Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

5 minutes ago, victory said:

Wow! That article seems to provide details about the 22 story apartment complex, which makes one think the plan hasn't been scrapped. I had heard the engineering revealed that it would be too much weight atop that parking garage, but this was only hearsay. I hope it actually happens, along with development atop the other parking garages of which he has air rights. 

My impression was that they added that piece in to provide some context. I wouldn't consider that an endorsement of the project's shovel readiness.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late on this... but I'm confused by the Apple Store location. If a City Target is really going to happen then that's great. But Apple generally locates its retail stores in 'hot' retail areas. You could convince me that Gervais St in The Vista fits that category, but Pendleton/Assembly just doesn't make sense. There's not any significant retail there at all (the drive thru banks, restaurants, and gas stations don't count). Maybe if they located on South Main as part of a larger effort to get more retail there? When will more information be released publicly? If this is true then it's definitely a huge win for Columbia.

• 4 weeks later...

The Columbia Visitor’s Center is looking for increased visibility and access to the general public than it currently enjoys in the Convention Center. Its staff would like to move from its present location to a site which is in the heart of the historic/commercial district and is therefore requesting to construct a very small contemporary building and seating area under the train depot, which runs the length of the block between Gervais and Senate Streets.

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20161013/1_visitors_center_oct2016_ddrc_doc.pdf

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

The Columbia Visitor’s Center is looking for increased visibility and access to the general public than it currently enjoys in the Convention Center. Its staff would like to move from its present location to a site which is in the heart of the historic/commercial district and is therefore requesting to construct a very small contemporary building and seating area under the train depot, which runs the length of the block between Gervais and Senate Streets.

http://www.columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20161013/1_visitors_center_oct2016_ddrc_doc.pdf

I love it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 9:20 PM, Nick2 said:

Oops, I misunderstood. It's the lot across the street although Park 7 does use that trailer I mentioned. And yes, target and apple are both promissory noted and have until feb 1 to back out. I'm certain now lol. Sorry guys, I should have gotten specifics before posting.

But either way, COLUMBIA IS GETTING AN APPLE STORE!!! Right in downtown too instead of a suburb.

Any new information on this project? I passed by the construction site during lunch today and noticed that there is finally some activity going on after months of no visible progress. A good bit of machinery is now on site along with a truckload of rebar and about a dozen workers moving massive amounts of dirt.

I figured this probably means they have settled the issues they were trying to work out with the city and the site design must be final with construction now underway. If so it would be interesting to see if it's going up as originally planned or if there is a new design that includes space for Apple/Target.

3 hours ago, JustSayinJG said:

Any new information on this project? I passed by the construction site during lunch today and noticed that there is finally some activity going on after months of no visible progress. A good bit of machinery is now on site along with a truckload of rebar and about a dozen workers moving massive amounts of dirt.

I figured this probably means they have settled the issues they were trying to work out with the city and the site design must be final with construction now underway. If so it would be interesting to see if it's going up as originally planned or if there is a new design that includes space for Apple/Target.

@carolinagarnet

It's 100% on go. Apple and target are still on board. They're aiming for fall semester 2018 for first leases.

USC has actually wanted to put students from on campus housing into both this new complex (going to be called Empire) and also into Park Place (they're both owned by park 7). Because USC will be tearing down bates, bates west, and the cliff apartments in favor of new construction which will be very similar to the 650 lincoln developments. I'm not sure if they'll be a public-private partnership for those new dorms though.

I don't know at what point they are in those negotiations with USC but I'm fairly sure it's basically in ink now.

But the fall out was with the city not USC if I remember correctly. Columbia is one of the worst cities in the country to work with for getting approvals. They won't even let them have enough parking space for their residents in their garage which is amplified since they committed an entire level of it for retail parking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

USC has actually wanted to put students from on campus housing into both this new complex (going to be called Empire) and also into Park Place (they're both owned by park 7). Because USC will be tearing down bates, bates west, and the cliff apartments in favor of new construction which will be very similar to the 650 lincoln developments. I'm not sure if they'll be a public-private partnership for those new dorms though.

I don't know at what point they are in those negotiations with USC but I'm fairly sure it's basically in ink now.

But the fall out was with the city not USC if I remember correctly. Columbia is one of the worst cities in the country to work with for getting approvals. They won't even let them have enough parking space for their residents in their garage which is amplified since they committed an entire level of it for retail parking.

I don't think there's any financial arrangement between USC and Park 7 on this property, but the school absolutely wants students closer to campus (as opposed to in farflung communities like Copper Beach and The Retreat). There was a story a couple weeks ago about how USC is renting a ton of space in one of the complexes near Huger and Blossom. That apartment building may be owned by Park 7- I don't recall. I really hope Dick Harpootlian doesn't delay the reconstruction of South Campus. He runs the neighborhood organization and has been a thorn in USC's side thanks to complaints about higher traffic and parking issues. 

@carolinagarnet You might be right about this new property. I just remember hearing that USC has signed off to fill almost all of them both for 3-4 years. Between cliff, bates, and bates west there are about 1000 students. I think that means they'll be split between these two properties. 

I have a terrible memory. I'll try to confirm. lol

On 10/27/2016 at 1:32 PM, Nick2 said:

@carolinagarnet You might be right about this new property. I just remember hearing that USC has signed off to fill almost all of them both for 3-4 years. Between cliff, bates, and bates west there are about 1000 students. I think that means they'll be split between these two properties. 

I have a terrible memory. I'll try to confirm. lol

I think this is what you are alluding to: http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article108338422.html

The South Campus Village is going to be phased over several years, meaning USC will only be out a couple hundred beds at any given time. The article about the new area in The State details the approach: http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article110942952.html

@carolinagarnet Well, there we go lol. I don't know why I was thinking that they were also going to be leasing space with the new building, too. 

These are the same people who wanted to build a new large complex beside cornell arms but got shot down by alumni and other USC people because it would put a shadow on part of the horseshoe for 2 hours a day for about a month in december. That would have been an amazing location.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

@carolinagarnet Well, there we go lol. I don't know why I was thinking that they were also going to be leasing space with the new building, too. 

These are the same people who wanted to build a new large complex beside cornell arms but got shot down by alumni and other USC people because it would put a shadow on part of the horseshoe for 2 hours a day for about a month in december. That would have been an amazing location.

Yeah I was disappointed by that whole campaign. That said, Sasaki, the firm that built the USC and Innovista master plans, was in town earlier this year to examine South Main. I think the thread of outside development prompted USC to finally look at how to redevelop the corridor between Pendleton and Blossom. It's long past due in my opinion given that Main Street is now solidly in the larger campus footprint.

• 2 weeks later...

City of Columbia officials will hear a developer’s concept to build mixed-used project with a grocery store and apartments on the former South Carolina Electric & Gas Co. bus storage facility on Huger Street.

The project includes a 30,000-square-foot grocery story with 177 residential units, according to documents filed with city planners. In addition, the concept includes 10,000 square feet of amenity and leasing space, a free-standing building of 12,500 square feet, and a combination of structured and surface parking.

The development would be built on about six acres of prime downtown Columbia property bounded by Huger, Hampton, Washington and Williams streets. It’s near the vacant Kline Iron & Steel Co. property that’s slated for a $100 million development project.

A proposal for a mixed-use project at the former SCE&G site on Huger Street includes a 30,000-square-foot grocery story with 177 residential units, according to documents filed with city planners. (Image/Provided)

A proposal for a mixed-use project at the former SCE&G site on Huger Street includes a 30,000-square-foot grocery story with 177 residential units, according to documents filed with city planners. (Image/Provided)

On 11/16/2016 at 7:02 PM, growingup15 said:

I saw some demolition people tearing down that 3 story building next to McDonald's on Gervais St.  Anyone knows that's going on down there? 

A couple of years ago, a developer was going to build apartments right around that McDonald's, but I heard it fell through. I work nearby, so I'll look for that tommorow.

A target and an apple store in that spot would be nice to see.  I wonder though are they gonna utilize that land across the street where the little trailer used to be.  Maybe a garage there with retail on the bottom.  Idk i saw some land being moved there awhile ago also i was wondering if it was being preped for development also. I would personally love to see that land filled also very soon to fill in that area completely. Definitely give it that full urban feel. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to wish everyone a very happy new year! Here's to hoping construction cranes and excavation machines will soon be all over town. I'm ready for the Klein Steel site to happen, as well as to see some real movement over at Columbia Commons. Stay safe, and I look forward to a much better 2017, as Columbia continues to evolve into the kind of city we all know it can be!

• Like 1