Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

Northwest is apparently facing pilot shortages and has had to cancel numerous flights and will continue to do so until June 25. 240 flights are expected to be cancelled system-wide...not horrible, but not good. From Memphis today, flights to Denver, Phoenix, Tampa, Dallas, two to New York-LGA, Cancun, and Atlanta have been cancelled. Eight flights isn't too bad for the hub. Frontier can pick up the Denver and probably the Phoenix passengers haha

It is to my understanding the Frontier is adding additional destination to and from Memphis on top of the Denver flight. I have dig up that article.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is to my understanding the Frontier is adding additional destination to and from Memphis on top of the Denver flight. I have dig up that article.

I think they started off with three or four destinations, including Orlando and Vegas. So are you saying they're adding more on top of those original three/four/

Interesting. I'm wondering how much expansion Frontier has planned for MEM. They certainly need to have some other hub or focus city that isn't as affected by winter weather as DEN is, but at the same time, how much can Frontier expand to with only one gate? I have noticed that there is some construction going on at the northern end of the C concourse, but I hate to speculate on what it could be (probably just another restaurant haha), but it would make sense to move that one American gate down at that end to be with the rest of the American mainline ops in C and then move Frontier down that way to have some more room if they do plan on expanding here. I don't know. We'll see! I'd love to see them start MEM-LAX, MEM-SFO, MEM-SEA, or MEM-PDX...or all four haha

OK, more updates on the Frontier business at MEM...I was talking to some people with the airport as well as a few pilots, and apparently there is a lot of buzz over what Frontier plans to do with Memphis. Apparently sometime around Christmas the service will be beefed up on all of the current routes (MEM-DEN, MEM-MCO, and MEM-LAS) and maybe a few destinations will be added. E170s may make an appearance here, but the fact that they aren't going to be on those flights makes many people wonder if there is going to be feeder service into MEM. What's odd, tho, is that the BNA-DEN flights goes down to twice daily from its current four flights a day (granted, i think that's due to Southwest more than anything else)...it is certainly interesting to see how Frontier is working!

This was in Nashville today doing some proving runs. It's Compass Airlines first ERJ 175-200LR (N602CZ)

Nashville service on Compass starts August 21st!

original.jpg

original.jpg

nice pics, lexy! ya, i know a lot of the DTW and MEM fans are eagerly awaiting these flights at the hubs later on this year.

Southwest is hurting Frontier's higher fares out of Nashville. Plus, Frontier hasn't got the flights timed good in Nashville for business travelers.

I'm sure. I think the Memphis crowd welcomes them, though. The timing is off here as well with flights leaving at 10PM for some. Interesting stuff, tho. I'm wondering where the E170s are going, tho. One comes in from DEN, but it's not on any of the return flights.

I'm sure. I think the Memphis crowd welcomes them, though. The timing is off here as well with flights leaving at 10PM for some. Interesting stuff, tho. I'm wondering where the E170s are going, tho. One comes in from DEN, but it's not on any of the return flights.

I would hope so, they offer more flights from there. Here in Nashville it's either CUN of DIA and that's your choices. People in Nashville are tired, no...SICK and TIRED, of having to connect through other airports. They are ready for more non-stop markets, one reason Southwest is starting to grow this market again. And another reason why F9 is status quo here. BTW, I was asking a friend who works out in Denver for F9 and he said that twice dailies are the regular for this market in that segment. As it stands now, they only have three a day from DIA, so it's really not that big a deal.

I would hope so, they offer more flights from there. Here in Nashville it's either CUN of DIA and that's your choices. People in Nashville are tired, no...SICK and TIRED, of having to connect through other airports. They are ready for more non-stop markets, one reason Southwest is starting to grow this market again. And another reason why F9 is status quo here. BTW, I was asking a friend who works out in Denver for F9 and he said that twice dailies are the regular for this market in that segment. As it stands now, they only have three a day from DIA, so it's really not that big a deal.

How much service did Southwest add to BNA? Are you sure? Right now, the timetables show four flights a day from BNA to DEN, and I think you even reported that a while back.

After this whole flight cancelling fiasco, word is getting around that Northwest is going to add some interesting equipment to the mix between its hubs. Expect the A330 to make a few flights from Memphis on domestic ops in coming days. Should be nice to see a few of those around throughout the day and not just for the Amsterdam flight.

After this whole flight cancelling fiasco, word is getting around that Northwest is going to add some interesting equipment to the mix between its hubs. Expect the A330 to make a few flights from Memphis on domestic ops in coming days. Should be nice to see a few of those around throughout the day and not just for the Amsterdam flight.

LMAO! I saw they were running some of their 744's from MSP on LAX flights the other day. Man, harkens back to the 80's eh?

F9's schedule for today is 3 flights.

Southwest is adding one daily to PHL,DIA, and MDW from BNA. All the while they pulled some flights from their larger stations like BWI and PHL. I guess "growing" is a bit stronge of a word to use. More like they are "connecting the dots......again". LOL!!

LMAO! I saw they were running some of their 744's from MSP on LAX flights the other day. Man, harkens back to the 80's eh?

F9's schedule for today is 3 flights.

Southwest is adding one daily to PHL,DIA, and MDW from BNA. All the while they pulled some flights from their larger stations like BWI and PHL. I guess "growing" is a bit stronge of a word to use. More like they are "connecting the dots......again". LOL!!

haha seriously. sometime around then they ran 747s between MEM and MSP.

check the timetable for July 6 because next week there are four BNA-DEN flights. Perhaps they run a reduced weekend schedule in Nashville.

Haha yeah...go BNA because I know Southwest didn't expand too much lately.

check the timetable for July 6 because next week there are four BNA-DEN flights. Perhaps they run a reduced weekend schedule in Nashville.

LOL! I think you are right about that. Their weekend schedule is reduced, but add two CUN flights.

As for WN, we take what we can get around here. Even if it's the NINTH flight to freakin' Chicago (im a dumpy-ass airport) Midway. LOL!!!

LOL! I think you are right about that. Their weekend schedule is reduced, but add two CUN flights.

As for WN, we take what we can get around here. Even if it's the NINTH flight to freakin' Chicago (im a dumpy-ass airport) Midway. LOL!!!

Haha yeah...I remember my sister-in-law saying the only good thing about flying into Midway was that she got to be on that show Airline. Are the CUN flights daily or do they just fly down there on the weekends?

haha seriously. sometime around then they ran 747s between MEM and MSP.

Haha yeah...go BNA because I know Southwest didn't expand too much lately.

Speaking of 747's, I saw one fly into Memphis at about 8:30 tonight. It flew directly over so it was kind of hard to tell what airline it was. The bottom of it was completely white and I caught a short glimpse of the vertical stabilizer which looked red, so I thought it could be a NWA freighter or maybe even a NWA passenger. But I am pretty sure there is not a 747 passenger flight to Memphis.

Speaking of 747's, I saw one fly into Memphis at about 8:30 tonight. It flew directly over so it was kind of hard to tell what airline it was. The bottom of it was completely white and I caught a short glimpse of the vertical stabilizer which looked red, so I thought it could be a NWA freighter or maybe even a NWA passenger. But I am pretty sure there is not a 747 passenger flight to Memphis.

hmmm...i know FedEx will charter 747s sometimes, but its normally from Kalita Air at around Christmas...

I am going to be at the airport tomorrow. The AN-225 will be there for the fourth and final time and my wife and I along with a friend are going to be there to see it. It is scheduled to arrive anytime around the noon hour Saturday and it will depart at 10pm on Sunday for Kuwait. We are tentativly scheduled to pay a visit on the ramp with it as well. That isn't quite written in stone yet, but I am finalizing the plans as we speak. MEM is a bit harder to gain access inside the fence than Nashville because I don't have quite the contacts that I have at BNA. But i'm working on it. LOL!!! I'll post pics soon.

Here is what I got from my visit out to MEM yesterday.

Go to this link and scroll toward the bottom of the page and you'll see what I have up so far.

http://www.pbase.com/lexyky/memphis_airport

There is this also taken about a year ago here in Nashville of the same plane........

http://www.pbase.com/lexyky/image/81868362

The missions for the AN-225 will conclude with its departure later today. There should be visits from the AN-124 in the coming weeks in support of the AN-225 along with a selection of 747 charter flights in support. After about a month or so, the flights will all cease and it will return to business as usual.

I know rumors aren't always true, but they are RUNNING WILD right now about whether or not Frontier plans to add Mexican destinations from MEM. Apparently there is a lot of depth behind Northwest's recent addition of Memphis-Puerto Vallarta service, as many in the industry claim that people at Northwest may know something we don't about Frontier's intentions at MEM and that it was a preemptive strike at Frontier Mexican service at MEM. Cancun has new facilities, but I really hope there's something more exciting than that from here if it happens. O, and what's even more interesting/odd is Frontier has suspended Cancun service from Nashville for four months

O, and what's even more interesting/odd is Frontier has suspended Cancun service from Nashville for four months

How is it surprising when they don't promote their product? Nobody knows that flight exsist from here. Where is the offical announcement that it is suspended? I haven't see anything regarding this nor is there anything int he newspaper about it. Frontier Flight 53 arrived yesterday at 9:45PM from Cancun. Their website still have n/s flights loaded in the system all the way into the winter from Nashville so I don't know where you heard this.

You should know better, especially considering it's the airlines NB. It's wayyyyyyyy tooooooo early to gauge the business from MEM with F9. They have to have an established station open for a while before they start expanding service a great deal. They don't just DROP service in everyone's lap. Now, with that said, If there isn't a huge market to CUN from Nashville without connecting traffic, how is there a huge market to there from MEM? The markets are somewhat similar and the demand wouldn't be greater from one to the other. That's common sense.

How is it surprising when they don't promote their product? Nobody knows that flight exsist from here. Where is the offical announcement that it is suspended? I haven't see anything regarding this nor is there anything int he newspaper about it. Frontier Flight 53 arrived yesterday at 9:45PM from Cancun. Their website still have n/s flights loaded in the system all the way into the winter from Nashville so I don't know where you heard this.

You should know better, especially considering it's the airlines NB. It's wayyyyyyyy tooooooo early to gauge the business from MEM with F9. They have to have an established station open for a while before they start expanding service a great deal. They don't just DROP service in everyone's lap. Now, with that said, If there isn't a huge market to CUN from Nashville without connecting traffic, how is there a huge market to there from MEM? The markets are somewhat similar and the demand wouldn't be greater from one to the other. That's common sense.

Granted, I've never heard of too many airlines publicizing reduced or dropped services a great deal, I have heard from numerous people that the BNA-CUN flight is simply being treated as seasonal and will go off the market for four months to utilize the aircraft elsewhere in the system. BNA isn't the only city I've heard this about. THere are a few others, but BNA was one of the ones mentioned. I should have reworded this more as a question than an announcement; however, the fact that it was brought up several times led me to believe it. Especially considering that F9 is adding service from DEN to Costa Rica and other places that only run a few times a week, so I could see them wanting aircraft there over having it on flights that just aren't as popular or heavily marketed.

I certainly agree that it is way too early to gauge the success of MEM with Frontier; however, when you have it where many flights on F9 from here are nearly booked or overbooked several months in advance, I would think the station is doing quite well and needs to be observed for expansion. I agree that BNA and MEM have some similarities; however, the only reason F9 seems to be doing better here than at BNA is the fact that it is the only LCC with a large presence here. Furthermore, they are heavily marketing these flights with billboards and commercials. BNA has Southwest to compete with whereas MEM doesn't. Furthermore, I didn't say MEM was getting a flight to Mexico, I simply said that many are speculating that there are due to Northwest's moves recently.

F9 seems to be adding flights to destinations in the Midwest that are strongholds of NW. I wonder if they are trying to drive them out of business.

Impossible. With NWA's networks around the world, it would most likely be the other way around. It would be Northwest running Frontier out of business. Although, Frontier may be gunning for Northwest's lack of good coverage in Central America. You know, trying to caprure that marketshare before NW can establish a loyal base out of Central American markets.

Archived