Memphis International Airport

northernbizzkit1

One of my biggest complaints about the airport is that it has the Northwest Arrivals/Departures monitors all over the place...but there isn't a general one. Continental and Delta are on the Northwest monitors (b/c of codeshares); however, I wish there would be a few with all of the arrivals and departures.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've mentioned in other MEM airport topics that I'd like to see a DTW-style terminal setup. The main terminal needs a total redo with the A, B, and C buildings all fully connected. The B concourse should be eliminated to allow better inbound/outbound flow during pushes. A series of shops and restaurants could be constructed behind the main terminal ticket counter where the moving walkways are today (a design similar to MSP's).

C concourse would need about 45-55 gates for NWA, requiring about 4500' in length from the north end of the current cargo ramp to the south end of the current terminal ramp and a tram above it for quick connections. A concourse should be lengthened, widended, and straigthened as well for 20-30 non-NWA gates. The courtyard would be about 1300' wide between A and C allowing for simultaneous inbound and outbound operations that aren't available today in the A-B and B-C alleys.

As for airfield improvements, cargo should be moved between UPS and the future ANG ramp, Twy. M should be extended north of Winchester road to connect with Twy. A, and Airways should be moved west to allow construction of a 4th parallel runway.

As for airport access, I wish an interstate connector could be constructed between I-55 and I-240, which would run roughly from the I-55 rest area north across the west side of the FedEx training center and link up with the current Plough Blvd. This would allow easier airport access from MS and cut "Malfunction Junction" traffic significantly. And of course, we all hope light rail connects the airport one day with the rest of the area.

I wonder if someone could get a picture?

For whatever reason, I have heard through some friends in aviation photography in Memphis, that picture taking at the airport there is frowned upon. Does anyone know if this is in fact true, and if so, why?? Some airpots like Dallas, NYC, LA and even here in Nashville allow (and in some cases encourage) people to take photographs so long as they stay in designated areas around the terminal and/or airfield. I know of one case where a friend was trying to get a picture of a FedEx MD-11 rotating @ KMEM and he was approached, and later questioned, by a KMEM police officer. Despite being on taxpayer, public property and not airport grounds. The reasoning for the questioning was because of 9-11 the officer told him. LOL!! Still, it is interesting.

For whatever reason, I have heard through some friends in aviation photography in Memphis, that picture taking at the airport there is frowned upon. Does anyone know if this is in fact true, and if so, why?? Some airpots like Dallas, NYC, LA and even here in Nashville allow (and in some cases encourage) people to take photographs so long as they stay in designated areas around the terminal and/or airfield. I know of one case where a friend was trying to get a picture of a FedEx MD-11 rotating @ KMEM and he was approached, and later questioned, by a KMEM police officer. Despite being on taxpayer, public property and not airport grounds. The reasoning for the questioning was because of 9-11 the officer told him. LOL!! Still, it is interesting.

ya thats true, theyve been discouraging photography of airports for security reasons

ya thats true, theyve been discouraging photography of airports for security reasons

Odd in that they can never REALLY stop anyone from taking pictures of an airport. Especially if they are just taking pictures of airplanes. Photographers are protected by laws. But it would seem to me that photos of or from KMEM would be free advertising for them on the internet. Who knows. LOL!!!

Ah man that sucks..

I know some of you have already heard about this project for KMEM, but here is an article I found on it with a drawing of it. Courtesy of memphisairport.org.

KMEM Project

It includes a new 5-lane wide inbound roadway, a new 7 level parking garage, new LED message signs, and the crown jewel a new 335 foot control tower with 850 square feet of space.

This is an awesome project and will make our airport even better! :thumbsup:

They need to spend quite a bit of money to upgrade this facility it's sad that second rate cities around us have nicer airports.

Agreed!!! While I love NWA, the city needs to stop letting them bully MEM...the concessions improvements are nice, but we need a lot more to go into the airport.

They need to spend quite a bit of money to upgrade this facility it's sad that second rate cities around us have nicer airports.

I think our airport is pretty nice and functional, especially considering it was built 40 years ago. It's nicer than LGA and many other larger airports.

I agree. I say music that gives visitors the vibe of Memphis. But I guess I am in the minority by liking the brick and low ceilings. What other airport has this identity?

Apart from the main concessions area, a large portion of the CLT airport has fairly low ceilings compared to airports such as DTW

A330 MEM-AMS

Interesting to see that this flight will have capacity for twenty-five more people. I have no doubt in my mind that those seats will be filled with relative ease since the DC-10 is always packed on this route.

I just can't wait for the 787, though...I still think that once it comes, you will see MEM blossom as an international hub for NWA.

I agree. I say music that gives visitors the vibe of Memphis. But I guess I am in the minority by liking the brick and low ceilings. What other airport has this identity?

I actually like the brick and the low ceilings too. Probably because KMEM was the first airport I ever saw, so I guess thats what I think an airport is supposed to look like. When I was a kid I remember going to KMEM to pick up relatives or drop them off and I actually got to wait at the gates and look at all the planes taxiing. That was also the first airport I flew out of. But you can't do that anymore thanks to the terrorists.

I was wondering, how many Northwest Clubs are still at the airport in Memphis. Didn't they close down the one at the Y in B concourse with the renovations. Did they replace that club? Finally, do any other airlines have clubs in Memphis? Just was curious about this!!

New A330 Takes Off from MEM Tonight!

Hints at More to Come?

Both of these articles were in this morning's Commercial Appeal. It's really exciting to see the MEM-AMS flight go to an A330...even though the DC-10 represents lost nostalgia to the airline world. Anyway, both of these articles seem to refute any lingering rumors of MEM closing as a NW hub. NW execs make it pretty clear that MEM is important to them due to convenience, and it seems that both articles hint at more international flights and connections to be at MEM in the future.

A330's are a cool airplane even though I am a fan of Boeing more than Airbus. Either way, that is an upgrade to the service at MEM.

As far as more international flights? We'll see, it may happen. Alot of that depends on good O&D numbers (which MEM doesn't have) coupled with good connecting numbers (which MEM does have). Only time will tell though. If they do offer more, it will most likely be Central America and Carribean flights that may get bumped from seasonal to year round and maybe a second Europe stop. I don't think either, or both, of those is out of the question.

Archived