Historic Congaree Vista Developments

CorgiMatt

1 hour ago, krazeeboi said:

The convention center expansion/hotels deal isn't going forward as initially proposed: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article259762730.html

Saw that. Extremely disappointed. In trying to find some silver lining, I am hopeful Arnold does have a meaningful "plan B", and that said plan B might involve development near the riverfront, as it looks like the riverfront is inching closer to becoming more accessible on the Cola side. When the Greene St Bridge and Williams St extensions are done, I think there will be a rush for developers to position themselves for condos/apartments, etc.  

• 1 month later...

A seven-story hotel under the Hilton brand has been proposed for Gervais Street in Columbia’s Vista. The 249-room hotel would be built on an L-shaped lot that surrounds the McDonald’s location at Gervais and Huger streets.

If approved, the project would break ground in early 2023 and take 18 months to complete, said Ashok Patel, CEO of developer Naman Hotels of Florence. The hotel would bear two brands: the upper-end Homewood Suites and Tru by Hilton, a mid-range brand. 

Vista Tru/Homewood Suites hotel

9 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

A seven-story hotel under the Hilton brand has been proposed for Gervais Street in Columbia’s Vista. The 249-room hotel would be built on an L-shaped lot that surrounds the McDonald’s location at Gervais and Huger streets.

If approved, the project would break ground in early 2023 and take 18 months to complete, said Ashok Patel, CEO of developer Naman Hotels of Florence. The hotel would bear two brands: the upper-end Homewood Suites and Tru by Hilton, a mid-range brand. 

sVista Tru/Homewood Suites hotel

This is interesting. I was actually driving around that area today. I took my dog for a walk on the river, then we drove over to see exactly where Williams St terminates, as I am interested in the planned extension of said street to make access to the proposed riverfront park better. The new traffic signal on Huger at Greene is operational, where Greene will also eventually be extended into the park. Where did you find this about this hotel project? I am happy to see the continuing density inching closer to the river, but damn these architects and engineers for the continuation of these boxy, cheap looking Anywhereville, USA designs. Looks cheap. I hope it gets altered some before being approved.  

On 5/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, victory said:

This is interesting. I was actually driving around that area today. I took my dog for a walk on the river, then we drove over to see exactly where Williams St terminates, as I am interested in the planned extension of said street to make access to the proposed riverfront park better. The new traffic signal on Huger at Greene is operational, where Greene will also eventually be extended into the park. Where did you find this about this hotel project? I am happy to see the continuing density inching closer to the river, but damn these architects and engineers for the continuation of these boxy, cheap looking Anywhereville, USA designs. Looks cheap. I hope it gets altered some before being approved.  

I agree. I expect the DDRC to require some architectural tweaks before approving this so that it doesn't look like a basic stock design. 

On 5/19/2022 at 9:59 AM, krazeeboi said:

I agree. I expect the DDRC to require some architectural tweaks before approving this so that it doesn't look like a basic stock design. 

Article in The State today, which I'm unable to view because of the paywall. Someone..possibly the McDonald's franchisee..is against it. Oh brother.. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A new six story hotel will be built at the corner of Hampton and Wayne Streets, which ironically enough, is right across the street from my office. I was not able to read the paywall protected story in The State today, so I am unsure of any other details. Perhaps someone could post them here. 

• 8 months later...

spacer.png

Hotelier and developer Ben Arnold will again pitch a $135 million four-star hotel and apartment project slated for Columbia’s Vista entertainment district, marking a scaled down version of his earlier $511 million plan to build three high-end hotels and a 675-space parking garage on the 12-acre site in the center of the entertainment district after state and local politicians pushed back on plans to expand the convention center and Richland County leaders balked at the cost of the parking garage.

This time around Arnold is asking the Richland County Council for a 15-year, 50 percent property tax abatement to offset the cost of the $25 million garage and sidewalk improvements.

The four-star, full-service Hyatt House and Hyatt Centric hotel would be a first for Columbia, as well as the city's largest hotel property which would also boast 10,000 square feet of rooftop restaurant, bar and meeting space with a retractable roof, as well as another restaurant on the ground floor.

According to Arnold, the apartments--called The Residence at Vista Depot--would be high-end, much like The Palms 135-unit apartment development he built at Main and Lady, and include a pool, yoga studio, fitness center, dog spa and rooftop space. Arnold had hoped to break ground in early 2024. Construction is estimated to take between 2 and 2½ years.

1 hour ago, krazeeboi said:

spacer.png

Hotelier and developer Ben Arnold will again pitch a $135 million four-star hotel and apartment project slated for Columbia’s Vista entertainment district, marking a scaled down version of his earlier $511 million plan to build three high-end hotels and a 675-space parking garage on the 12-acre site in the center of the entertainment district after state and local politicians pushed back on plans to expand the convention center and Richland County leaders balked at the cost of the parking garage.

This time around Arnold is asking the Richland County Council for a 15-year, 50 percent property tax abatement to offset the cost of the $25 million garage and sidewalk improvements.

The four-star, full-service Hyatt House and Hyatt Centric hotel would be a first for Columbia, as well as the city's largest hotel property which would also boast 10,000 square feet of rooftop restaurant, bar and meeting space with a retractable roof, as well as another restaurant on the ground floor.

According to Arnold, the apartments--called The Residence at Vista Depot--would be high-end, much like The Palms 135-unit apartment development he built at Main and Lady, and include a pool, yoga studio, fitness center, dog spa and rooftop space. Arnold had hoped to break ground in early 2024. Construction is estimated to take between 2 and 2½ years.

The original proposal was much grander in scale with three convention geared hotels in a cluster. This, much scaled down version, will have less impact, but I like the rendering, and believe it will be a nice addition to the Vista. 

28 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Aren't there height restrictions in the Vista? 

That's a very good question. I believe no building is permitted to obstruct views of the state house dome, however, I may have dreamed that. Austin, with all its towers does have such restrictions, and there are strict rules that multiple streets must have unobstructed views of their state house. The Vista is actually built on a slope. At the bottom is the river, and as you travel east on Gervais, you ascend slightly. This development is going to be at the corner of Gervais and Wayne Streets, just past the bridge over the railroad tracks. I work downtown, minutes away, and need to have a gander at the lot, and its elevation. 

The Richland County Council voted Tuesday to unanimously approve financial incentives for a $100 million housing development at the former SCANA bus storage site on Huger Street. Huger Flats, previously identified by the county as Project Wichita, will take up nearly 6 acres at 1409 Huger St. across from The Nine student apartment complex, at the gateway to downtown Columbia’s Vista. The apartment development plans to include sidewalks, a pocket park and a 643-space parking garage, according to county documents.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article277456063.html#storylink=cpy

64b5995973fd1.image.png?resize=1200,777

The owners of Hotel Trundle want to open another boutique hotel in the heart of Columbia’s Vista entertainment district.

The hoteliers plan to remodel the former Epes-Fitzgerald Paper Company on Gadsden Street into a 41-unit boutique property, according to an application filed with the city of Columbia. Plans include construction of a new lobby on the south side of the building and adding a rooftop patio to the two-story building.

On 7/21/2023 at 6:27 PM, krazeeboi said:

The Richland County Council voted Tuesday to unanimously approve financial incentives for a $100 million housing development at the former SCANA bus storage site on Huger Street. Huger Flats, previously identified by the county as Project Wichita, will take up nearly 6 acres at 1409 Huger St. across from The Nine student apartment complex, at the gateway to downtown Columbia’s Vista. The apartment development plans to include sidewalks, a pocket park and a 643-space parking garage, according to county documents.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article277456063.html#storylink=cpy

Can't wait to see renderings for this.

3 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I’m rather shocked that incentives had to be provided. I’d be curious as to what that money permitted the developers to do that they wouldn’t have done otherwise…?  

Columbia/Richland gives FILOTS to apartment/mixed use projects. There are several already in place. I agree that it is somewhat dubious if they are necessary to get these projects built.

16 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I’m rather shocked that incentives had to be provided. I’d be curious as to what that money permitted the developers to do that they wouldn’t have done otherwise…?  

There is a huge need for more and more student, off campus housing. Maybe that's the factor driving demand.

• 1 month later...

https://news.yahoo.com/another-250-apartments-proposed-columbia-153309698.html   In looking at the renderings, I struggle to find the "European and New Orleans' style architecture" the article mentions. The developer is from Ohio, and probably doesn't know what that even looks like, much less do they even have any real intent of doing that. It will be good for the continued density on Huger, which is one of the busiest arteries in town, and the gateway to downtown. However, I am withholding judgment until after September 24, to see what they actually roll out.

https://www.wltx.com/article/money/huger-250-housing-development-columbia-south-carolina-apartments/101-cc49bf12-1d7d-48f3-9328-db0c8c3e4af6 More on the proposed 250 new apartments on Huger, with emphasis on this not being more student housing, but geared to older professionals, who want to be able to walk to restaurants, shops, etc. 

I can only hope that this was not given tax incentives? Truly don’t know. 

As an out-of-towner, I’m not here to sh*t on Columbia’s new development. However, I have to question the design standards of the city (and Vision). There’s a long precedent of generic crap being built downtown (see most hotels in the Vista). 

You have a lot more to offer and a built-in visitor base that seems to be taken for granted. But, give a shock factor. Act like you deserve it (!!!). Leave them blown away. 

9 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

I can only hope that this was not given tax incentives? Truly don’t know. 

As an out-of-towner, I’m not here to sh*t on Columbia’s new development. However, I have to question the design standards of the city (and Vision). There’s a long precedent of generic crap being built downtown (see most hotels in the Vista). 

You have a lot more to offer and a built-in visitor base that seems to be taken for granted. But, give a shock factor. Act like you deserve it (!!!). Leave them blown away. 

Yes, I agree. My initial post on this lamented the renderings and the Ohio developer's statement they were going to make it look European and/or New Oreleans- like in its architectural style. That immediately raised a red flag. Would they be talking about something that looks like that Italianate looking development on 385 near downtown Greenville? The renderings are same old, same old, generic, boxy, lacking in interesting features. We have enough of that. Having said that, I am supportive of something in that spot, which is just an eyesore on one of Columbia's primary gateways to downtown.