Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

Security Upgrade/Renovations at MEM

This is really good b/c I notice bottlenecking at the security lines at A and C. I do like the three options for security check-ins, tho...I had to catch a US Air flight a few weeks ago, but the lines for security at that concourse were horrible! I just went through B and crossed the bridge and got there in no time...great layout!

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So...the USAirways/Delta merger...let's hope that it really isn't just a ploy to get at NWA. People in the Charlotte forum are debating this, and I really think it is necessary to bring it up in here. I personally don't see US Airways using this as a ploy to get at NWA...however, we gotta look at the options...while the NWA CEO is pretty anti-merger with his airline, i still wonder...IMO, if NWA had to merge, I would want it to be with United simply because we have the greatest shot at remaining a hub with a NWA/United merger due to the fact that there is no Southern hub for United. Furthermore, they do have a fairly compatible fleet (the difference is that United has 737s, 767s, and 777s while NWA has A330s and DC-9s...otherwise, the airlines both have Airbus A319s and A320s, 757s, and 747s). However...some say that NWA would use this as a chance to expand and add some gates at hubs in the Northeast (Boston, New York, Washington D.C.)...I really hope for that option simply because it bodes well for MEM.

So...the USAirways/Delta merger...let's hope that it really isn't just a ploy to get at NWA. People in the Charlotte forum are debating this, and I really think it is necessary to bring it up in here. I personally don't see US Airways using this as a ploy to get at NWA...however, we gotta look at the options...while the NWA CEO is pretty anti-merger with his airline, i still wonder...IMO, if NWA had to merge, I would want it to be with United simply because we have the greatest shot at remaining a hub with a NWA/United merger due to the fact that there is no Southern hub for United. Furthermore, they do have a fairly compatible fleet (the difference is that United has 737s, 767s, and 777s while NWA has A330s and DC-9s...otherwise, the airlines both have Airbus A319s and A320s, 757s, and 747s). However...some say that NWA would use this as a chance to expand and add some gates at hubs in the Northeast (Boston, New York, Washington D.C.)...I really hope for that option simply because it bodes well for MEM.

I hope you're right, man. But logic doesn't always drive these decisions. It's premature to talk about saving MEM, but we gotta aggressively prepare to prevent the worst scenario. You can be sure that the other hubs are doing the same, and will happily throw MEM under the bus to do so.

IMO, if NWA had to merge, I would want it to be with United simply because we have the greatest shot at remaining a hub with a NWA/United merger due to the fact that there is no Southern hub for United. Furthermore, they do have a fairly compatible fleet (the difference is that United has 737s, 767s, and 777s while NWA has A330s and DC-9s...otherwise, the airlines both have Airbus A319s and A320s, 757s, and 747s). However...some say that NWA would use this as a chance to expand and add some gates at hubs in the Northeast (Boston, New York, Washington D.C.)...I really hope for that option simply because it bodes well for MEM.

http://www1.airliners.net/discussions/gene...3100015/#menu26

yowza...i still think some form of operation at MEM would have to remain with a UA/NW merger simply b/c you lose the Southern region if MEM isn't kept around as a mini-hub. Plus, a ton of posters at airliners.net have been ready to shut MEM down since the NW/Republic merger. Interesting with the NW/AA merger...am i mistaken or were there talks of a NW/AA merger a few years ago?

yowza...i still think some form of operation at MEM would have to remain with a UA/NW merger simply b/c you lose the Southern region if MEM isn't kept around as a mini-hub. Plus, a ton of posters at airliners.net have been ready to shut MEM down since the NW/Republic merger. Interesting with the NW/AA merger...am i mistaken or were there talks of a NW/AA merger a few years ago?

You're right, there are a buncha haters over there who've been announcing our demise for a while now.

Sadly, that's true...first they claim the NWA hub here is gonna close and then a few from Indy claim that the FX hub at MEM is going to go to IND...um...yeah...

I saw that comment about where MEM and IND will be the same size. I had to laugh. There isn't anything on this planet like the FX hub in MEM. Why anyone would fool themselves into thinking IND will be just like MEM in size and scope is beyond me. LOL!!!

We shouldn't get toooo complacent though. It's obvious they're going after us aggressively, and if we sit idly by, eventually (like decades) it will happen. It's one thing to joke about it, and I'm sure that Cox and Co aren't just going to let it happen. But we have to keep working, keep expanding, keep updating and modernizing the technologies at the Superhub to maximize the production of the facility. We have to keep being proactive, competing against a fictional goal of unattainable perfection if necessary, to prevent actual future competitors from getting a foothold.

Edit: sorry if I'm the voice of pessimism . . . ;)

We shouldn't get toooo complacent though. It's obvious they're going after us aggressively, and if we sit idly by, eventually (like decades) it will happen. It's one thing to joke about it, and I'm sure that Cox and Co aren't just going to let it happen. But we have to keep working, keep expanding, keep updating and modernizing the technologies at the Superhub to maximize the production of the facility. We have to keep being proactive, competing against a fictional goal of unattainable perfection if necessary, to prevent actual future competitors from getting a foothold.

I don't think that's pessimistic, it's true. It's a dog-eat-dog world when it comes to economic development cause there's not enough employers to go around. To be competitive, we have to do everything you said.

Clobber, I couldn't agree with you more.

Yeah, it will be a cold day in heck before IND's FedEx hub gets as big as MEMs.

We are about 3 times as big as their hub easy. Probably more than that.

Yeah, I think Indy has about 200 gates and Memphis over 800 (not for sure).. They really show their lack of credibility every time they type something.They even felt that Indy is a more ideal location for distribution.. :rofl: Keep it coming Indy..

And thats real..

I was in Memphis last year and while I thought the city was great (downtown, mainly), I was expecting a better airport. While the terminal was clean, it was dated inside and out; the styling appeared to be from the 70's or early 80's. I was almost expecting to see Elvis in one of the waiting areas.

I did hear that the terminal is undergoing renovations; hopefully they're extensive.

Back in my purple giant days (through mid-2005), FedEx's MEM ramp had about 150 trunk aircraft gates (mainline) and about 15 feeder gates. FedEx laid more concrete south of 9-27 and on the west side of the field near Airways, so they're anticipating about 170-180 or so soon. When the Guard leaves, that will only help matters more. Indy had about 80-90 gates with 15-20 feeders, and after the city moved I-70, they have room to get into the 140-160 range.

Unless FedEx significantly re-engineers the SuperHub, they just can't physically push many more packages through the system in Memphis without lengthening the time of the sort. FedEx can sacrifice some ramp space in MEM to add primary and secondary sort building space by upgrading markets from 2 727s to a single Airbus or DC10. At higher volume times, FedEx also resorts to point-to-point service to free up space in the hubs. They'll often have routes such as DFW-ORD, ORD-BOS, ATL-FLL, and a few others to keep MEM and IND efficient.

Indy is correct that much of the future growth will occur there, but it will complement Memphis and not be at the expense of our hub. Either way, it's a good problem for our local company to have.

It certainly is a good problem. They recently built a sorting facility here in Nashville at the airport on the west cargo ramp. This facility is actually designed to sort what leaves Nashville and comes in, as well as take the loads off of the MEM and IND facilities. They have a flight to/from Memphis and a one from Atlanta that stops here and then two to/from IND. This facility is designed to take the loads off the two main centers in MEM and IND while taking care of the local needs as well. This isn't a huge facility, but it has already outgrown itself and it has been open since August, so go figure. THere are plans to expand it.

Of note: They currently use two A300's on those routes although due to the shortage of A300's in the system currently, they have been using a A300 and a B727-100.

This is what it's all about folks!!!

67683802.cUNVD6hI.afedexa3001a.jpg

I always liked that logo. I think its pretty cool how they put the arrow-> between the Ex.

Thats an Airbus 300 isn't it?

I didn't even notice that Arrow! :)

Can someone post a pic of a gate for freighter? i ddin't know that freighters use gates (thought they use FMC highloaders and that's it)!

(back to the topic of a United/NW merger) I notice that people on airliners.net are now beginning to somewhat debate how MEM may actually be an asset in a merger like that due to the fact that it's the only southern base.

How could they miss that in the first place.. You said it all along Northern'. Thats one of the more logically discussions in a long time from that forum.. You have to think from a business standpoint...My girlfriends Dad works for NWA and said that the rumor is that NWA and Continental are discussing a possible merger. Anyone else hear this?

Archived