Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

Looks like MEM's east-west runway 9-27 will be getting a rework next year and upgraded to a concrete surface vs. the current asphalt, according to the Memphis Daily News. It's interesting timing for this as I seem to recall in 2004 or '05 that runway was shut down for a period of time for repaving. Perhaps the transition to heavier aircraft (757/777 purchases) necessitated 9-27 being concrete to hold the higher weights. No word yet as to whether the airport will upgrade the approach lighting system or add centerline lights to make this a Cat 2 or Cat 3 runway in the future.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/...e.aspx?id=39679

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Memphis officials are using a feud between Atlanta and Delta over costs to lobby Delta for more flights out of here. Our regional chamber is also in the mix and they break down the Memphis cost advantage. Interesting and timely: http://www.ajc.com/search/content//busines...is_atlanta.html

Multiple media sources covered it, but Delta announced addition of twice-daily service between Memphis and Golden Triangle Airport serving Columbus, West Point, and Starkville, MS. Looks like the service will be operated by Mesaba in the Saab 340. Good to see this service return as NW Airlink had not served GTR in several years. From the Columbus Commercial Dispatch: http://www.cdispatch.com/articles/2009/01/...ews/local02.txt

• 2 months later...

I have been in and out of the Memphis Airport quite frequently recently and noticed the total lack of use of a prime area in the terminal. The second story walk-way space in the eastern end of the terminal seems like an excellent area to develop for displays and/or exibits of local art, history, etc. All that is up there currently is a single small display of copies of random historical documents from WWII and other periods at the top of the steps. Anyone know or remember if this second story walkway has ever been used and/or had a purpose in years past? Clearly has none now.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in and out of the Memphis Airport quite frequently recently and noticed the total lack of use of a prime area in the terminal. The second story walk-way space in the eastern end of the terminal seems like an excellent area to develop for displays and/or exibits of local art, history, etc. All that is up there currently is a single small display of copies of random historical documents from WWII and other periods at the top of the steps. Anyone know or remember if this second story walkway has ever been used and/or had a purpose in years past? Clearly has none now.

If I'm thinking of the same area your thinking of, It was designed for plane watching pretty much. Every time I go to the airport now I'll go up there and watch the planes land and taxi to their gates. Between the B and C terminals, I think there was a hotel up there back when the airport first opened.

• 2 weeks later...

Delta will add 3x daily MEM-LUV (Dallas-Love) service starting in July. This complements additional service Delta has added between Memphis and Texas cities to make up for loss of service once the Continental codeshare ceases to exist once Continental moves to Star Alliance and out of SkyTeam. Kudos, MEM!

Just three more regional jet flights per day. That's about all our airport has now as there are very few mainline flights using larger jet aircraft.

What Memphis needs is competition in the form of service from Southwest Airlines.

Delta will add 3x daily MEM-LUV (Dallas-Love) service starting in July. This complements additional service Delta has added between Memphis and Texas cities to make up for loss of service once the Continental codeshare ceases to exist once Continental moves to Star Alliance and out of SkyTeam. Kudos, MEM!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Memphis Daily News had an interesting article today about all of the construction projects underway at the airport (along with some future plans involving the expansion of the main terminal):

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/...e.aspx?id=42695

Great article! I love how things get done at the airport. It's in great hands! :thumbsup:

I think the airport will just keep getting better and better, and continue to be the jewel of the city.

Looks like the intermodal transport center is under construction!

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/...e.aspx?id=41355

This project will include a bus transit center, greyhound terminal, taxi stand, parking, bathrooms, police substation, space reserved for future light rail, a cafeteria, and some space for vendors.

Another cool project. Progress is chugging right along down at the airport.

• 2 months later...

The airport has a couple of files available on their website (found under Business Opportunities -> Purchasing) that illustrates what the final design of the parking garage/rental car facility will potentially look like when finished, including the proposed pedestrian plaza connecting the garages to the terminal. This one just shows illustrations of the project from different angles:

http://www.memphisairport.org/themes/memai...%20Revolver.pdf

Saw an article in CA, I believe, that said that the airport is trying to get funding to redue the landscaping on the road that leads to the airport. It'll probably pass but it looks like folks on the city council are playing politics with it. Nothing serious just some grandstanding I believe. Also, they're supposed to get funding from TDOT to redue the airways blvd/I-240 intersection. Don't know when funding for that will come but the project is on the TDOT website.

Saw an article in CA, I believe, that said that the airport is trying to get funding to redue the landscaping on the road that leads to the airport. It'll probably pass but it looks like folks on the city council are playing politics with it. Nothing serious just some grandstanding I believe. Also, they're supposed to get funding from TDOT to redue the airways blvd/I-240 intersection. Don't know when funding for that will come but the project is on the TDOT website.

From what I've heard about that, the city's Office of Planning and Development has that as a high-priority project, but I forgot the source of where that info came from.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For anyone that says downtwon Memphis is un attractive I dont know what to tell you. Memphis has a gritty look because the buildings are built closer to the street and there is a large collection of older structures. However many of those buildings have been renovated and have nice fascades and we have a true urban feel in downtown Memphis. 20,000 people would not live down there if it was so un attractive. The truth be told people are negative about Memphis because the city is changing, its not the old city it used to be, demographics have changed, the job market has changed, and a lot of people have good ideas for Memphis however all the negative people that claim they love the city shoot down anything that would bring progress, like a new convention center, beale street landing. These are things that other cities jump on but citizens of Memphis complain about development. The story about crime is getting old, everyone is not a criminal in Memphis and you dont get robbed everytime you walk outside. Like most cities there are just certain things you have to be aware of in an urban environment period. Dont leave your door un locked, turn on some lights around your house, and dont walk around feeling as if it wont happen in certain areas because crime follows people that are un prepared(no matter what city you live in). But the biggest thing with Memphis is that some people need to just leave and go on to that perfect city they envision and stop trying to complain and ruin everyone else's perception of the city. Some people just need to go. Like my high school coach said if you dont love it get out of it.

Was Beale Street Landing canceled? The Memphis Airport area does need renovation though. Its a terrible front door to our city and I think they recognize this. Lets just see if they can get this aerotropolis thing off the ground

No Beale street landing is currently under construction they are approaching phase 3 which will be the more visible structures. There has been a lot of foundation work but it is definintly under construction go to memphisriverfront.com to view the live construction cam, playhouse on the square is almost finished, the new airport tower is almost done, the parking structure is about to begin, lebohneur is almost complete on the outside, and phase 1 of the UT Baptist research park is topped out. There are a lot of major projects being completed now some people actually just dont drive around the city to really see whats happening. Oh yea the new courtyard marriott downtown on main is finished and the barbaro alley flats are about on the 4th floor check out some of these places.

No Beale street landing is currently under construction they are approaching phase 3 which will be the more visible structures. There has been a lot of foundation work but it is definitely under construction go to memphisriverfront.com to view the live construction cam, playhouse on the square is almost finished, the new airport tower is almost done, the parking structure is about to begin, lebohneur is almost complete on the outside, and phase 1 of the UT Baptist research park is topped out. There are a lot of major projects being completed now some people actually just dont drive around the city to really see whats happening. Oh yea the new courtyard marriott downtown on main is finished and the barbaro alley flats are about on the 4th floor check out some of these places.

All of these things are true, but with the economy as weak as it is right now, don't expect any other new things to take shape until the banks start financing again. But then again, it's better to have some construction going on than none at all.

Hopefully, we'll see more improvements done in and around the airport area once these major projects are done, though I'm still waiting to see if the proposed South Intermodal Terminal (MATA/Greyhound/Future light rail station) is still going to be built next year.

Archived