Fall for Greenville 2006 !

TREY

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't posted pictures yet, so we will see if this works. However, in addition to Fall for Greenville, we also had StoneFest at Stone and Main. This is a great beginning to building Greenville brand as a musical mecca. Horizon Records and Gene Berger hope this will become an annual event during Fall for Greenville weekend.

It's nice to see programming where people are thinking of us as a community, rather than as competitive venues. Our success as a community is dependent on people thinking about the fact that people might go to Fall for Greenville, then go to StoneFest, then go to the Museum, then go to restaurants. We are all in this together.

stonefest.jpg

Don't forget to take the trolley! Its free. Do it. trolley talk on UP.

That's good to know for those coming into town from the South and West, but for those like me entering from the North, there is free parking at the Richardson Street garage and you can just walk right out to the festival via Piazza Bergamo. :thumbsup:

It's nice to see programming where people are thinking of us as a community, rather than as competitive venues. Our success as a community is dependent on people thinking about the fact that people might go to Fall for Greenville, then go to StoneFest, then go to the Museum, then go to restaurants. We are all in this together.

That's a nice utopian ideal and all; however, the reality of the matter is (for me at least) that I'd like to go to Fall for Greenville and then to Hillskills and then to Stonefest, but it's just not practical. There are only so many things that a family (especially one with young children) can do in a day. And today, that began and ended with Fall for Greenville, unfortunately. It would have been better for us had these been on separate weekends. Just a rational thought to throw into the discussion. Take it for what it's worth. ;)

That's good to know for those coming into town from the South and West, but for those like me entering from the North, there is free parking at the Richardson Street garage and you can just walk right out to the festival via Piazza Bergamo. :thumbsup:

Good luck finding a space there in the afternoon/evening though. It was full pretty early yesterday, as well as just about every other lot and garage in downtown. :lol:

Excellent photos, as usual. I missed Fall for Greenville this time. Seeing the photos of the crowds, maybe I'm not to sad to have missed it.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a great festival, and I think Greenville does a superb job each year. It's just that as I get older I have a harder time handling the throngs.

It's funny. In spite of the huge crowd, it didn't seem that crowded. The tents were more spread apart than in past years (probably because of the additional couple of blocks) and there were many more places with tables/chairs for people to sit and eat in between the tents.

It's always fun navigating a stroller through the throngs though. :lol:

Sometimes its all about the money.

I had to fight with the city Friday night to go back to my original spot on the sidewalk.

They originally told me that they did not want me on the sidewalk during the festival but I could park on the street (Mcbee, at the handicap spot 20ft from my cart). So i asked will there be anything on Mcbee. They said yes, there would be plenty. So I didnt give them a hard time and agreed.

Well, that was a big mistake.

I was buried by some wine tasting tent and there was nothing else on Mcbee besides that.

From 5:00 - 6:00 Fri. night I sold about 4 Hot Dogs. So I took a walk around to see how the fair was going and it was packed. I saw Greenfeilds on Main St. Selling a Kosher Hot Dog for 5 tickets and they were flying out of there like hot cakes. Now, I know Im not part of the festival and I dont mind competetion but something was seriously wrong. If anyone was walking on Main St and looked down Mcbee there was NO reason for them to stray from Main St.

So I tracked down the events people and the said who I had to speak to. I tracked that person down and I was treated like a peice of crap. This person was so rude. I simply asked if I could move closer to Main st and they just kept saying no. No reason or nothing. Naturally I got pissed off and had to turn on the NY attitude.

They told me I was lucky that I was even allowed there.

So I freaked out and had to remind them I pay for a Certifiacte of Occupancy at that corner.

I said"I bet if I paid you money and you got a percentage of my sales you would move me"

The reply was "Damn right we would."

After much fighting I demanded to go to my regular spot on Mcbee and Main. They finally agreed but told me I would do worse cause I would be buried behind a beer truck.

Naturally I took my chances.

Needless to say the weekend turned out ok for me. that next hour I finally moved I sold about 120 dogs.

Far cry from 4 the previous hour.

Im sorry about this long post but I needed to vent. This really pissed me off. Just took something that was supposed to a great time and made it sour.

Thought you guys here would like to know.

It's a bummer that they treated you in such a manner. That does put a bad taste in my mouth as well. They really should respect your presence there as you're no different from Mast General Store, Bellicino's, or anybody else that has an actual store front on Main Street. You should be allowed to capitalize on a busier than normal weekend just as the rest of the businesses downtown suely did.

When I was there on Saturday, you were at your nomal location. I noticed your "We accept cash!!!" sign on the cart, too. Was there anyone attempting to pay you in tickets? Regardless, I'm sure you got some business from people that didn't want to mess with the festival tickets. Aside from the Pumpkin Cheesecake from Two Chefs and the Cookies from Cookies by Design (both annual traditions with our family), we stayed away from the food this year and opted to eat at Bellicino's.

Archived