Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a MEM-Charles de Gaulle flight is next. That would link Northwest's hub with its partner's two European hubs.

Agreed. I see MEM-CDG and a second MEM-AMS flight as the next two European destinations added. I also see more Carribean destinations just because MEM is evolving into the Carribean gateway for NW.

We JUST talked about how Memphis International has been very very productive for NWA in class.

O really? What all was brought up?

Much was discussed. We talked about how Memphis was ran by one of the best developers in the industry. The professor also discussed how powerful the airport and essential it is to U.S. with Fedex and UPS holding things down in the Bluff. He mentioned that Dallas has the BEST airfield layout in either America or the World but it was impressive; Atlanta Hartsfield fifth runway was discussed and he said it was a disgrace to aerospace development because it took 16 years to build the 8,000 ft runway, when it only took Denver 4 years to build their whole airport. I think the Atlanta runway project was around 2 billion dollars and the Denver airport project was 3 billion (these aren't exact numbers). He is a professor and an airport developer; I learned alot and the future of Memphis International is very very bright, just a matter of time.

We discussed a little about BNA and how they built a parallel runway to relieve traffic in the late 80's and how a perpendicular runway was built in regards of wind direction.. Its a 3 hour class so much was discussed but very interesting. Both Memphis and Nashville have bright futures but brighter for Memphis. To tell you the truth, I am excited about the futures of Nashville and Memphis.

Much was discussed. We talked about how Memphis was ran by one of the best developers in the industry. The professor also discussed how powerful the airport and essential it is to U.S. with Fedex and UPS holding things down in the Bluff. He mentioned that Dallas has the BEST airfield layout in either America or the World but it was impressive; Atlanta Hartsfield fifth runway was discussed and he said it was a disgrace to aerospace development because it took 16 years to build the 8,000 ft runway, when it only took Denver 4 years to build their whole airport. I think the Atlanta runway project was around 2 billion dollars and the Denver airport project was 3 billion (these aren't exact numbers). He is a professor and an airport developer; I learned alot and the future of Memphis International is very very bright, just a matter of time.

We discussed a little about BNA and how they built a parallel runway to relieve traffic in the late 80's and how a perpendicular runway was built in regards of wind direction.. Its a 3 hour class so much was discussed but very interesting. Both Memphis and Nashville have bright futures but brighter for Memphis. To tell you the truth, I am excited about the futures of Nashville and Memphis.

haha awesome. thanks for sharing!

Very interesting. I knew that the dude running the airport (Larry Cox?) is one of the best and most widely respected in the industry . . .

Article in today's MBJ about how the repeal of the Wright Amendment opens Memphis up for SWA. We aren't included in the inital round of expansion, but they plan to serve "over-priced, under-served" markets. We most definitely are not under-served, but it's arguable we are over-priced.

Air France is in town scoping out Memphis for a Charles de Gaulle flight.

Air France currently doesn't do business in Memphis, but they still chose us for their North American marketing and sales meeting.

Article in today's CA. A nice feather in the cap for Memphis either way. :thumbsup:

Air France is in town scoping out Memphis for a Charles de Gaulle flight.

Air France currently doesn't do business in Memphis, but they still chose us for their North American marketing and sales meeting.

Article in today's CA. A nice feather in the cap for Memphis either way. :thumbsup:

For the first time in years I screamed when I finished reading this article...pretty sweet if it happens! I wonder what they would fly...

You guys on this Memphis site is so accurate. You hit this one right on the head. Commercial Appeal is so late on all developments. When I read this site I usually find out all kinds of great info and developments about this Metro area. It made me proud to look at the paper to see this and know you all had been talking about this exact flight. Great Job!

MEM is proving how well-run it is; it appears they're building a lot of relationships (Air France, Southwest, maybe JetBlue) and have made a positive impression on carriers, even if the timing isn't right yet to officially partner up. That kind of business approach can't be understimated, and only improves the image of the airport, and the city/region.

Hopefully these relationships bear fruit soon. But even if they don't, you can't say that the airport isn't trying.

Yep!! We didn't become a hub by accident...

It was a hub for Republic and when Republic was folded into NorthWest it stayed a hub. For NorthWest, it was the only way to have a hub in the south. Delta had Atlanta locked up. Now maintaining Memphis as hub, that is a different subject. When you think that several alternate hubs to Atlanta in the south were later downsized. That may show the expertice of the management.

If AirFrance does decide to pick up the flight, I think they would start with an A330-200 since it is the smallest long-haul plane they fly. Other options are an A340, a 747, or two versions of the 777. I'd love to see the 747 or a 777 come to MEM with commercial purposes, but it's highly unlikely

The 787 would be a good choice, but its hard to imagine that Air France would purchase any of those planes. (I might be wrong)

I do think that Memphis has exactly the right geographic location and investment in it's airport to maintain its hub status along with additional growth even in these somewhat difficult times with the airline industry.

Which planes hold a lot of cargo. I believe FedEx will be buying cargo space on this flight, which will ultimately make it profitable.

I think a MEM-Charles de Gaulle flight is next. That would link Northwest's hub with its partner's two European hubs.

Am I a genius or what? I think I'll go play the stock market now. Or maybe go to Tunica.

It was a hub for Republic and when Republic was folded into NorthWest it stayed a hub. For NorthWest, it was the only way to have a hub in the south. Delta had Atlanta locked up. Now maintaining Memphis as hub, that is a different subject. When you think that several alternate hubs to Atlanta in the south were later downsized. That may show the expertice of the management.

I think it was hub even before Republic days . . . and something of a focus city for Delta in the 80s, or so it seemed.

The 787 would be a good choice, but its hard to imagine that Air France would purchase any of those planes. (I might be wrong)

Did the frenchies divest themselves of Airbus? If not, then I think you're right, they're unlikely to pick up a rival's plane.

I think it was hub even before Republic days . . . and something of a focus city for Delta in the 80s, or so it seemed.

Did the frenchies divest themselves of Airbus? If not, then I think you're right, they're unlikely to pick up a rival's plane.

The French still own a portion of Airbus, but they now only have 20% of Air France.

The French still own a portion of Airbus, but they now only have 20% of Air France.

So who bailed on Airbus? I thought it was now all British? EADS was gone? BAE? Or the Germans? Something happened recently over there. Someone bailed. I just don't remember who.

Clobber is right. Until 1986 (NWA/Republic merger), Memphis was a Delta focus city with about 50 flights a day to various cities. You could go to West Palm, Miami, Tampa, Little Rock, NYC area, and I think Los Angeles from here. There were also some Midwest/East Coast destinations in that mix as well, but I don't recall. After the merger, they cut it down to 20 flights a day to DFW, CVG, and ATL.

American was once big (relative term) here back in the 1950s-early 1970s because of regulated routes. Even in the early 1980s, they ran DC9's between TRI and BNA to MEM before they totally shelved point-to-point routes.

If Air France does come to the airport, doesn't that signal a Northwest commitment to MEM? I'm sure they wouldn't even bother with looking here if they didn't know that Northwest has plans to drop MEM as a hub. Plus, if Air France does start up a MEM-CDG flight, I'm sure there would be additional flights added on the domestic side.

MEM Wins Top Concessions Award

Neat to see the success of the concessions expansion and how we're one of the top fifteen airports in the US for concessions sales. Go MEM!

That's really cool for MEM! I liked this quote, "The Memphis airport does a very good job of tying itself to the theme of the city. If you're going through the airport, you'll know from looking at the concessions where you are."

That's important for any city. MEM is really doing its part for Memphis.

Archived