A treat for Mega-Development Junkies

tamias6

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dubai has been intense in construction of its highrise buildings. But I don't think even the US can reach such greatness in developments like their's due to labor costs, time, economy, etc. Sometime I want to visit Dubai to see all of the new stuff they are building. It's pretty much a showcase for everything on the leading edge and near-impossible.

As a film maker, I'm so tempted to comment on the production of the video - - but I won't. I also won't bother to comment on development in Dubai - although I do wonder what will happen when all the oil money finally dries up and all these people need to find a new way to survive economically...

That being said, they do seem to have a very cool rail plan, follow the linky below:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9142

As a film maker, I'm so tempted to comment on the production of the video - - but I won't. I also won't bother to comment on development in Dubai - although I do wonder what will happen when all the oil money finally dries up and all these people need to find a new way to survive economically...

That being said, they do seem to have a very cool rail plan, follow the linky below:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9142

That's at least somewhat promising. The main drag in Dubai looks like a superhighway lined with isolated monotonous skyscrapers, with no true urban interaction. Considering that the poverty level in the Middle East and most of Asia is so high, I would imagine they're gambling on a lot of Western and European investors and condo buyers. Talk about the biggest real estate bubble in the history of our planet. I wonder what kind of stop gaps or checks and balances they have in place to make sure their financial system doesn't get overextended. :rofl: And I like how the beginning has a "visionary" quote from a the "Ruler of Dubai".

Isn't that the whole point of this? Build it all before the oil money runs out then become a tourism-based economy. Still, with a relatively small population, I'm going to bet that a lot of these projects start getting cancelled or scaled back. I just can't believe that there is that much demand for new construction there, or that the demand will be nearly so great once a lot of these developments hit the market and there's an oversupply of housing and office space in Dubai. Also, most of this development looks like Southfield on steroids. It makes me want to vomit.

-nb

Isn't that the whole point of this? Build it all before the oil money runs out then become a tourism-based economy. Still, with a relatively small population, I'm going to bet that a lot of these projects start getting cancelled or scaled back. I just can't believe that there is that much demand for new construction there, or that the demand will be nearly so great once a lot of these developments hit the market and there's an oversupply of housing and office space in Dubai. Also, most of this development looks like Southfield on steroids. It makes me want to vomit.

-nb

The buildings are certainly impressive, but I agree, I dont think it would be a nice place to go, outside of the ultra-luxurious buildings. I can't help but look at everything and think "boy, someone is giong to be screwed when that house of cards comes falling apart.

As I watched this vidclip, I kept asking myself" Where's the money coming from?" What's being done must total up somwhere way and gone north of a trillion dollars. Granted I'm blown away at the scale of these projects. But I draw two conclusions about these developments. One ethier the Dubuian King is one heck of a visionary or (two) he's an ego maniacal fool that's going to run his kingdom so far into the hole, nobody there will be able to afford the stone age. However, politics aside, these developments are incredible in grandure and scope.

this city will be a massive failure. it's a bad case of "i want everything big and NOW". could you imagine a city like houston or atlanta doing this (both have similar populations)? a city in the desert like this simply cannot sustain growth of this magnitude. do they have cool projects? sure. but cool things need to be done intelligently. it's like lighting your hand on fire. does it look cool at first? of course! but then after a while you realize that you hadn't really thought it out and you get burned. dubai is a beautiful city, i sure hope they don't go bust.

Archived