Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Why not make the most of the existing facilities and maximize their potential use?

I agree, the Vista is full of lots and decks now. There is no need for additional garages or lots. Greenville Drive stadium has NO on-site parking. Most visitors use a large surface lot three blocks away and ride the trolley. It works very well. Some park in some adjacent private lots and some park elsewhere and walk to the statdium, passing numerous retail spots in the process.

Are there going to be retail/restaurants located next to the Stadium? Sorry, I don't have all day to download that 8MB file.

I certainly hope that there are spots reserved for private development. Otherwise this will be primarily a 'drive -in and drive out' attraction. Just like the Koger Center. It is crucial that that does not happen, IMO.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Why not make the most of the existing facilities and maximize their potential use?

CMTR would have to devote a number of assets to shuttling people back and forth from the Colonial Center lots, and you know how people tend to 'swarm' to the stadium right before the game. I'll admit, I may be wrong on it, but I predict nasty letters about the parking situation within a week of the first game there.

I agree, the Vista is full of lots and decks now. There is no need for additional garages or lots. Greenville Drive stadium has NO on-site parking. Most visitors use a large surface lot three blocks away and ride the trolley. It works very well. Some park in some adjacent private lots and some park elsewhere and walk to the statdium, passing numerous retail spots in the process.

Are there going to be retail/restaurants located next to the Stadium? Sorry, I don't have all day to download that 8MB file.

I certainly hope that there are spots reserved for private development. Otherwise this will be primarily a 'drive -in and drive out' attraction. Just like the Koger Center. It is crucial that that does not happen, IMO.

According to the article, the revised plan calls for about 120 spaces on the stadium site that would be used primarily by VIP patrons, teams and game officials. University officials expect students to walk or bike from campus. Also, shuttles will pick up fans from nearby sites, including about 2,000 parking spaces at the Colonial Center. And the university is considering leasing parking lots at nearby businesses on game nights, said Russ McKinney, USC spokesman. In addition to the garage, the 4-acre site will include a mix of residential and commercial development, according to the plan. The plan also includes a commitment by the university to create a row of single-family homes on Catawba Street, where stadium parking would be prohibited. The homes would likely be sold to developers after the stadium is built.

I really wish this were a joint-use stadium.

CMTR would have to devote a number of assets to shuttling people back and forth from the Colonial Center lots, and you know how people tend to 'swarm' to the stadium right before the game. I'll admit, I may be wrong on it, but I predict nasty letters about the parking situation within a week of the first game there.

USC has the Carolina Shuttle, which is generally not running at full operation when games are going on.

Well, it appears as though USC's new baseball stadium has been given the green light. University officials received final city approval Tuesday to build a $24 million riverfront baseball stadium on a 29-acre tract bordered by the Congaree River and Blossom, Williams and Catawba streets.

Wonderful news!! And something new and beautiful for me to admire as I drive across the river everyday on the Blossom Street bridge . . . :w00t:

• 3 weeks later...

The Vista parking garage on the corner of Lincoln and Lady Streets is on track to begin construction this summer. The garage will include a four-story residential, retail or office building in front, along Lady St. A small tract of land must be acquired in order to move the garage north to make room for the building.

Vista Garage

276671524636.jpg

This is fantastic news, especially the mixed use building facing Lady St. This will definitely help fill in the corridor and increase pedestrian traffic. :yahoo:

Meanwhile, the condo-hotel plan for the Columbia Supply Co. site has fallen through. <_< I'm sure something new will be proposed in no time. That track of land is just too valuable.

Edited by BrasilnSC