Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

I didn't even notice that Arrow! :)

Can someone post a pic of a gate for freighter? i ddin't know that freighters use gates (thought they use FMC highloaders and that's it)!

That picture I posted is of a "freighter" gate. Regardless of where it's at, they are all pretty much the same. They pull them up to a pole with wireless internet and lights, and from there the jet is unloaded and then loaded. Nothing too spectalcular.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could they miss that in the first place.. You said it all along Northern'. Thats one of the more logically discussions in a long time from that forum.. You have to think from a business standpoint...My girlfriends Dad works for NWA and said that the rumor is that NWA and Continental are discussing a possible merger. Anyone else hear this?

I've heard this, but my brother works for Continental, and he said that it may not happen because the execs at both airlines are proud of their respective companies and don't want to resort to a merger unless it is absolutely necessary. Steenland of NW moreso than the execs at Continental.

Has anyone heard any updates on the possible Air France flight?

Too early to tell. But these types of things take time, alot of time to work out. There is quite a bit of government involvment in a venture like that. Not to mention, they were suppose to visit other cities, and I imagine they are still doing that.

I would place a bet on the first or second quarter of next year as a time when a decision, if one is made, will be announced. Perhaps a bit later. But that is my surmise.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's MBJ talks about the issue with the Memphis hub. Interesting to see that nobody thinks it would completely shut down with a merger, but they say that it would most likely shrink and go to focus-city status or act as a smaller hub. Yet...what I found interesting is that with a NW/American merger (model MBJ gives), several analysts claim that MEM feeder traffic doesn't really interfere or overlap with the AA hubs at DFW and St. Louis...so that is a plus and a security blanket for MEM. They also included some reports that NW will remain alone and not merge and keep MEM. we'll see...i still think NW/UA is a feasible merger and has the best options for MEM remaining as a hub.

This week's MBJ talks about the issue with the Memphis hub. Interesting to see that nobody thinks it would completely shut down with a merger, but they say that it would most likely shrink and go to focus-city status or act as a smaller hub. Yet...what I found interesting is that with a NW/American merger (model MBJ gives), several analysts claim that MEM feeder traffic doesn't really interfere or overlap with the AA hubs at DFW and St. Louis...so that is a plus and a security blanket for MEM. They also included some reports that NW will remain alone and not merge and keep MEM. we'll see...i still think NW/UA is a feasible merger and has the best options for MEM remaining as a hub.

I don't know much about this, and I was kind of wondering what is a merger and what does NW need a merger for?

I don't know much about this, and I was kind of wondering what is a merger and what does NW need a merger for?

A merger is basically where one company makes an offer on another company and that company agrees to it. Rather than a complete acquisition, there is some partnership (i.e. name changes). For example, with the America West/US Air merger, America West bought US Airways, but they kept the name US Airways but had the HQ in Phoenix rather than in VA. Northwest may need a merger due to the fact that it would be considerably smaller than other airlines...and size does matter in this industry. Northwest has already fallen from fourth to fifth in terms of size, and I doubt it wants to drop any further. Also, many speculate that mergers are going to be necessary to keep the industry afloat...basically, there needs to be fewer airlines.

I guess NWA's DC10 will not be coming back to MEM... What're the DC10's replacemnts or is NWA actually reducing its seat inventory?? Any update on NWA's MEM hub?

Quote from ATW Magazine:

NWA reaches agreement to sell seven DC-10s to ATA Airlines

Thursday December 7, 2006

Bankrupt Northwest Airlines said in a court filing yesterday that it has agreed to sell seven DC-10-30s to ATA Airlines, a transaction NWA said would bring "relief" that will help it to reorganize and eventually emerge from Chapter 11 protection.

The carrier plans to retire all its DC-10s by the end of next month and said it marketed the seven planes to "70 potential purchasers." ATA's offer, which was not revealed, "represents the best available transaction for the sale of the aircraft," it said in the filing.

NWA operated 24 DC-10-30s prior to entering bankruptcy but said it will have just one left if the sale to ATA is cleared, and will remove all such aircraft from service no later than Jan. 31. The agreement with ATA calls for the DC-10s to be delivered beginning this month and continuing through February. Each of the seven will be sold with three engines, NWA said. Two additional spare engines also will be sold to ATA.

by Aaron Karp

I guess NWA's DC10 will not be coming back to MEM... What're the DC10's replacemnts or is NWA actually reducing its seat inventory?? Any update on NWA's MEM hub?

The DC10s will be done in NWA's fleet by late winter/early spring 2007. The DC10 was replaced in MEM and in other markets by the A330-200 and A330-300 models. Over the next several years, NWA replace the DC10s with more A330s and Boeing's new 787.

As for MEM-AMS capacity, NWA uses the A330-200 in winter which actually has fewer seats (approx 240-250) than the DC10-30s they used previously. For the summer, they should upgrade the flight to an A330-300 (280-300 seats) which is marginally larger than the DC10.

The DC10s will be done in NWA's fleet by late winter/early spring 2007. The DC10 was replaced in MEM and in other markets by the A330-200 and A330-300 models. Over the next several years, NWA replace the DC10s with more A330s and Boeing's new 787.

As for MEM-AMS capacity, NWA uses the A330-200 in winter which actually has fewer seats (approx 240-250) than the DC10-30s they used previously. For the summer, they should upgrade the flight to an A330-300 (280-300 seats) which is marginally larger than the DC10.

Sorry, I know nothing about planes, but is that the one with the reclining first class seats that make into a virutal bed? That's a cool plane!

I believe ATA wil be using the old DC-10's for Troop Transports to the Middle East, freeing up their 757-300's for domestic routes and the codeshare aggreement with them and Southwest to Hawaii. Should be fun to see for those who drive up to Fort Campbell to spot and photograph airplanes!

I suspect that if Southwest starts flying to Mexico and/or Canada, ATA will be partaking in some of the routes until Southwest gets enough aircraft. Right now, they are rather limited with aircraft availability in the system.

NPR just reported that Continental and United are in merger talks. What do you guys think this means for NWA? Will they be even more pressured to find an airline to merge with??

NWA holds a golden share in Continental that gives them veto power over a merger. These mergers are good for NWA because it ultimately reduces capacity. American may become interested in NWA because of it is valuable Pacific routes, which American badly needs. American has the cash to do it too.

Aerotropolis

A new study examined the impact well-planned, functional airports have on their city's economy and found that Memphis International Airport has the highest per capita impact of any airport in the nation, pumps $21 billion into the local economy, and accounts for 166,000 jobs (1 in 4 in Memphis metro). An aerotropolis is a city that depends on its airport to be "giant economic engines that, when planned well, become the focal point of a far-flung region, both in employment and economic agility."

They've labeled Memphis as the closest thing the U.S. has to an aerotropolis. Read about it here.

Here is the full article on the rise of Aerotropolis around the world.

Aerotropolis

Well, the bad news in the article is that other countries are way ahead in the game when it comes to developing Aerotropolis. And if the article were to be believed, Memphis will soon be dethroned from the stature of the world's busiest cargo airport (in fact fall way behind). All around the world mega projects are being dreamed, designed and developed to capture a share of an ever-growing global trade.

Quite a fascinating read.

Here is the full article on the rise of Aerotropolis around the world.

Aerotropolis

Well, the bad news in the article is that other countries are way ahead in the game when it comes to developing Aerotropolis. And if the article were to be believed, Memphis will soon be dethroned from the stature of the world's busiest cargo airport (in fact fall way behind). All around the world mega projects are being dreamed, designed and developed to capture a share of an ever-growing global trade.

Quite a fascinating read.

It's kinda sad that Dubai is taking over everything, but MEM shouldn't be too discouraged. Personally, I think the government should look at eminent domain options for a lot of the blighted apartments and neighborhoods surrounding the airport. That would give room to expand.

Aerotropolis

A new study examined the impact well-planned, functional airports have on their city's economy and found that Memphis International Airport has the highest per capita impact of any airport in the nation, pumps $21 billion into the local economy, and accounts for 166,000 jobs (1 in 4 in Memphis metro). An aerotropolis is a city that depends on its airport to be "giant economic engines that, when planned well, become the focal point of a far-flung region, both in employment and economic agility."

They've labeled Memphis as the closest thing the U.S. has to an aerotropolis. Read about it here.

Interesting article. Fed Ex has certainly been a mega driving force in Memphis. Isn't memphis the top distribution city in the US?

MEM wins concession award for 2006 (I thought we already won this??)

Concourse B is "Best Overall" for its concession program. Food and Beverage also won first place and retail specialty won second place. This competition was between 50 airports throughout the U.S. and Canada and the criteria was based on the "mix of concessions, design, passenger flow, price, and the program's revenue performance."

Seriously, did we win something different, or did the MBJ just decide to report this today??

Howdy howdy...I must say, the airport is looking pretty good! I flew out/in over the holiday, and it was really packed. I heard a few more sources referencing an expansion of the C concourse to the north once the cargo facility currently locating that land is relocated across the runway adjacent to C.

However, I gotta ask...do any of you have predictions/hopes/resolutions for MEM or the Tunica airport in 2007?

My predictions:

If NW remains an independent carrier, additional international routes will be announced at the end of 2007 due to the arrival of the 787 in 2008.

Terminal and concourse renovations/expansions will be announced in the middle of the year perhaps.

One new carrier will commence service at MEM.

Tunica will land a new carrier.

My dreams/resolutions:

Work begins on a light rail station under the airport.

Eminent domain is declared on a few surrounding neighborhoods at MEM and FX eagerly expands.

MEM-NRT, MEM-LGW, and MEM-CDG are all announced! (I'm thinking the first and third are the most realistic)

NW considerably beefs up service.

Archived