Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

Lexy, did you realize that you are in the Memphis forum? And mentioning BNA??? Seems like you have a double standard here...Stop talking trash on the Memphis forum...I don't see anyone talking trash in Nashville's but you either...

Since joining UP you have made several trollish posts, questioned moderation over some sort of perceived Middle Tennessee bias, and now have tried to incite another forumer. We don't have time for stuff like this at UP and have rules that clearly prohibit such behavior.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing the A319 will be operating the route. Just to add to the news, Continental Airlines will be adding service to Memphis from Cleveland, starting May 4, 2008. The route will be operated by an Embraer 145 twice a day.

Nah, it will be the 737. Continental doesn't have any Airbus aircraft in its fleet

• 2 weeks later...

The new control tower at MEM will start construction in January. It will be 336 feet tall - 136 feet taller than the current one. The new tower will also have a cab that's twice the size of the current one.

Article here>>

Is it basically a clone of everyone else's octagonal grey little thing?

Definitely good news! Just curious, do any of you believe that our dual- hub airport can ,one day, become the first U.S. city to be an aerotropolis?

I think we're by far the furtherest along in becoming an aerotropolis, so...yes.

According to a study by the Sparks Bureau of Business and Economic Research/Center for Manpower Studies at the University of Memphis, the airport has a $21.7 billion impact on the local economy and one in four jobs are linked to it. Dr. Kasarda called Memphis the lone aerotropolis in the United States with

^ I would agree with Rardy's assessment that we are the furthest along at this point in time. Hopefully Memphis will continue to build on its lead and fully develop and take advantage of the potential benefits of developing the city further into an aeropolis as part of its economic development strategy. Good solid city leadership, long term planning, and marketing will be key.

Agreed. I think many people fail to realize how powerful MEM really is, with assessments like little ole' Memphis. I feel its a much bigger operation going on in the Whitehaven area.

An aerotropolis usually focuses on logistics, telecommunications, time-sensitive manufacturing and then a spawn of retail, hotels, entertainment, offices, exhibition complexes will act as fillers along with good usage of greenspace. Pertaining to logistics, Memphis not only serves as the Distribution Center of America but also, is on pace to becoming -if not already- North America's Logistics Center. Once construction completes, it will be an advantage to be located along the NAFTA corridor. Doesn't Memphis have a significant presence of telecommunications, a rapidly growing industry in America? The new Nike Distribution Center is the first of others to come to the area. I too would say this city has a great chance of turning things around.

Long-term planning is definitely what would be required, especially seeing how long it is taking Dubai World Central. It took the emirates ruler at least a decade with the $33 billion DWC which has three times the capacity of FedEx's.

Agreed. I think many people fail to realize how powerful MEM really is, with assessments like little ole' Memphis. I feel its a much bigger operation going on in the Whitehaven area.

An aerotropolis usually focuses on logistics, telecommunications, time-sensitive manufacturing and then a spawn of retail, hotels, entertainment, offices, exhibition complexes will act as fillers along with good usage of greenspace. Pertaining to logistics, Memphis not only serves as the Distribution Center of America but also, is on pace to becoming -if not already- North America's Logistics Center. Once construction completes, it will be an advantage to be located along the NAFTA corridor. Doesn't Memphis have a significant presence of telecommunications, a rapidly growing industry in America? The new Nike Distribution Center is the first of others to come to the area. I too would say this city has a great chance of turning things around.

Long-term planning is definitely what would be required, especially seeing how long it is taking Dubai World Central. It took the emirates ruler at least a decade with the $33 billion DWC which has three times the capacity of FedEx's.

If you think of our logistics planning, each of the five railroads has recently completed or announced expansion; we have two interstates in the construction stage (a third if you count I555), and a third in development to add to our existing two; and a proposed additional bridge. A number of critical interchanges have been or will be redesigned (one of the most notable being Crump-55). I don't know what's going on in the IT/software/tech side of logistics, but I hope we're as advanced on that end as we are in getting the infrastructure necessary to sustain our position. It would also be nice to fulfill the potential of the former bases at Blytheville and Millington to add to our abilities. Finally, let's get on board on the leading end of aerospace. Look how that's affecting Albuquerque.

Albuquerque is very impressive with over 100 companies with roots with Kirtland Airforce base. Major players within the aviation cluster includes Boeing, Lockeed Martin Corp., Honeywell Inc. Defense Avionics System, Goodrich Corp. Space Flight Systems Division, and GE Aircraft Engines. I certainly hope our proposal can lure companies like these.

It also said that DFW -arguably the best airport layout in America- is in good position to becoming an aerotropolis

In all honesty, even though I'm a huge fan of MEM and all that goes on there, I really questioned the whole aerotropolis notion because, apart from being in the center of Metro Memphis, it's also kind of in the armpit of Memphis. However, seeing all the revitalization efforts that are going on with Brooks Road as well as investments to expand Medtronic and Smith+Nephew's offices in the area as well as to expand Graceland, I have to say that I can definitely see MEM becoming a true aerotropolis. However, I think the Brooks Road revitalization efforts are truly key to helping the aerotropolis from living up to its full potential.

^LOL...that's kinda harsh. The airport isn't exactly the armpit...

But now let's be fair. The airport area does include some nice developments - specifically the office park off 240 at Millbranch with Medtronic. And airports rarely sit in nice areas, because honestly, they don't make very good neighbors. I can think of a LOT of airports I've flown in and out of that make MEM not look so bad (specifically LAX and LGA).

But back to the aerotropolis, I really think the concept is based off the number/rate of jobs rather than aesthetics or crime rates...

Albuquerque is very impressive with over 100 companies with roots with Kirtland Airforce base. Major players within the aviation cluster includes Boeing, Lockeed Martin Corp., Honeywell Inc. Defense Avionics System, Goodrich Corp. Space Flight Systems Division, and GE Aircraft Engines. I certainly hope our proposal can lure companies like these.

It also said that DFW -arguably the best airport layout in America- is in good position to becoming an aerotropolis

I think they're also the home for the new Virgin Galactic and one of the "very light jet" companies (Hondajet or Cessna or something?). Of course they have lots of space to play with and to risk with accidents, but I'm impressed with how cutting-edge they are when it comes to aerospace. Hopefully we can develop something like that. It would attract lots of professional degree types from around the world.

Actually its Eclipse Aviation that is located in Albuquerque but close. Albuquerque has roots with the aviation industry that's decades old. Doesn't Albuquerque have space program too? You know, I just thought about something, Memphis has an extended campus for Embry Riddle University. Its an aviation institution and a pretty major one. The main campus is in Florida and is one of the best in the country. Hopefully Memphis can get more institution like this; it would most definitely educate the community and put to rest the negativity about Memphis not having quality institutions, which is totally inconsistent.

^The concept of an "aerotropolis" doesn't have anything to do with the airline/aeronautical industry (sorry if I'm reading you guys wrong, but I've finally figured out how Albuquerque come into the conversation).

Kasarda defines an aerotropolis as "an aviation linked urban form consisting of an airport surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of light industrial space, office space, upscale retail mix, business-class hotel accommodations, restaurants, entertainment, recreation, golf courses, and single and multiple-family housing." See more here>>

Basically, it's jobs and lifestyles that are linked to, or dependent on, an airport. It's using the airport as a tool for economic growth, which Memphis has been successful at mainly because of FedEx. Almost a quarter of Memphis jobs, according to Sparks Bureau of Economic Research, are dependent on MEM.

This really has nothing to do with aviation or aeronautics, because they comprise a very small percentage of those jobs.

An aerotropolis is the link to all that you have mentioned, which does have something to do with aviation. I was just digging further into what an aerotropolis could bring..I am thinking long-term of course. What the roads, railways, and seaports did for business in the 20th century, airports are now doing in the 21st. Its a new era of business and the airports are beginning to be the stepping stone. Family housing is also available within an aerotropolis, so schools and institutions will be in demand.

^The concept of an "aerotropolis" doesn't have anything to do with the airline/aeronautical industry (sorry if I'm reading you guys wrong, but I've finally figured out how Albuquerque come into the conversation).

Kasarda defines an aerotropolis as "an aviation linked urban form consisting of an airport surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of light industrial space, office space, upscale retail mix, business-class hotel accommodations, restaurants, entertainment, recreation, golf courses, and single and multiple-family housing." See more here>>

Basically, it's jobs and lifestyles that are linked to, or dependent on, an airport. It's using the airport as a tool for economic growth, which Memphis has been successful at mainly because of FedEx. Almost a quarter of Memphis jobs, according to Sparks Bureau of Economic Research, are dependent on MEM.

This really has nothing to do with aviation or aeronautics, because they comprise a very small percentage of those jobs.

I wasn't directly linking aerotropolis to that. I was using the opportunity to brainstorm further initiatives the region can pursue into high-tech areas, using existing strengths and opportunities to springboard off of. There's no reason not to explore the pursuit of aeronautical industry.

Edit: I just thought of this -- aeronautics also provides one of the veins by which the logistics industry circulates from Memphis. Without those veins (air, water, land, rail), Memphis is isolated, and the aerotropolis doesn't really exist. Why not be on the forefront of tech in those respects?

Ouch! BusinessWeek dredges up the potential of a Delta-NWA merger again and kills the Memphis hub in the process. Delta and NWA are very different airlines and cultures and given the difficulty of the AmWest/USAirways merger, they may decide it's not worth the trouble. Then again, there are compelling revenue issues which make a merger attractive (Asia growth), so anything's possible.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflas...1030_734268.htm

Hopefully Memphis will retain its hub, but if these firms decide this is the best move for their shareholders and their companies future....I guess I can't blame them. Although it appears the precedent of AmWest/USAirways merger would damper the optimism on such a merger as jmduke and the article mention.

Hopefully Memphis will retain its hub, but if these firms decide this is the best move for their shareholders and their companies future....I guess I can't blame them. Although it appears the precedent of AmWest/USAirways merger would damper the optimism on such a merger as jmduke and the article mention.

RK, I hope Memphis retains its hub status as well, but the handwriting might just be on the wall, not so much because of anything particular to Memphis, but just the airline industry in general.

Memphis has been an airline hub since the early 70's (Southern to Republic to Northwest) and, I've read it's one of the longest running hubs in the US. So, if it gets dehubbed that shouldn't be a surprise.

But given that fact, and the fact that it's the no. 1 cargo hub in the world, I would think the airport commission is certainly experienced in the ways to maximize Memphis' role in aviation.

I dunno...at first I thought DL/NW was inevitable, but there are a few things that make me think otherwise these days:

1. Northwest just posted a $244 million profit that beat estimates and shows that it is doing pretty well on its own...it's also their best quarterly performance in 10 years.

2. If Delta were to acquire Northwest, it would surely make the airline go by the name of Delta and have HQ in Atlanta...this may not go over will in Washington, considering that A) Jack Oberstar (D-MN) is a senior congressman on the Transportation Committee and may not respond kindly to a merger that would take a major company's HQ away from his state and B) Georgia legislators already showed their hostility to letting Delta go when US Airways made the hostile takeover bid. In short, this merger would go through hell on Capitol Hill

3. One of the key items mentioned by airline analysts is that the legacies may look to merge in order to take out capacity and be able to charge what they wish...lemme tell you, combining two legacies won't do this since the legacies aren't the ones driving down ticket costs...the LCCs are. Get rid of those, and you can charge much higher prices and gain much larger profits. We've seen the NW deal with Midwest already, and now you may see people vying for the other LCCs (JetBlue, Spirit, etc.).

4. Everyone forgets the fleet compatibility issue as well as the union factor. Delta is largely Boeing while Northwest is largely Airbus...this would be a mess in itself for years to try to handle. Furthermore, Northwest is one of the most heavily unionized corporations in America...whereas Delta essentially has one union throughout the company.

5. United is also making itself prime for a merger and has repeatedly stated it would look to a carrier with a Southern presence. Many say Continental and United are a possibility, but Northwest may be a possibility as well considering the fleet compatibility and...ta da...a Southern hub! If legacies had to merge, I'd hope for this one simply because it would be the best case for MEM.

Anyway, I personally don't think it would happen. By no means do I rule out a NW/DL merger, but I think it would face serious opposition due to a monopoly on routes in the South and throughout the Eastern US. However, if it does happen, I don't think MEM would completely vanish...I could see it stay as a focus city or even possibly remain in its current state and act as a reliever airport to ATL. Either way, it could open MEM up for Frontier to expand even more. However, as mentioned previously, I really hope for the legacies that United/Northwest happend, for then you would see Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit duke it out while MEM would be fairly safe, IMO.

Archived