Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that, I was just asking if the airport owned any land on the east side of Swinnea Rd.

I don't think they own anything east of Swinnea, AFAIK. The airport property itself ends at Swinnea, and doesn't stretch any further (with the exception of FedEx, which stretches all the way out to Tchulahoma Rd north of Winchester). Any new development would likely be done west of Airways at this point.

I don't think they own anything east of Swinnea, AFAIK. The airport property itself ends at Swinnea, and doesn't stretch any further (with the exception of FedEx, which stretches all the way out to Tchulahoma Rd north of Winchester). Any new development would likely be done west of Airways at this point.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

so the airport still would have the option of building another parallel runway west of airways and i guess they would have to tunnel airways or bridge over it.

No, they wouldn't put a runway there as many residents (those that remained after the abatement) would then complain about it being too close to their houses.

A fourth runway would most likely be placed south of Shelby Dr on the old McKellar Park site, running east-west as opposed to north-south. If that were the case, then they would have to build another terminal in order to accomodate the air traffic that would utilize the runway.

No, they wouldn't put a runway there as many residents (those that remained after the abatement) would then complain about it being too close to their houses.

A fourth runway would most likely be placed south of Shelby Dr on the old McKellar Park site, running east-west as opposed to north-south. If that were the case, then they would have to build another terminal in order to accomodate the air traffic that would utilize the runway.

that'd make sense with the master plan calling for a new south terminal by 2020 or 2030.

so has anyone noticed the Frontier commercials and ads? They seem to be pretty pumped on the Memphis market. The commercials are frequent, and the ad in the CA today was the first I saw, but one of my friends said they've seen a few others. They're making a much bigger splash into the area than America West did...and America West still had tight loads up until the merger with US Airways. 10 days until flights start. Yay!

I'm flying Frontier to San Diego in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. I always liked Northwest, but they pissed me off when they replaced most routes with tonka jets, even on flights that were always full.

haha, yeah, i'm moving up to boston for college in the fall, so i was originally pissed that it was pure RJs on the MEM-BOS flights, but they were upgraded to an RJ/DC-9/A320 mix, so that's nice...keep us posted...i think Memphis will like Frontier! I think at the least it will show Northwest that it can't take MEM for granted

so has anyone noticed the Frontier commercials and ads? They seem to be pretty pumped on the Memphis market. The commercials are frequent, and the ad in the CA today was the first I saw, but one of my friends said they've seen a few others. They're making a much bigger splash into the area than America West did...and America West still had tight loads up until the merger with US Airways. 10 days until flights start. Yay!

I've seen one of their commercials almost everyday. They're pretty funny.

Hopefully Frontier will attract more people to fly through KMEM, since NW has higher airfares and dominates the airport.

• 4 weeks later...

hey, guys...apparently Frontier is quite happy with the results of MEM operations in its first month. In December, MEM-MCO (Orlando) will go to twice daily service, and MEM-DEN service goes to three times daily service in November. This is very interesting considering Frontier posted an overall loss for its fiscal year and the major reason for the loss was delays at the Denver hub. I'll be interested to see Frontier's plan at MEM over the next year or so. At least this shoots away the doubt of some who thought the MEM-DEN twice a day, MEM-MCO daily, and MEM-LAS daily service would be it for Frontier's presence at MEM.

hey, guys...apparently Frontier is quite happy with the results of MEM operations in its first month. In December, MEM-MCO (Orlando) will go to twice daily service, and MEM-DEN service goes to three times daily service in November. This is very interesting considering Frontier posted an overall loss for its fiscal year and the major reason for the loss was delays at the Denver hub. I'll be interested to see Frontier's plan at MEM over the next year or so. At least this shoots away the doubt of some who thought the MEM-DEN twice a day, MEM-MCO daily, and MEM-LAS daily service would be it for Frontier's presence at MEM.

I flew Frontier last weekend. There are some good and bad things about the service. The planes are very nice (brand new), they have DirecTV for $5, and the employees actually seem to like working for the company. However, on departure I became aware of some of the advantages of taking the hub airline. I got to the front of the baggage line exactly 45 minutes before my flight left. As I walked up to the counter, the agent announced "no more bags." I asked, "What do you mean no more bags?" She said they cut it off 45 minutes before the flight time. I've been flying NWA all my life, and I never had this problem with them. They have no cutoff time. I asked her to just put it on the next flight (which NWA automatically does if it misses your flight), but she said that they couldn't do that. To get to my final destination, I would have to wait till the next day to go (since there is no hub network, you can't be put on the next flight or rerouted). Since I had liquids in my bag, I couldn't just take it to the gate. My only option was to stand in the long security line and take a risk. If my bag didn't fit through the x-ray machine or they found my liquids, I was screwed. Luckily it barely fit and they didn't find my liquids. Other than that, the service was fine. My flight out of Denver was delayed an hour and half, so they gave us free DirecTV. I would fly Frontier again, but probably only on leisure trips. If I absolutely have to get there, I'm taking NWA even if it costs more.

i've heard a few people say this. granted, there's much more frequency and selection with northwest simply because we're a NWA hub; however, it would be interesting to see Frontier build Memphis up. I think they have tapped the Memphis O&D market just as Southwest tapped Nashville's once SW started to grow at BNA. The legacies do keep O&D down simply because they monopolize prices. It'd be nice to see Frontier build MEM into a focus city, and the only reason I see that happening is because lately they seem to go into airports where Southwest can't get into...MEM appears to be one of them. Granted, I don't see how Frontier would be able to continue any growth by having just one gate. Maybe...MAYBE...this would encourage airport officials to work on the northward expansion of the C concourse onto the site of where those cargo areas for DHL, Northwest, and Delta are.

Let's work so it doesn't have to be an either/or situation!

seriously...the one good thing is Northwest can always route more people through Memphis to fill up the flights, and Frontier would have to be O&D traffic unless Frontier started connecting passengers through here. i dunno...i think it is fairly light competition so far...haven't seen any $50 flights to Denver yet

I come in peace.

I was in your town this weekend and was granted permission to photograph at that airport. I caught the rush of FX planes into town and then caught them leaving later that afternoon. It was most impressive to see. The airport looked nice, a bit dated, but nice nonetheless. It was busy being a holiday weekend and all so there was plenty of traffic around the terminal. The airport grounds are nice with some of the streets almost looking like they belong in a residential neighborhood somewhere. I was impressed overall. Here are some of the pics I have posted on my pbase site linked below. Just click on the addy, and go to the "All Galleries" page and you'll see "Memphis International Airport" listed in the root galleries. Enjoy and happy Memorial Day! And there's one in here just for you NWA fans too!

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

The first Boeing 757 to enter service for FedEx is just about ready for a revenue service.

original.jpg

Amsterdam flight:

original.jpg

great pics, Lexy! I know all of the Memphis aviation fans (myself included) will appreciate them due to the fact that it's rare for spotters to have the chance at MEM to take any. ya, the airport is dated. The rotunda in B is pretty modern, tho...apart from that, it needs modernizing.

great pics, Lexy! I know all of the Memphis aviation fans (myself included) will appreciate them due to the fact that it's rare for spotters to have the chance at MEM to take any. ya, the airport is dated. The rotunda in B is pretty modern, tho...apart from that, it needs modernizing.

The next time I am down there (which "should" be before the end of summer or so) I will try to get some terminal pics. It's really not that bad really. I kinda think it's cool in a retro kind of way, but that's just me.

The airport doesn't mind people taking pics so long as you get permission prior to coming down. I had permission from FedEx and from KMEM Airport Operations/Police to pretty much drive around the airport all day snapping away. Plus, a good knowledge of what's "Legal" and what's "Not Legal" helps too. If it's public tax payer land and not inside the airport fence, police have little authority over photographers ability to take pictures of airplanes. That's a whole other story though. LOL!!

We had a great time though. And we look forward to making a trip back down there soon! Be sure to check out the website in my signature line!!!

Archived