Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

OK, in an effort to consolidate things, I've decided to just make this thread and put all airport/NWA/FedEx/etc. news in here. It seems to work in the Nashville forum, and it should make things better in here. I'm tired of the whole MEM v. BNA fight...I personally don't think it's an issue until certain events come into play, but I digress...Here is the basic run down of destinations at MEM:

Northwest Airlines

Non-Stop domestic service from MEM to:

Alexandria, LA (Saab turboprop)

Atlanta, GA (DC-9, A319, A320)

Austin, TX (CRJ)

Birmingham, AL (CRJ, DC-9)

Nashville, TN (DC-9, A319)

Boston, MA (CRJ)

Baton Rouge, LA (DC-9)

Baltimore, MD (CRJ, DC-9, A319)

Columbia, SC (CRJ)

Chattanooga, TN (Saab turboprop, CRJ)

Charleston, SC (CRJ)

Cleveland, OH (CRJ)

Charlotte, NC (CRJ)

Columbus, OH (CRJ, DC-9)

Cincinnati, OH (A319, A320)

Washington D.C.-Reagan (A320)

Denver, CO (CRJ)

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (CRJ, A319)

Des Moines, IA (CRJ)

Detroit, MI (CRJ, DC-9, A319, A320, 757)

Evansville, IN (Saab turboprop, CRJ)

Newark, NJ (DC-9, A319, A320)

Fort Lauderdale, FL (A320)

Fort Smith, AR (Saab turboprop, CRJ)

Greenville, MS (Saab turboprop)

Gulfport, MS (CRJ, DC-9)

Grand Rapids, MI (DC-9)

Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, NC (CRJ)

Greenville/Spartanburgh, SC (CRJ)

Huntsville, AL (CRJ)

Washington DC-Dulles (DC-9, A319)

Houston, TX (CRJ, DC-9, A319, A320)

Wichita, KS (CRJ)

Indianapolis, IN (CRJ, DC-9, A319)

Jackson, MS (CRJ)

Jacksonville, FL (CRJ)

Las Vegas, NV (A319)

Los Angeles, CA (A319, A320)

Lexington, KY (Saab turboprop)

Lafayette, LA (Saab turboprop)

New York, NY-LaGuardia (DC-9, A319)

Little Rock, AR (DC-9, A319)

Kansas City (DC-9)

Orlando, FL (A319, A320)

Montgomery, AL (CRJ)

Miami, FL (A319)

Milwaukee, WI (DC-9, A319, A320)

Moline, IL (CRJ)

Monroe, LA (Saab turboprop)

Mobile, AL (CRJ)

Muscle Shoals, AL (Saab turboprop)

Madison, WI (CRJ)

Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (CRJ, DC-9, A319, A320, 757)

New Orleans, LA (DC-9)

Oklahoma City, OK (CRJ, DC-9)

Omaha, NE (CRJ, A319)

Chicago-O'Hare, IL (DC-9)

Paducah, KY (Saab turboprop)

Panama City, FL (CRJ)

Philadelphia, PA (CRJ, A320)

Phoenix, AZ (A319)

Hattiesburg, MS (Saab turboprop)

Pittsburgh, PA (CRJ)

Pensacola, FL (CRJ)

Raleigh/Durham, NC (CRJ)

Richmond, VA (CRJ)

San Antonio, TX (DC-9, A319)

Savannah, GA (CRJ)

Louisville, KY (CRJ)

Seattle, WA (A319)

San Francisco, CA (A319)

Springfield, MO (CRJ, DC-9)

Shreveport, LA (CRJ)

St. Louis, MO (CRJ, DC-9)

Tallahassee, FL (CRJ)

Tampa, FL (DC-9, 757)

Tri-Cities, TN (Saab turboprop)

Tulsa, OK (CRJ)

Tupelo, MS (Saab turboprop)

Knoxville, TN (CRJ)

Destin/Ft. Walton Beach, FL (DC-9)

Fayetteville, AR (CRJ)

Aspen, CO (CRJ)

Non-Stop International Service from MEM:

Amsterdam, Netherlands (DC-10, A330)

Cancun, Mexico (A320)

Cozumel, Mexico (A320)

Montego Bay, Jamaica (A320)

Toronto (CRJ)

I'll add more airlines later on (kinda tired after typing this stuff in!). There are probably a few destinations left off this list due to the fact that I'm using the Fall '06 timetable. There are seasonal routes that just aren't on there such as Vancouver, BC and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway to know where Fedex brings in planes from? I heard Fedex allows employees to stowaway for free on their planes but that was years ago.

Yeah, I was watching a program on the National Geographic Channel about that. If I remember correctly it was back in the early 90s when one of the employees, I think it was a mechanic, was in the jump seat of a DC-10 and tried to high jack the plane after it had taken off from Memphis. He brought along a harpoon gun, and some hammers I think. Although the other crew of 3 were all severely injured, they managed to subdue the deranged employee and land the plane safely back in Memphis. Supposedly the man had been going through some financial problems and went crazy. No telling what he would have done with that plane if he could have gotten control of it.

Well thats about all I remember, I might have left a few things out though. :D

Non-Stop Destinations from MEM on other airlines...

Delta Airlines

Atlanta, GA (CRJ, ERJ, MD88, 737)

Cincinnati, OH (CRJ, ERJ)

Salt Lake City, UT (CRJ)

AirTran

Atlanta, GA (717)

Continental Airlines

Houston, TX (CRJ, 737)

Newark, NJ (CRJ)

American Airlines

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX (MD80)

Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ERJ, CRJ)

St. Louis, MO (ERJ)

Miami, FL (ERJ)

United Airlines

Denver, CO (CRJ)

Chicago-O'Hare, IL (CRJ)

US Airways/America West

Charlotte, NC (CRJ, 737-seasonal)

Phoenix, AZ (CRJ, 737)

*When I'm putting in the equipment, I'm not making a difference between CR7s and CRJs or 737-300s and 737-800s, etc. That would take a lot longer haha.

Yeah, I was watching a program on the National Geographic Channel about that. If I remember correctly it was back in the early 90s when one of the employees, I think it was a mechanic, was in the jump seat of a DC-10 and tried to high jack the plane after it had taken off from Memphis. He brought along a harpoon gun, and some hammers I think. Although the other crew of 3 were all severely injured, they managed to subdue the deranged employee and land the plane safely back in Memphis. Supposedly the man had been going through some financial problems and went crazy. No telling what he would have done with that plane if he could have gotten control of it.

Well thats about all I remember, I might have left a few things out though. :D

I remember that. One of the pilots was paralyzed on one whole side of his body when he landed it. That must have been a horrific experience. I thought he was a pilot that just got fired. I remember the police asking him what he was thinking; he said he just snapped. There weren't any fatalities were there?

I remember that. One of the pilots was paralyzed on one whole side of his body when he landed it. That must have been a horrific experience. I thought he was a pilot that just got fired. I remember the police asking him what he was thinking; he said he just snapped. There weren't any fatalities were there?

Maybe he was a pilot, I can't remember, but I don't think there was any fatalities just some pretty nasty injuries.

Are there any plans to renovate the MEM terminal? Honestly, I find the low ceilings and gray brick a little embarassing, considering the hundreds of thousands of people who layover here and see nothing else of Memphis... :blush:

Are there any plans to renovate the MEM terminal? Honestly, I find the low ceilings and gray brick a little embarassing, considering the hundreds of thousands of people who layover here and see nothing else of Memphis... :blush:

Well, actually, on my way back here from Boston, I was talking to the NWA pilot sitting next to me, and he echoed some news I had heard from several people. Apparently, there are two options being explored right now.

Option 1:

Make the B terminal more of an "I" than a "Y". In essence, they would stop the terminal at the rotunda (and possibly add a few gates after it; however, this would make "B" the international terminal. Then, A or C would be lengthened to accomodate all of Northwest's options in one terminal.

Option 2:

Widen B and "raise the roof" to permit for more foot traffic. Also mentioned in the operation was to expand the regional terminal portion in terminal A.

O, and here's another tidbit I've heard...VirginAmerica is looking at Memphis for a few flights.

They have talked about building a second level on top of concourse B for a tram/people mover. I don't think there are any definitive plans at the moment. I think the newer additions to concourse C are pretty nice. A skylight makes all the difference in the world. The new food court also works too.

did you mean Virgin Atlantic,

No. Virgin America is a new start up airline...basically the next JetBlue. It's through Richard Branson (owner of the Virgin conglomerate), but as the website states...it is TOTALLY American-owned...it's rather controversial simply b/c Continental is trying to block it due to "foreign influence."

They have talked about building a second level on top of concourse B for a tram/people mover. I don't think there are any definitive plans at the moment. I think the newer additions to concourse C are pretty nice. A skylight makes all the difference in the world. The new food court also works too.

I've heard that too (when the World Runway opened, it was in an article in the CA). It'd be nice b/c it'd probably be the ExpressTram system used at Detroit and Minneapolis.

The Detroit World Gateway is my favorite airport. It is beautiful and so easy to get around. I love the huge video screens and the walls of glass in which the jetway doors seem to float. However, the terminal is a mile long, justifying the need for a tram. MEM's C concourse really isn't that long and isn't much of a problem unless it's crowded. A tram is possible in the future, but it is at least a decade away. In the meantime, I wish they'd replace the glass in the entryway with frameless windows and cover the white concrete columns with stainless steel or something. I think that would look very sleek and modern. The brick tile in the interior could be covered with rich wood paneling.

The Detroit World Gateway is my favorite airport. It is beautiful and so easy to get around. I love the huge video screens and the walls of glass in which the jetway doors seem to float. However, the terminal is a mile long, justifying the need for a tram. MEM's C concourse really isn't that long and isn't much of a problem unless it's crowded. A tram is possible in the future, but it is at least a decade away. In the meantime, I wish they'd replace the glass in the entryway with frameless windows and cover the white concrete columns with stainless steel or something. I think that would look very sleek and modern. The brick tile in the interior could be covered with rich wood paneling.

For some reason I just like the terminal the way it is. Its a really cool design and it looks really great at night.

Yeah. I think that Memphis should just hold on to its own identity and keep the low ceiling terminal. I say extend the terminal instead of "Raising the Roof." I think MEM has a retro look to much like downtown; it fits with Memphis identity.

I guess I wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't for the fact that it is showing its age. Some of the ceiling tiles need to be replaced, the carpet needs to be replaced in some places, and it needs to at least be widened. I feel that B needs to have upgrades to permit moving walkways in the concourse to allow for quicker walks between gates. If it were modernized a bit, it'd be fine. I'm still pro-tram, tho. B can be a walk, and it will get worse of some of these additions are followed through.

Yeah. I think that Memphis should just hold on to its own identity and keep the low ceiling terminal. I say extend the terminal instead of "Raising the Roof." I think MEM has a retro look to much like downtown; it fits with Memphis identity.

yah...i'm all for retro too. and you're right, memphis is able to pull it off. i just think it needs to be non-shabby retro which we're bordering on IMO.

i think the outside of the airport is great. all it needs is maybe a fresh coat of paint and new windows and we're great!

has anyone been to MSP lately? they've turned their airport into a frickin mall.

yah...i'm all for retro too. and you're right, memphis is able to pull it off. i just think it needs to be non-shabby retro which we're bordering on IMO.

i think the outside of the airport is great. all it needs is maybe a fresh coat of paint and new windows and we're great!

has anyone been to MSP lately? they've turned their airport into a frickin mall.

The D Terminal at DFW is like a mall as well. A very nice and modern looking mall. I took photos a couple of weeks ago during a layover. I will try to post them in another thread.

Yeah it sure does need some paint. I was thinking in the lobby area, before the checkpoint, maybe they should put some banners hanging from the ceiling. THe ceiling is not appealing to me. Banners would add livery to feel of entering the terminal.

Yeah it sure does need some paint. I was thinking in the lobby area, before the checkpoint, maybe they should put some banners hanging from the ceiling. THe ceiling is not appealing to me. Banners would add livery to feel of entering the terminal.

That's why I suggested covering the "martini glasses" in stainless steel. They supposedly installed new lights in the lobby that has improved the look. Last time I was there, I was in a hurry and didn't notice.

Archived