Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lexy is on skyscraper page and skyscrapercity telling everyone that Memphis would never get this flight. I think he hates Memphis more than he loves Nashville.

Hey, if it means less drama on here, I don't care! To quote,

"LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

ok...i'm done with my teasing...back to MEM and how it's a cool place to fly from or into!

Great news about Air France. Remember, MEM has very few delays because of weather and a great flow of inbound and outbound air traffic. Its well known that there is nothing you can tell airline execs about your city that they don't already know, so their visit is obviously a good sign!

I wouldn't worry about Fedex and the A380. If the plane actually gets produced, I'm sure Fedex will jump back on the bandwagon if UPS gets them.

Great news about Air France. Remember, MEM has very few delays because of weather and a great flow of inbound and outbound air traffic. Its well known that there is nothing you can tell airline execs about your city that they don't already know, so their visit is obviously a good sign!

I wouldn't worry about Fedex and the A380. If the plane actually gets produced, I'm sure Fedex will jump back on the bandwagon if UPS gets them.

Thats what sets MEM apart from Detroit, Minn, Indy etc... That was apart of discussion in class which is why Memphis' future looks bright.. Is it true Memphis was a hub city for 30 years straight? With exceptions of UPS and FedEx..

This is a little confusing. According to the MBJ, FedEx plans on buying 6 A300's next year, but 10 777's this year. So is there a substantial difference between the A300 and the A380? I admit my ignorance when it comes to Airbus...

Yes, the A380 was the huge super jumbo that is bigger than the 747. FedEx was one of the first companies to place orders for this plane. (Cargo version) It has been plagued with technical problems and delays and is will be delivered years late as a result. It has been nicknamed the "WhaleBus".

In regards to Rardy's post, I think you have the A319, A320, A310, A300, A330, A340, A380....They are in order of size; A319 being the smallest and A380 being the largest.. I am not sure about the lineup but it should accurate to the answer. I know for sure that the A300 is larger than the A310 and smaller than the beautiful A330.Pretty good lineup for the first aircraft to use fly-by-wire and a joystick to control the plane...

In regards to Rardy's post, I think you have the A319, A320, A310, A300, A330, A340, A380....They are in order of size; A319 being the smallest and A380 being the largest.. I am not sure about the lineup but it should accurate to the answer. I know for sure that the A300 is larger than the A310 and smaller than the beautiful A330.Pretty good lineup for the first aircraft to use fly-by-wire and a joystick to control the plane...

Cool -- thanks.

I also heard recently that MEM is the busiest airport in the country at night. Can anyone corroborate that?

Cool -- thanks.

I also heard recently that MEM is the busiest airport in the country at night. Can anyone corroborate that?

Actually, its the busiest airport in the WORLD at night!

http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/Memphi...ials/Jensen.htm

I heard that some cities actually enforce "curfews" on their airports. No planes can land or take off in Toronto past midnight from what I've heard.

This has been mentioned on airliners.net, and I have been thinking about it as well...what about the huge hangar and modifications taking place at MEM to get it ready for the A380? Are we just ready twenty years in advance for FedEx to take delivery of old A380s from commercial airliners?

You know I would actually take a Boeing 777 over an Airbus 380 anytime. Boeing has some long lasting, well built planes.

I think they will go ahead and keep the original heights on the hangars, because in the future who knows how big planes will get.

agreed...i think FedEx will eventually order A380s, it's just cancelling its current order.

For the MEM airport, it's a wash. Whether it's 757s, 777s, or A380s, FedEx needs the ramp and hangar space, so the A380 cancellation is no big deal; either way FedEx will park planes on the new concrete.

As for the change of order itself, it's a bit intriguing. The 777 freighter is a good replacement for the MD11 (up to 30K lbs. more payload with 700-1000nm more range), but if FedEx is really needing a lot of international lift, it seems 747-400 freighters are a better deal. The standard 747-400 freighter can haul up to about 250K lbs. with a range similar to the new 777 freighter, while the 747-400ER freighter gets you the option of up to 285K lbs. or an extra 700-1000nm over the 747-400 (back when I worked at the purple giant, I learned you can either carry maximum cargo weight a shorter distance or less cargo a longer distance with max fuel...no such thing as a free lunch).

I suspect the 777 is a better combination of range/payload with lower operating costs/payload than the 747-400 series. Also, the 777 is a better fit into the already constructed widebody gates systemwide than the 747-400. Either way, it's great to see FedEx in expansion mode and I'm glad they're back to buying new Boeing products.

For the MEM airport, it's a wash. Whether it's 757s, 777s, or A380s, FedEx needs the ramp and hangar space, so the A380 cancellation is no big deal; either way FedEx will park planes on the new concrete.

As for the change of order itself, it's a bit intriguing. The 777 freighter is a good replacement for the MD11 (up to 30K lbs. more payload with 700-1000nm more range), but if FedEx is really needing a lot of international lift, it seems 747-400 freighters are a better deal. The standard 747-400 freighter can haul up to about 250K lbs. with a range similar to the new 777 freighter, while the 747-400ER freighter gets you the option of up to 285K lbs. or an extra 700-1000nm over the 747-400 (back when I worked at the purple giant, I learned you can either carry maximum cargo weight a shorter distance or less cargo a longer distance with max fuel...no such thing as a free lunch).

I suspect the 777 is a better combination of range/payload with lower operating costs/payload than the 747-400 series. Also, the 777 is a better fit into the already constructed widebody gates systemwide than the 747-400. Either way, it's great to see FedEx in expansion mode and I'm glad they're back to buying new Boeing products.

I think it's gotta be tough balancing immediate need with capacity. The 380 would provide the most capacity per flight, which would help the business model especially in transpacific flights. The 747 would be the next best bet (I heard a 747-800 is in the works?). It's intriguing the predicted efficiencies that the 777 would lend, but in order to transport the same number of packages in the same time frame as one 380 would be able to handle, would FedEx need more routes and planes (i.e. does 1.5 777s and 1.5 routes using the 777= 1 380 and 1 route using the 380? In the long term, I'm sure it'll be a wash, but FedEx is growing so fast, time is a luxury they don't have. I'm sure that's the analysis they're using so as not to lose any advantage to UPS, which might luck out here because now their 380 timelines are sped up, perhaps negating the atrocious delay they would've experienced if they had to wait until after FedEx received theirs.

Is it just me, or does the article seem to drop some hints...

"...and other large airplanes coming down the pike in the future..."

"The Airbus 380 might come here after all. You never know what the future will bring."

"...he expects the change will have little effect here [Memphis]."

"The Airbus 380 might come here after all. You never know what the future will bring."

I was reading this week's edition of the Economist (Nov. 11-17), and they were talking about some of the big problems Airbus faces. It seems that there's been alot of nationalistic tugs of wars over who gets to control how much between alternatively the Germans, French, and Spanish. It's a good article if anyone's interested.

Well, we know of the 777 for FX, but it makes me wonder of the Air France deal...if it began, maybe it wouldn't be on just an A330. This is a long shot, but I wonder if Air France would use an A340 or a 747 instead. After all, this would be connecting the world headquarters of FedEx to the European headquarters (lotta packages and employees) and connects a Northwest hub to a major European gateway. Even Northwest...it's probable that the 787 will add a few international flights from MEM. It's not really larger than what flies into MEM currently, but it is still a large plane comping down the pike in the future. Also, there is rumor that Northwest will start flying 747s into MEM for cargo purposes...not pax, tho.

I hope you're right, but I can't help that the first quote refers to the C5A and hypothetical planes not-yet-designed. I guess more the latter than the former b/c the C5s are already here.

I agree about the second quote; if it works for FedEx, and it turns out to be a legit efficient vehicle, the 380 will come, probably second hand like so many other FedEx ships. Might as well be ready since we're already halfway there.

I think the third quote is more a reflection of the reality that they're minimizing the loss of the capacity of the 380 with the 777, as much as possible, and it won't affect the ability to run a smooth operation.

I hope the prospect of more large planes arriving, as well as smaller planes if trans-oceanic (i.e. 787), is more than just theoretical. And I have a lot of confidence in Cox's leadership. I just think we're reading a tad much into this. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Well, we know of the 777 for FX, but it makes me wonder of the Air France deal...if it began, maybe it wouldn't be on just an A330. This is a long shot, but I wonder if Air France would use an A340 or a 747 instead. After all, this would be connecting the world headquarters of FedEx to the European headquarters (lotta packages and employees) and connects a Northwest hub to a major European gateway. Even Northwest...it's probable that the 787 will add a few international flights from MEM. It's not really larger than what flies into MEM currently, but it is still a large plane comping down the pike in the future. Also, there is rumor that Northwest will start flying 747s into MEM for cargo purposes...not pax, tho.

I'd much rather see the Air France flight use the same trajectory as KLM. Start small and manageable, gauge the demand, then ratchet it up as the market embraces it. But, if the demand is there, there's no reason that a jumbo jet wouldn't be used eventually . . .

And maybe FedEx will be on the list for the next generation freighter version of the 747 if the 380 fizzles.

Archived