Bushnell Tower/Bushnell Plaza

grock

With new condominiums coming on board, isn't it time this complex upgraded? The Bushnell was the first condo development in the 70s and it is showing its age with the outdated concrete.

1. They should do something with the Plaza. What is that for?

2. Open up the street level concrete. Who knows there are retail opportunities behind there?

3. Better lighting of the tower.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They definitly are still doing work outside of the tower to this day.

Also I was up there last Christmas time when there was a tour you could take where you could visit city residences that were decked out for the holidays such as a residence at the Linden, the Metropolitan and a condo on one of the upper levels of Bushnell Towers. It was amazing up there. The condo was awesome (NYC style) and the views unmatched

Bushnell Plaza is horribly designed. You can walk around the entire block and always feel that you are at the back of the development. The plaza on Main St. is NEVER used for anything. And tucking the retail under the plaza and Main St. facing away from the street was a mistake. A facelift is in order.

They should raze the small plaza on Main and the retail under it and build low rise residential with retail fronting Main St. Then there could be some kind of arched entrance from Main to the two existing Bushnell buildings.

Bushnell Plaza is horribly designed. You can walk around the entire block and always feel that you are at the back of the development. The plaza on Main St. is NEVER used for anything. And tucking the retail under the plaza and Main St. facing away from the street was a mistake. A facelift is in order.

They should raze the small plaza on Main and the retail under it and build low rise residential with retail fronting Main St. Then there could be some kind of arched entrance from Main to the two existing Bushnell buildings.

That's a very good idea, Luca. I think the owners of the complex should be encouraged to reconnect the property with the surrounding neighborhood.

Even though I agree that the complex as a whole acts more like a fortress than a friendly neighbor, I've always liked Bushnell Tower. It was built around 1970. While it may not be Hartford's most aesthetically-pleasing building in 2006, it serves as a good example of the International Style. Let's keep it in the story of Hartford's architectural evolution!

What's with the blue coating they are putting on the windows facing east? At least it's some color. A while back a poster claimed they talked to an official at the towers who said nothing could be done about the plaza because of the parking garage underneath.

I'm sorry, but like nearly every urban building from the 60's and 70's this building is hideously ugly and horribly planned. That section of main street could be one of the best in the city with the Wadsworth, Travelers, and the Church right there. But it is completely ruined by the totally unused and nonfunctional plaza that is a part of that building. Not only that, but the location is highly historic as it was the original site of the School for the Deaf. What a horrible way to memoralize the location. That plaza and the bus-stop in front of the Wadsworth conspire to really bring down what should be one of the best blocks in the city.

I'm sorry, but like nearly every urban building from the 60's and 70's this building is hideously ugly and horribly planned. That section of main street could be one of the best in the city with the Wadsworth, Travelers, and the Church right there. But it is completely ruined by the totally unused and nonfunctional plaza that is a part of that building. Not only that, but the location is highly historic as it was the original site of the School for the Deaf. What a horrible way to memoralize the location. That plaza and the bus-stop in front of the Wadsworth conspire to really bring down what should be one of the best blocks in the city.

Archived