1-821E-401B59076C43_zps

5D7F2408-86DB-4BAF-B9E5-C5507EE3BA41_zps[

I'm really digging the street presence on this building. Kudos to Columbia for getting an pedestrian entrance and plaza area along the side.

I remember reading the Aloft Hotel would break ground before the end of April, and here we are in June. Has anyone heard anymore on this project? This will be another great addition to the Vista, adding more density, and pedestrian activity to its sidewalks.

I remember reading the Aloft Hotel would break ground before the end of April, and here we are in June. Has anyone heard anymore on this project? This will be another great addition to the Vista, adding more density, and pedestrian activity to its sidewalks.

I heard nothing yet. You don't think Aloft may have changed their minds?

I heard nothing yet. You don't think Aloft may have changed their minds?

I hope not. I suspect the architectural design folks may have had to ask they send their idea back to the drawing board. However, I don't think that will hurt the deal. Everyone wants to see it happen. It just needs to conform to some degree with the family of buildings which will surround it.

Aloft is still coming I've heard mid-summer to late summer for breaking ground.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who noticed a fence around where the Aloft Hotel is supposed to be built. I think they are about to break ground soon. Also I noticed a sold sign and fence around the area where the 12 story student dorm is supposed to be built. anyone know anything about that.

I believe Aloft did officially break ground yesterday or the day before. I'm not sure when the 12 story student housing building will get going, but hopefully soon. I went to Paul McCartney last night, and that whole area around the CLA is going to be a fantastic gathering spot once work is completed on the square.

• 2 weeks later...

The Vista McDonald's is undergoing some interior remodeling, according to the Columbia Star. I drove past it the other day and got a little excited thinking it was work on the apartments/condos expected to be built behind/near it. Unfortunately, I've heard NOTHING more about the project since its initial announcement. Is it still a go? Renderings anyone?

On a more positive note, the Star also reports my favorite NY style pizza joint, Village Idiot, has opened its 3rd Cola location in Olympia! Love that pizza, and know it will do well there.   

• Like 1

The Vista McDonald's is undergoing some interior remodeling, according to the Columbia Star. I drove past it the other day and got a little excited thinking it was work on the apartments/condos expected to be built behind/near it. Unfortunately, I've heard NOTHING more about the project since its initial announcement. Is it still a go? Renderings anyone?

On a more positive note, the Star also reports my favorite NY style pizza joint, Village Idiot, has opened its 3rd Cola location in Olympia! Love that pizza, and know it will do well there.   

As far as I know the apartment project is still a go.