Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

I'll double check. I might have said the wrong lot so my apologies if that's the case. But yes, target and apple are coming to downtown and as of right now everything is on go. They gave some pretty enticing prospects for apple specifically. And the project I'm talking about has been fighting the city on some really stupid stuff.

The only other projects that meet that description are Kline and The Edge (next to Richland Public Library), though I do not think the latter has much in the way of retail space. 

Oops, I misunderstood. It's the lot across the street although Park 7 does use that trailer I mentioned. And yes, target and apple are both promissory noted and have until feb 1 to back out. I'm certain now lol. Sorry guys, I should have gotten specifics before posting.

But either way, COLUMBIA IS GETTING AN APPLE STORE!!! Right in downtown too instead of a suburb.

7 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Oops, I misunderstood. It's the lot across the street although Park 7 does use that trailer I mentioned. And yes, target and apple are both promissory noted and have until feb 1 to back out. I'm certain now lol. Sorry guys, I should have gotten specifics before posting.

But either way, COLUMBIA IS GETTING AN APPLE STORE!!! Right in downtown too instead of a suburb.

Will we have a shadow study part 2 or will USC and the City encourage growth. Stay tuned! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Wait so just so I understand, have Apple and Target signed a promissory note for the University SC Tower at Pendleton and Assembly? There is a retail component at the bottom of the hill on Park Street, but as another poster said, it seems small for an urban Target. Or is USC developing the lot across Pendleton, adjacent to the School of Public Health?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Midtown+-+Downtown,+Columbia,+SC+29201/@33.9962477,-81.0355134,204a,20y,41.69t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88f8bb2981c60823:0x84e69726cf06d274!8m2!3d33.9979745!4d-81.0339012!6m1!1e1

Nothing groundbreaking, but it's nice to hear that the addition of 2,000 residents in or near the Vista has helped boost confidence in the district. I think at this point all of the apartment complexes between Huger and the train tracks have been built, so the only outstanding project is Kline (assuming that the complex behind the McDonalds and the development at Senate and Assembly have been shelved). Based on the other thread, it sounds like the University SC Tower may be back on track too. 

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/hospitality-and-tourism/70311/

@carolinagarnet It's on the same block as the music farm so that google maps image is the right lot. I'm not sure how they'll fit it in because I haven't seen plans. I think they're planning on dedicating the entire first floor of the parking garage to parking for Apple specifically.

Apple stores only average 6-8k per store. The target express is 14-25k or so. I think that's feasible on a lot this size with proper planning. 

Edited by Nick2

30 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

@carolinagarnet It's on the same block as the music farm so that google maps image is the right lot. I'm not sure how they'll fit it in because I haven't seen plans. I think they're planning on dedicating the entire first floor of the parking garage to parking for Apple specifically.

Apple stores only average 6-8k per store. The target express is 20k or so. I think that's feasible on a lot this size with proper planning. 

It's definitely feasible, just a big departure from the most recently approved plans which only consisted of less than 3K in retail. Adding retail of that size (At least 25K additional retail) would result in a sizable change in plans. They would have to replace a significant amount of residential units on the lower floors with a big retail space instead which would change the overall look/layout of the building. Wouldn't the developers have to resubmit new plans for approval at that point?

I have seen a few newer housing developments similar to this one with Target as the ground floor tenant and could totally see that happening here if they reworked the building plans, but Bob Hughes and the city have been courting Apple to Bull Street for years so it's still surprising to me that Apple would go with a student housing building on the edge of the Vista over anchoring a more retail-centric development at Bull Street. Not saying it won't happen, just seems odd/surprising.

Edited by JustSayinJG

I'm fairly sure plans have changed from their previous submittal. Also as far as them coming to the vista/downtown instead of bullstreet. Two major things- The vista is becoming known as a high end shopping destination. Also more majorly: USC students. I guarantee USC students will use the store almost as often as the rest of the actual city combined and will also very much so buy from there. 

They may have made more sense in bull street but that's not where they're going as of right now. They did court apple specifically for bull street but the city wasn't able to offer quite the same amount of incentives as compared to the private developer and the city (I'm not positive about the city giving them incentives for the assembly street store so don't quote me on that haha).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I'm fairly sure plans have changed from their previous submittal. Also as far as them coming to the vista/downtown instead of bullstreet. Two major things- The vista is becoming known as a high end shopping destination. Also more majorly: USC students. I guarantee USC students will use the store almost as often as the rest of the actual city combined and will also very much so buy from there. 

They may have made more sense in bull street but that's not where they're going as of right now. They did court apple specifically for bull street but the city wasn't able to offer quite the same amount of incentives as compared to the private developer and the city (I'm not positive about the city giving them incentives for the assembly street store so don't quote me on that haha).

Sorry to keep questioning you. I know you're only here trying to spread good news, and I'm happy to hear it. I'm just trying to understand... How is the Vista building such a reputation as a "high end shopping destination"? I get that it's a growing entertainment district with great restaurants, bars, galleries, spas, and salons, but where is this reputation for high end shopping coming from? The Vista has a relatively small Urban Outfitters to go along with a number of small boutique shops..... and? What am I missing? There are currently no other national retailers (other than an always-empty AT&T distributer) and only a handful of the boutiques would qualify as high-end.

The Commons at Bull Street, on the other hand, promises to be a true high end shopping destination. Bull Street is just over a mile away from USC's campus (even closer than that to Benedict & Allen) and an Apple Store in Bull Street would attract just as many student shoppers, if not more, than an Apple Store on the ground floor of a student housing development at Assembly/Pendleton.

I know you don't have all the answers and are only reporting what information you have. It's just a very curious move for Apple to make if it's true. Idk what kind of incentives Park 7 is offering that Hughes cannot, but they must be significant!

I'm pretty sure it's because of the potential the area has. The university plans on growing in that direction and the vista/innovista will only continue to grow. I know a lot of people already go to the vista for shopping for unique items from those boutiques especially visitors from out of town. Having it prominently on one of the busiest roads in columbia is better visibility and also the students can easily walk to that location from campus as compared to bull street which would be difficult for most students to walk to. 

Aloft is getting a Mexican restaurant! Salud Mexican Kitchen in Camden is building a tapas style restaurant, set to open in December or January. I believe someone mentioned a Mexican restaurant looking at the Palmetto Compress. If that comes to fruition, the Vista will be well saturated with Mexican food.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/shop-around/article97345742.html

17 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Aloft is getting a Mexican restaurant! Salud Mexican Kitchen in Camden is building a tapas style restaurant, set to open in December or January. I believe someone mentioned a Mexican restaurant looking at the Palmetto Compress. If that comes to fruition, the Vista will be well saturated with Mexican food.

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/shop-around/article97345742.html

I've tried Salud, and it's good. However, I'm starting to believe we don't need any more Mexican restaurants in this town. It would be cool to have some lesser represented cuisines.  

• Like 2

So I've got a good contact in the columbia development area now in private development and for university development as well. I'm going to try to be more active on this forum in the future.

I hope y'all can accept a new person. lol

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2

On 8/24/2016 at 7:30 AM, victory said:

I've tried Salud, and it's good. However, I'm starting to believe we don't need any more Mexican restaurants in this town. It would be cool to have some lesser represented cuisines.  

I completely agree even as a huge mexican food lover. You also gotta wonder if any of these taco spots are going to start running each other out of business since this will put salud, chipotle, tin lizzys, sure fire, barbaritos, cantina 76, moe's, monterrey's, tio's (others?) all more or less within walking distance of each other.

Does anyone have an actual source on the apple plans? It would be huge to get something no matter what, but building under what is essentially a dorm seems like an odd choice for them even though it hits an ideal demographic. It would be very interesting to see what kind of non-USC draw an apple store could bring in being the first of the new campus-foot-traffic driven retail spots to have big time consumer appeal for non-students.

looks like mr Tomlin bought that land next to McDonalds on Huger St. I'm excited to see what he has planned. that same land was suppose to have an apartment complex there but it fell through years ago. i hope it's something to compliment Kline City center soon to be built.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/real-estate-commercial/70389/

looks like mr Tomlin bought that land next to McDonalds on Huger St. I'm excited to see what he has planned. that same land was suppose to have an apartment complex there but it fell through years ago. i hope it's something to compliment Kline City center soon to be built.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/real-estate-commercial/70389/

That's not the apartment site. That's the lot in front of canal side that the 4 story storage facility was supposed to go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SouthernBorn said:

That's not the apartment site. That's the lot in front of canal side that the 4 story storage facility was supposed to go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That article seems to provide details about the 22 story apartment complex, which makes one think the plan hasn't been scrapped. I had heard the engineering revealed that it would be too much weight atop that parking garage, but this was only hearsay. I hope it actually happens, along with development atop the other parking garages of which he has air rights. 

• Like 1